Main Menu

History of Violence the movie...

Started by Leigh S, 12 May, 2005, 03:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

..as distinct from the graphic novel apparently..

Theres an interview in todays Times with Cronenburg, where he predictably distances his film from its source - ?the script was so far away from the novel, there was no point in even referring to it.?

It?s a bit of a downer, as I had high hopes for this one,and this interview is a bit of a dent in my confidence ? the standard ?well the source material is a rubbishy comic, so we ditched all that? approach to marketing your comic based movie.

Still, lets hope it makes John some cash, even if it does turn out to be another abomination.

paulvonscott

Shame. still, let's hope Mr Wagner makes enoiugh cash to wear a suit made out of ?50 notes.  And attend Dreddcon in it.

I wonder if there's several levels of stigma attached here.

1.  It's an adaptation.  Might seem as though the film isn't it's own beast.

2.  It's based on a comic, so must be puerile nonsense.

3.  The pictures and layout aren't too dissimilar to a story board, so there must be that need not to visually copy the book.  Or at least not be seen to be.  

Oddboy

That's a big shame.. I was really looking forward to this being a great film.  (Of course it might still be a great film anyway but...)

I really wonder why they don't just use the comic as a storyboard when they do comic adaptations... they've spent the money on the 'rights' - and then spend more money on all the pre-production work to get to the storyboard level...mental, paying for the same thing twice - especially as you can bet your shiney metal ass that the 'new' version of the storyboard won't match up to the comic.

Sure, things have to be changed in an adaption I guess, but really why for the sake of it?
They've even changed the main character's surname - to what purpose???
Better set your phaser to stun.

Will I. Cooling

I really couldn't give a shit as long as the movie gets DC to reprint it.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Leigh S

Well, the premiere was yesterday - sadly, no reports of Wagner headbutting Cronenburg...

The trailer doesnt give any indication of massive changes...

Link: http://www.festival-cannes.org/films/fiche_film.php?langue=6002&id_film=4277356" target="_blank">trailer

skurvy

Just read a very positive review of this on aintitcoolnews.com and the story sounds very similar to the source material, so maybe it'll all turn out nice again.

Tordelbach

Do you know, if they do come anyway close to accurately capturng the ending of the book, I don't think I'll be watching the film.  I couldn't sleep for hours after reading those final pages, and the crystal-clear images still make me shudder.  Which isn't to say I didn't think it was a brilliant piece of work.

LARF

Wils

Bloody hell. I got my copy from America for $2.99.

Bolt-01

I missed this too, a reprint would be very welcome.

Yesterday morning on Radio4 I heard the words: Wagner....... creator of Judge Dredd..... but I never managed to catch anymore.

Bolt-01