Main Menu

Doll...sorry. "Action Figures"

Started by Hawkmumbler, 30 July, 2014, 04:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I've fallen into a trap and I can't get out. With so many Dredd action figures on the horizon I was seriously questioning my stance in not buying such products, as it's yet another collecting fad I couldn't afford. But looking around their are now so many I just clamour to own.

So I wondered, are the any collectors of the articulate little beings amongst us?

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

radiator

Don't do it, HM.

Each to their own and all that, but (and I'm probably going to get lynched for saying this) to be brutally honest I think buying toys for oneself over the age of 10 is a bit embarrassing, and having a 'display' of them in the living room (IMO) always looks naff and a little tragic. Same with weapon replicas and pretty much all other merchandise.

My advice would be to spend your money on something you find equally aesthetically pleasing but is also classy and practical, like some nice furniture or clothes instead.

Misanthrope

Quote from: radiator on 30 July, 2014, 06:30:45 PM
Don't do it, HM.

Each to their own and all that, but (and I'm probably going to get lynched for saying this) to be brutally honest I think buying toys for oneself over the age of 10 is a bit embarrassing, and having a 'display' of them in the living room (IMO) always looks naff and a little tragic. Same with weapon replicas and pretty much all other merchandise.

My advice would be to spend your money on something you find equally aesthetically pleasing but is also classy and practical, like some nice furniture or clothes instead.

I don't understand why people pay lots of money to watch 22 men run around after a ball, falling over on occasion, but I wouldn't insult anyone who does it.

If it brings someone pleasure and it does not hurt anyone else, where is the harm?
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

locustsofdeath!

You mean something radiator finds aesthetically pleasing, classy and practical. If you dislike something*, that's cool, but what's the point of making a post like this? It seems designed to do little more than put someone else down, and that I don't understand. I may not like your ugly plaid couch, but I'd think "that's just tacky old radiator, bless him" and keep it to myself so you could continue to beam over money well spent.

*I have no such display in my living room. I do have a collection of action figures, though, as well as a house full of aesthetically pleasing, classy and practical furniture. Call me balanced.

M.I.K.

WARNING : BORING SNOB ALERT!      BE ON GUARD!       THIS BIT DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING IMPORTANT!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I think buying toys for oneself over the age of 10 is a bit embarrassing

I couldn't afford to buy myself many toys when I was under 10. My employers weren't paying me enough. People that use child labour are a bit unscrupulous like that.
You may quote me on that.

Steve Green

Most people over the age of 10 buy toys, they just try to cover it up by calling them something else.

Spaceghost

I've got several action figures, some are displayed in my living room. I'm also really clever, really funny, and I've shagged more lasses than you.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Frank

Not a popular opinion to express on a nerd board, radiator.  I remember you waxing lyrical about the aesthetic properties of films such as Aliens and Terminator in the past, you must be aware that other species of film nerds consider that fondness for something which gave you pleasure as a child in the same way you view grown men keeping their dollies in the original packaging.

CrazyFoxMachine

Radiator was Rog along and I claim my £10

which I'll probably spend on action figures.

JOE SOAP

If it's bringing in revenue for 2000AD I'm happy for grown men to collect cet obscur objet du désir.

Plus it keeps CF happy on rainy days.

shaolin_monkey

The first thing I did when I had surplus cash as an adult was buy the AT-AT my parents could never afford to get me as a child. It even has the chin guns intact, and has pride of place towering over my ninja turtles, Slaine and Ukko, wood-effect Nemesis, and Fallout 3 bobble head.

The other 2000AD figures I have are still in the packaging. I can't bring myself to open the Dredd figure with the sticker signed by Carlos Esquerra on the front.

I also have a dress-up costume uniform I occasionally wear.

Edit: almost forgot! I have a nice pine effect coffee table too.

JamesC

I like action figures but I've never been a 'collect them all' type. I just buy the odd bits and bobs that I really like if they're at a price I can afford/justify.
Even as a child I used to have bits and bobs of lots of different toy lines, but my favourite were Action Force (later to become GI Joe) as they always came with lots of accessories.

Steve Green

I've not been hugely fussed about collecting - when I was working at games companies it was something to decorate your desk with, but since I freelance now, it would be a bit strange.

I've got a couple of the 3A figures sitting on the shelf above the PC, but never really had the collecting bug.

If anything I'd like to reduce the amount of other physical stuff I have.

I'm more interested in the creation side (classing camera gear as toys) and the end result rather than the object itself.

If I had the space for a 3D printer, it would be something to tinker with, but actually keeping the end product wouldn't be for me, strangely.

I'm not going to criticise anyone who wants to collect though - like I said most people have their own toys, some are more obvious than others.