Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Wow, what an honour to be on the show covering these particular issues of Action. Thanks, Conrad.

If you get the chance check our Steve Green's marvellous commission where Carlos re-imagined this cover with Dredd, a fatty, and a string of sausages. It's possibly one of the greatest pieces of art in the entire history of the world.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and fifty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 495-498 of 2000AD, covering November of 1986. This episode Sláine sees the stars, Rogue Trooper gets a job offer, Dredd meets a god called Jose...or possibly Steve, Swifty heads home, Johnny Alpha heads to a war zone, and Ace Trucking is ten-ten never again! Also, there's a fair amount of singing in this one!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

We're very close to prog 500!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Some excellent proggage there with 500 around the corner!

I don't think Jose (or possibly Steve) was a reference, just random names chosen for comedic value.

As for Obby Osses, they can still be lethal - this poor woman died just a few weeks ago : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-48162818

And a Final word on Carlos's art - don't you love the way he does flashbacks? The fine lines and lack of black work perfectly - the story is still clear, but the 'otherness' is obvious - what technique. You mentioned also the regular run - that's a testament to his amazing reliability in turning out the pages week after week with no drop in quality, just like he did with the Apocalypse war. In Steve Green's touching tribute film shown at the Lawless con, Pat Mill says he tried to recall some anecdotes about creative wrangles or tight deadlines during his work on Crisis, but couldn't think of one because Carlos always just delivered, and it was always great.

SpaceSpinner2000

It is really amazing to see Ezquerra put out these massive stories so consistently. I mean, the last year (and going forward) for Strontium Dog is ridiculous: 21 progs of Max Bubba/Ragnarok Job, then 21 of Rage (and 10 of Mayger Minor and Warzone), then 25 of Bitch, with only 8 rest issues in between! Incredible, steady output, even in comparison to other artists of the era (except of Belardinelli, who churned out a massive amount of Ace Trucking in '86, whatever my opinion of it).
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed twelfth episode Conrad continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with issues 34-36 of Action! This time Dredger is under the sea, Hookjaw is in the Channel, the Kids are on fire, and it's snowing on the Russian front!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad.

You mentioned in this podcast that everyone from San Francisco knows Alcatraz can never be used as a prison again but it often gets re-opened in fiction. Can you explain here why it can't be re-opened?

Dandontdare

The city needs the tourist dollars!  :lol:

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 28 May, 2019, 08:50:14 PM
Thanks Conrad.

You mentioned in this podcast that everyone from San Francisco knows Alcatraz can never be used as a prison again but it often gets re-opened in fiction. Can you explain here why it can't be re-opened?

I say this a lot, especially because it does happen in fiction more than you'd expect. I'm also generally sensitive about San Francisco in fiction, because recently it's been a huge whipping boy for disaster and monster movies. ANYHOW! Reasons why Alcatraz would never be reopened as a prison:

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 May, 2019, 09:33:51 PM
The city needs the tourist dollars!  :lol:
This is true, but maybe not how you think. Whatever money the actual tours of the prison make, the piers that line the pay side of San Francisco are a key part of the city's tourist economy. Pier 39, where the ferrys that go to Alcatraz currently, is literally the biggest tourist spot in the city. Other parts of the water front are right next to the major league baseball stadium or massive fairgrounds. All of these places would be directly effected by having prisoners being taken to or released from a maximum security prison. If you decide to load and unload from further away, you might as well just take them to San Quentin, a much larger prison, which is further into the Bay. Like in most places NIMBY=ism (Not In My Back Yard) is pretty heavy in San Francisco, you can't even build a multi story building there because people are worried about the shadows it would cast. Also advances in physical training in the 21st century mean it's not even that inescapable anymore. There are literally marathon-like events where people make the swim from the island to the mainland. It can be done, and it'd be a risk, to have escaped cons just show up at the waterfront!

B. The actual island and facilities of Alcatraz have been out of commission for over 50 years, and while some parts have been kept up to a decent standard by the part service, a lot of the place has fallen heavily into disrepair and have been eroded away by the constant saltwater fog that comes off the SF Bay. Maintaining the place is generally super expensive, and is why the prison was shut down in the first place. Going in and restoring everything, from the ground up, then maintaining going forward, would be incredibly expensive in comparison even to building and maintaining a brand new prison.

III. I'm not sure if this is common knowledge in the UK, but the SF Bay Area has some of the most expensive real estate prices in the world, and as bad as it would be to live on Alcatraz (again, very foggy, also the island is home to thousands of sea birds that poop everywhere), if that real estate was for sale it would be HIDEOUSLY expensive. Some Tech-bro would immediately pay like a billion dollars to turn it into Galt's Island or something. Also, to get people to work at the prison you'd have to pay them enough to live in the Bay Area, and that is a big difference from other parts of the state, even the minimum wage is 26% higher there vs other places.

Look, I guess never say "never", but it seems extremely unlikely to me. It'd be like using the Tower of London or the Bastille as prisons again. But I've been wrong about things before, so who knows! Also, all this is why I didn't get into it on the show! :D

Dark Jimbo

Conrad's obviously covered it so much better than I already, but once you've been there it's pretty self-evident - the place is literally crumbling to bits!
@jamesfeistdraws

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 May, 2019, 10:58:43 AM

Conrad's obviously covered it so much better than I already, but once you've been there it's pretty self-evident - the place is literally crumbling to bits!

Haha, yeah, that's me really overthinking/over-explaining things :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 29 May, 2019, 05:21:35 PM
Haha, yeah, that's me really overthinking/over-explaining things :D

When someone does that is that called fansplaining*?

*Fansplaining might of course actually be a term that's used on this here social media and I'm so old and out of touch and only just come across mansplain in the last few months or so

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and fifty-seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 499-502 of 2000AD, covering December of 1986. This episode we revisit Tharg's head, Sláine ends one quest and starts another, Dredd is in the Christmas mood, Torquemurder returns, and grab your boots turnip head, 'cause you're in Bad Company now!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Also! If you want your 1986 opinions to be heard please send them in, either here or through email or other social media! Spinnies 1987 nominations close on June 15th 2019!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 03 June, 2019, 08:01:14 AMAlso! If you want your 1986 opinions to be heard please send them in, either here or through email or other social media! Spinnies 1987 nominations close on June 15th 2019!

Remind me - how many nominations do we get, and does it include summer sci-fi specials and annuals or just the prog?
If annuals are allowed - the 1986 one released in 1985, or the 1987 ones released in 1986?  (I realise you probably mention all this in the podcast, but the caches haven't gone through in time for me to listen in today's lunch hour*

* yes, I'm lucky enough to get a full hour for lunch!

Dandontdare

hmm .. something's up with the Apple podcast store today - this ep isn't showing up as usual.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 June, 2019, 04:22:08 PM
hmm .. something's up with the Apple podcast store today - this ep isn't showing up as usual.

I was trying spotify and the links at lunchtime but assumed that things just hadn't gone through the servers yet - I'll have a go at listening when I get home and report back on how successful I was.  Whatever time I get home.  There's a huge closure in the middle of town so it's anybodies guess what route I'll need to take to get there (there's some foreign indignantory coming to mess up our transport system).