Main Menu

new music recommendations, please!

Started by Tu-plang, 16 October, 2004, 10:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tu-plang

What new and interesting bands are out there?

Most new music tends to be by its nature a bit shit, but I keep feeling that I must be missing something.   I mean, it can't all be shit, can it?  Can anyone recommend some decent current bands that I may enjoy?

I am heavily into:
The Beatles
The Clash
The Jam
Radiohead
The Cure
The Flaming Lips

Any help appreciated.

esoteric ed

I've just got my hands on "a copy" of the latest album by Thirteen Senses entitled "The Invitation" and after a quick flick over the tracks it sounds pretty good.

Interpol's "Antics" is rather good too.

Did you get the recent special edition of London Calling by The Clash?

I'll playing "Town Called Malice" tonight in my set, it mixes in well with "Little Green Bag" ;-)

Ed

chimpanzor

Franz Ferdinand seem pretty good, each new song by them I hear is better than the last. Sorta old skool they are.

Slippery PD

The new Cure album is a return to form.
Franz Ferdinand are like old school indie pop, but better
If you can pick up the Zutons album which is a modern day 60's album (Who killed.....), its the best album Ive heard this year.
The Killers sound like tears for fears on strange drugs.  Good album almost too 80's retro.
Ill be picking up the Kasabian album, not sure how do describe this.  Sorta Left wing anthemic rock.....  Hmm bad description and Ive been really impressed by the futureheads (modern day Jam) and the two singles by do me bad things have impressed greatly.  Recently Ive been rather revitalised to music.  There is some interesting things in the UK indie scene and that makes me smile.

Slips

DavidXBrunt

The two albums I've played over and over again have been 'Gaze' by Beautiful South, which is a return to witty, catchy, warm songs that you can't help but sing along to, and 'Dear Castastrophe Waitress' by Belle and Sebastian which I bought because it was playing in H.M.V. and I was humming along with it before the first track was out.

A pair of deceptivley light albums that mix lyrics with real depth and meaning with proper tunes. Nice.

esoteric ed

I hear good things about Kasabien Slips.

The Dead 60's "Radio Riot" EP is worth a spin too.

Ed

IndigoPrime

I thought the new Cure album was awful. However, with the bands you mention, try Wire's newer stuff (Read and Burn 01 and 02, via www.posteverything.com), Githead (again via www.posteverything.com), and, if you like Radiohead's more interesting stuff, Sigur Ros (Agaetis Byrjun in particular).

Goosegash

"The Beatles
Radiohead
The Cure
The Flaming Lips"

If you're a fan of those groups, you might appreciate http://www.cardiacs.com/button.html">Cardiacs, England's finest purveyors of genre-defying musical mayhem for nigh on 25 years. They're also playing the London Astoria on November 12th(plug, plug).

Others:

Charlotte Hatherley's "Grey Will Fade" - the girl from Ash done good.

"Anniemal" by Annie - contains "Chewing Gum", the most frighteningly catchy pop-tune you've ever heard.

Tom Waits, "Real Gone" - Mad Uncle Tom makes a terrifying racket in his bathroom, and also his best LP in years.  

thinky

i've been really getting back into 'geneva' recently and would recommend 'further' as a top album

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Keef Monkey

Not too into much new stuff really, finding myself mainly listening to old stuff. Although I do listen to the Mew album a lot. It's called "Frengers" and it's absolutely beautiful, they're also one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Tweaker's "2am wakeup call" album is brilliant too, it's the old live drummer for NIN doing his solo thing and it's really nice. Judging by your tastes you should seriously check out Mew though.

janus stark

Smiley

you might appreciate Cardiacs

Heh, doubtful. I love 'em, but most people's reactions range from bewilderment to mild disgust. File under acquired taste.

I can vouch for Read & Burn, or failing that the concurrent Wire album Send, which is basically the same thing.

Ed: While I'm not exactly hip to today's younger popular beat combo's I did hear Lounger (a new single from some bunch called Dogs Die In Hot Cars) on t'radio the other day. Very XTC-a-like. Sounds like it might be your bag, daddio.

Tu-plang

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have heard Dogs Die in Hot Cars, they sound a lot like Robert Smith on uppers to me.  Also the Killers being too 80s retro is right, they sound like rock-synth-disco.

I didn't know Wire were still about!

So...

Interpol's "Antics"
The new Cure album
Zutons
Free the Bees (Have heard some of this, very 60s sound)
Franz Ferdinand (has anyone heard that they're in the new Harry Potter?)
Belle & Sebastian's Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Beautiful South
Futureheads

These are the ones that caught my eye.  Don't know what some of this is, will give it a gander.

Marbles

As a huge Clash fan myself, i must say the best thing in recent years are the White Stripes.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

esoteric ed

Thanks Smiley, I'm gonna get onto it :-)

Ed