Main Menu

Ron Smith does Red Dwarf

Started by Dark Jimbo, 19 November, 2012, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Filmore Faro?

Damnit I had no idea such a thing as this even existed - and it's good!  Sharp script, great art.  Ron's likenesses are excellent, without being remotely slavish or obviously photo-reffed.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 November, 2012, 09:34:44 AM
Damnit I had no idea such a thing as this even existed - and it's good!

The Smegazine is worth the time of any big RD fan. There is initially some very shoddy stuff in there, make no mistake, but once it finds it's feet the best stuff is brilliant, particularly in voulme II. And surprisingly varied, too - I'd say no more than half the strips are the boys having a typical TV-esque adventure like this 'un.

There are Ace Rimmer strips, Inquisitor strips, GELF strips, even Mister Flibble strips... The best is probably Nigel Kitching's epic Duane Dibley saga, set on the 1984-style Earth from Back to Reality. Duane wakes up to find he survived the group suicide attempt at the end of the episode; that he is actually real, and Red Dwarf was the fantasy; and he is now a wanted man for the killing of the beloved Voter Colonel (and his down-and-out brother). Assisted by a hallucination of the Cat (which only he can see or hear) it later does a Cold Deck and suddenly crosses over with the ongoing Jake Bullet strip, which blew my impressionable young mind at the time, I can tell you.
@jamesfeistdraws

CrazyFoxMachine

I was going to say that when the Cold Deck crossoverthon happened I hadn't felt that way since issue 100 of Sonic the Comic where all the stories bled into eachother. I literally couldn't sit down for days I was so excited.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 20 November, 2012, 12:44:53 PM
I was going to say that when the Cold Deck crossoverthon happened I hadn't felt that way since issue 100 of Sonic the Comic where all the stories bled into eachother. I literally couldn't sit down for days I was so excited.

God, you're right! Slowly but surely I'm rebuilding my STC collection when funds allow (Richard Elson is sooooo good), but issue 100 is an absolute bugger to get hold of.
@jamesfeistdraws

CrazyFoxMachine

I'm going to tease you horrifically and say that I remember having two copies of it but I think THE DREADED MOTHER chucked them away :P

shaolin_monkey

Bah!  Photobucket images blocked in work!!  Nuts - dying to see these pages!!  Hope my meagre iphone download allowance will cope when i view them later.

Dark Jimbo

I think my mum is to blame for the loss of my own original STC comics - not to mention the mysterious dissapearances of my Ghostbusters comics, my complete Jurassic Park run, and my original Smegazines. Bah! Mums - they give life with one hand and take away childhood comics with the other.

Shaolin Monkey - Let me know if you still have problems later and I can sort you out with an email of the scans or something.
@jamesfeistdraws

Trout

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 November, 2012, 01:19:36 PM
Mums - they give life with one hand and take away childhood comics with the other.

Pah! This happened with my mum and a pile of early progs. You kids don't know you're born, etc, etc, mumble...

I've never read this Red Dwarf comic but it looks pretty good. Would it be bad form to post some more?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 20 November, 2012, 02:10:42 PM
I've never read this Red Dwarf comic but it looks pretty good. Would it be bad form to post some more?

Beyond this one strip, you mean? It's certainly been more popular than I expected, and the original comic seems even less widely read than I thought. I'm very tempted - and given that it launched 20 years ago this year and folded in 94', I think it would be fair to say I wouldn't be treading on anyone's toes...?
@jamesfeistdraws

Trout

Yes, this is the first I've seen of it. Now that I think of it, I don't think I've read any TV tie-in strips. I've long meant to look for Arthur Ranson's Sapphire and Steele.

James Stacey

I sold my smegazines on ebay a few months ago. They are mostly crap with just the occasional diamond.

Spikes

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 20 November, 2012, 03:00:11 PM
Arthur Ranson's Sapphire and Steele.

There was talk a couple of years ago about this entire run being collected together and reprinted. As a Sapphire and Steel fan, id love to see that happen. The strip was pretty good stuff if i remember correctly.
Alas, nowt's materialised as yet, and probably never will TBH.

For the curious, some original art pages - HERE.

Trout

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 November, 2012, 06:15:35 PM
For the curious, some original art pages - HERE.

Oooh! Thanks for that. Tempting.

Dark Jimbo

As promised, here's part II, in which our Ron gets to stretch his artisitic wings a bit more -

@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

A crying shame we never saw more his colour work on Dredd.
@jamesfeistdraws