Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

I don't play along and I haven't gone mad.
Meep.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Bear McBear on 13 October, 2014, 12:59:21 PM

That's pretty funny, but the media isn't at all responsible for UKIP's success and I'm getting a bit bored of people who say that it is.

UKIP are doing well because the Lib Dems are in government and the protest vote had to go somewhere.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 13 October, 2014, 05:51:59 PMthe media isn't at all responsible for UKIP's success

I strongly disagree - although they're not the only factor it's clear as daylight that the constant heavy bias with regards to covering them INCESSANTLY hasn't helped in the least. Not to mention the fact that the TV debates will feature them and not say... ANY OTHER PARTY WITH THE SAME OR MORE MPS THAN THEM

I signed this petition today:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/invite-all-small-parties-to-join-the-election-television-debates?bucket=fb&source=facebook-share-button&time=1413206709

It'll likely do diddly squat but the anti U K I P protest has to go somewhere (seemingly just the internet)

Proudhuff

well there are plenty other parties out there to vote for, but they don't have self-fullfilling cheerleaders in the media...
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 13 October, 2014, 06:04:41 PM
Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 13 October, 2014, 05:51:59 PMthe media isn't at all responsible for UKIP's success

I strongly disagree - although they're not the only factor it's clear as daylight that the constant heavy bias with regards to covering them INCESSANTLY hasn't helped in the least. Not to mention the fact that the TV debates will feature them and not say... ANY OTHER PARTY WITH THE SAME OR MORE MPS THAN THEM

I signed this petition today:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/invite-all-small-parties-to-join-the-election-television-debates?bucket=fb&source=facebook-share-button&time=1413206709

It'll likely do diddly squat but the anti U K I P protest has to go somewhere (seemingly just the internet)

Done and forwarded!
DDT did a job on me

CrazyFoxMachine

Here's another Green-specific one worth looking at as well:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/bbc-news-stop-this-media-blackout-of-the-green-party

The statistics are infuriating.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I get very worried with accusations of media bias, they strike me as calls for censorship.

The Green Party aren't a national party, and they aren't going to make any impact in the next election. Their best hope is to retain Brighton, and due to a mathematical miracle, get invited into coalition with Labour.

UKIP could very easily win a lot of seats, and hold the balance of power. The Lib Dems could very easily lose a lot of seats, and hold the balance of power. The broadcasters have to reflect that.

Professor Bear

I'm not calling for anyone to censor the BBC, but I would like it if they stopped publicising their school chums political projects and/or posting outright lies on their websites and Twitter feed even after Fox fucking News have debunked shit the BBC are still shovelling.

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 13 October, 2014, 05:51:59 PMUKIP are doing well because the Lib Dems are in government and the protest vote had to go somewhere.

So you're saying that it's complete coincidence that that protest vote went to a party that 18 months ago no-one had heard of?

Richmond Clements

QuoteThe Green Party aren't a national party

How's that then?

QuoteUKIP could very easily win a lot of seats, and hold the balance of power.

Or they could collapse if and when people finally understand they are party with racist polices, lead by a racist.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/feb/06/otherparties.politicalcolumnists

QuoteDr Alan Sked, its founder, left in a huff, and said of his fellow party members 'they are racist and have been infected by the far right'. He backed-up his claim by telling the Mail on Sunday that Nigel Farage, the co-founder and leader of the Ukip group of members of the European Parliament, had once told him that 'we will never win the nigger vote. The nig-nogs will never vote for us.'

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 13 October, 2014, 06:25:51 PM
I get very worried with accusations of media bias, they strike me as calls for censorship.

Greens: 1 MP. UKIP: Up until last week, ZERO MPs. How many times has Nigel Farage been on Question Time? And how many times has anyone from the Greens been on?

That's media bias. It's not censorship to suggest that the publicly-funded state broadcaster doesn't massively favour one minority party over another, regardless of how distasteful one might find one or other of those parties.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Or they could secretly burn down Parliament, blame the immigrants and Muslims, sweep to power on national outrage, start building resettlement camps and designating quarantine zones...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Bear McBear on 13 October, 2014, 06:31:13 PM
So you're saying that it's complete coincidence that that protest vote went to a party that 18 months ago no-one had heard of?

No, for several reasons, one of which is that they've been around a hell of a lot longer than that.

Really, there was nowhere else for the protest votes to go, but also the anti-EU, UK nationalist shit they spout plays well at Euro elections, and it snowballed from there.

Richmond Clements

QuoteGreens: 1 MP. UKIP: Up until last week, ZERO MPs. How many times has Nigel Farage been on Question Time? And how many times has anyone from the Greens been on?

Twice as much. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/just-how-much-media-coverage-does-ukip-get