Main Menu

Where Are They Now: Cam Kennedy

Started by Jim_Campbell, 30 November, 2009, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

All the best for the future, Cam.

You captured the epic scale of the Big Meg beautifully, but the characters were equally exquisitely drawn.

So many great moments in Dredd, Rogue and beyond.

It's begging for a redraw of the last frame of Midnight Surfer - with Cam standing in for Chopper :)

Cheers

Steve

flip-r mk2

Thanks for all the great memories while I was growing up and the recent exitement of your Kidnapped and Jekyll and Hyde graphic novels Cam, hope you have a long a very happy retirement.

Best wishes

filip

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

SuperSurfer

Forever grateful for the awe inspiring artwork over the decades. Your work is amongst the best that ever graced the pages of 2000AD. Your Rogue Trooper art was just stunning and it looks just as fresh today as it did when I was a kid. I then fondly remember your first episode of Dredd and discussing with friends your imposing version of Dredd towering over the cits of MC1. You then went on to spoil us with so many classics.

All the best and enjoy your retirement.

Mattofthespurs

You're work is some of the best ever in the comics medium. Your 2000 AD and Star Wars stuff is quite honestly the best there is. You're Rogue Trooper and VC's stuff especially.

Enjoy your retirement knowing that you have given many hours of pleasure to us mere mortals.

Thanks and have fun.

Jim_Campbell

A very quick bump -- I shall get that e-mail sent off to Cam on Sunday. If you'd missed this thread, or had been meaning to add something and hadn't got round to it, tomorrow's your last chance!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

Enjoy the retirement Cam, for me you are the classic Rogue trooper artist, Fighting mann was great too.

Cheers

David

judda fett

Nice one Cam! Alongside Al Williamson, in my humble opinion, you are the finest artist to have illustrated Star Wars (espescially your outstanding Boba Fett work with John Wagner). All the best!

Pete Wells

Enjoy the well earned retirement Cam. Your work was absolutely awe inspiring, thank you so much!

dracula1

Mr. Kennedy, your unique artistic style and vision will never be matched. Your penned versions of Dredd and Batman are as great in imagination and technical excellence as those of Kirby and Neil Adams. Your inspirational work will be greatly missed.

TordelBack

Hope I haven't missed the boat, Jim - I found this strangely hard to write as a single paragraph:

Cam, many, many thanks for all years of pleasure your art has given me.  You have the distinction of being the definitive artist for three of my favourite fictional places:  Dredd's Mega-City 1, Rogue Trooper's Nu Earth and Han Solo's Galaxy Far, Far Away.  Your depiction of life in MC-1 is simply the gold standard, a fabulous mix of looming futuristic architecture and working vehicles moving through an undergrowth of enigmatic pipes, shuffling masses and grungy detritus.  You were the artist of three of my all-time favourite Dredd stories (Midnight Surfer, Sunday Night Fever and Two-Tonne Tony Tubbs) and it was your work on Return of the Assassin that got me to start buying 2000AD gain after many years absence.  Your Nu-Earth hardware, rusting robots and rage-filled villains made Rogue Trooper's crazy world believable.  Your work on Star Wars catches the look and feel of the original movie like no else's ever has, as well as telling clear, action-filled stories.  Enjoy whatever it is you plan to do next, and thank you again!

Woolly

How did i manage to miss this thread?!?

For what its worth Mr Kennedy, you're a 'kin legend!
Thanks for enriching my youth  :)

JayzusB.Christ

Congratulations, Cam, you drew the definitive and best Mega-City 1. You'll be missed.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

UPDATE!

Those of you who missed the deadline (and you know who you were), don't fret -- your messages have also gone to Cam, from whom I have now had another lovely reply.

Sadly, Cam reports that he has eye problems that mean that there's no realistic possibility of his doing any more comics work, but I wanted to relay the following:

Quote from: Cam Kennedy... Many, many thanks for sending me all those comments and wishes from the resta the guys back at the waterhole. Made this old artist feel really chuffed.

Thanks also from me for taking the time to put your appreciation into words, folks. It meant a lot to be able to pass them on.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

*warm glow*

Glad to hear Cam knows he's been appreciated so much by so many.  Said to hear about his eye problems, but I'm sure there's plenty of other things to take up his retirement and I hope he has a great one.  *sniff*
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Proudhuff

He is a lovely man and a great artist, well done CheersJim for putting this together too
DDT did a job on me