Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: Rately on 20 January, 2021, 10:20:46 AM
Psycho 2 - Haven't seen this since it was shown late, way back in my childhood, one night on the BBC. A very good sequel, with a brilliant premise and some absolutely lovely moments played by Anthony Perkins as he slowly begins to lose his grip on reality. Loved the fact that all is not what it seems, and it is all played very effectively, and with a lot of humour. And I'm a sucker for any movie with Robert Loggia.

I saw this before I did the original a very, very long time ago.  I remember liking it.  If I recall correctly it was quite the tragic film.

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 January, 2021, 11:15:49 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 20 January, 2021, 10:14:05 AM
... I don't think it's even close to the levels of something like Vampires Kiss.

Adding that one to the watch-list,  so!

That sounds like a great idea :D  It is a tour de force of Nicholas Cagery.

Rately

Quote from: pictsy on 20 January, 2021, 12:19:20 PM
Quote from: Rately on 20 January, 2021, 10:20:46 AM
Psycho 2 - Haven't seen this since it was shown late, way back in my childhood, one night on the BBC. A very good sequel, with a brilliant premise and some absolutely lovely moments played by Anthony Perkins as he slowly begins to lose his grip on reality. Loved the fact that all is not what it seems, and it is all played very effectively, and with a lot of humour. And I'm a sucker for any movie with Robert Loggia.

I saw this before I did the original a very, very long time ago.  I remember liking it.  If I recall correctly it was quite the tragic film.

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 January, 2021, 11:15:49 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 20 January, 2021, 10:14:05 AM
... I don't think it's even close to the levels of something like Vampires Kiss.

Adding that one to the watch-list,  so!

Tragic is the word. Great movie, which will have you screaming at the screen.

wedgeski

Quote from: Rately on 20 January, 2021, 10:20:46 AMTrue Lies - James Cameron does Bond, and does it a lot better than the majority of actual Bond Movies as he takes the super-spy and injects enough humour, and edge of your seat action that it makes the long running time fly by. Some lovely, comic moments from Bill Paxton and Jamie-lee Curtis, who steal the movie and even Tom Arnold is sufferable for the most part. That soundtrack is a bit bloody good as well.
We re-watched that over the weekend! It's one we go back to often, just an absurdly entertaining film with both Arnie and Bill Paxton on top form. Act 2 is weird and kind of problematic, but it also has all the best lines.

Rately

Quote from: wedgeski on 20 January, 2021, 01:53:21 PM
Quote from: Rately on 20 January, 2021, 10:20:46 AMTrue Lies - James Cameron does Bond, and does it a lot better than the majority of actual Bond Movies as he takes the super-spy and injects enough humour, and edge of your seat action that it makes the long running time fly by. Some lovely, comic moments from Bill Paxton and Jamie-lee Curtis, who steal the movie and even Tom Arnold is sufferable for the most part. That soundtrack is a bit bloody good as well.
We re-watched that over the weekend! It's one we go back to often, just an absurdly entertaining film with both Arnie and Bill Paxton on top form. Act 2 is weird and kind of problematic, but it also has all the best lines.

Bill Paxton is just brilliant in it. Unreal to think that Bill Paxton is no longer with us, because he brought so much charisma to every role he played.

That bit with the Horse on the rooftop always terrifies me, for some reason.

Recently watched Frailty, one of the few movies Bill Paxton directed, and it is an astonishing wee movie with a great Matthew McConaughey performance, and a lovely script that keeps you on your toes.

pictsy

The Hunt for Red October

I enjoyed this as much as I did Crimson Tide.  This one didn't have a weak ending that kinda undermines the point of the film like CT does, but it doesn't hit the same tension level as CT, so I think it balances out.  Surprisingly I am still not sure whether I have seen this film before or not.  I think it has a generic quality were nothing seems unfamiliar but also nothing stood out as being familiar.  It makes sense as the film is light propaganda.  It's made well, nevertheless.  Good pacing, good acting, coherent narrative, throw in some light sci-fi elements and we've got a pretty decent film here.  I can't really complain about much.  It's politics is Cold War politics, it's Tom Clancy, we're not getting any treatise on the nature of War here.  It has an edge of realism mixed with a healthy amount of the ridiculous.  It does what it does well, but it has very little to say and is shallow (ha!  because submarines!) and that's about as critical as I think I can get.

Other things I liked were the cast.  Alec Baldwin can be hit and miss for me, but he's alright here.  Connery, Neill and Glenn are all as good as you'd expect.  [spoiler]I liked Neill's stuff about moving to Montana.  That was pretty weird.[/spoiler]  I actually liked the performances of Tim Curry and Courtney B. Vance the most.  They don't have big roles, but I was always happy to see them on screen.

Overall I'm glad I watched it.  Maybe this time I'll remember that I've seen it (assuming I have before).

Rara Avis

Some epic Nicholas Cagery to be had in Mandy. Quite simply epic:

https://youtu.be/rI054ow6KJk

pictsy

Quote from: Rara Avis on 22 January, 2021, 05:55:25 PM

Some epic Nicholas Cagery to be had in Mandy. Quite simply epic:

https://youtu.be/rI054ow6KJk

This might be considered a spoiler considering how much of the film you have to sit through before Nicholas starts Caging. 

If you want full on Cagery go for the second Ghost Rider film.  It's utter shite, but it's 100% Cage start to end.

von Boom

Quote from: pictsy on 22 January, 2021, 10:49:50 AM
The Hunt for Red October

I enjoyed this as much as I did Crimson Tide.  This one didn't have a weak ending that kinda undermines the point of the film like CT does, but it doesn't hit the same tension level as CT, so I think it balances out.  Surprisingly I am still not sure whether I have seen this film before or not.  I think it has a generic quality were nothing seems unfamiliar but also nothing stood out as being familiar.  It makes sense as the film is light propaganda.  It's made well, nevertheless.  Good pacing, good acting, coherent narrative, throw in some light sci-fi elements and we've got a pretty decent film here.  I can't really complain about much.  It's politics is Cold War politics, it's Tom Clancy, we're not getting any treatise on the nature of War here.  It has an edge of realism mixed with a healthy amount of the ridiculous.  It does what it does well, but it has very little to say and is shallow (ha!  because submarines!) and that's about as critical as I think I can get.

Other things I liked were the cast.  Alec Baldwin can be hit and miss for me, but he's alright here.  Connery, Neill and Glenn are all as good as you'd expect.  [spoiler]I liked Neill's stuff about moving to Montana.  That was pretty weird.[/spoiler]  I actually liked the performances of Tim Curry and Courtney B. Vance the most.  They don't have big roles, but I was always happy to see them on screen.

Overall I'm glad I watched it.  Maybe this time I'll remember that I've seen it (assuming I have before).
I plan to watch this tomorrow. It never disapoints.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

Quote from: pictsy on 22 January, 2021, 08:53:54 PM
This might be considered a spoiler considering how much of the film you have to sit through before Nicholas starts Caging. 

If you want full on Cagery go for the second Ghost Rider film.  It's utter shite, but it's 100% Cage start to end.

My personal favouite has to be the Wickerman remake. It's just so bad but also so good.

pictsy

Quote from: Rara Avis on 23 January, 2021, 08:22:06 AM
My personal favouite has to be the Wickerman remake. It's just so bad but also so good.

I've only heard of the level of Cage in that film.  I never watched it.  I didn't enjoy the original, so had no interest in a sequel.

Hawkmumbler

HOW DID YA BURN? HOWD YA BURN HOWD YA BURN?!

pictsy

Down Periscope

Rounding off the submarine marathon with this somewhat entertaining odd-ball under-dog comedy staring Kelsey Grammer.  There's some patronising chauvinism in the film, the jokes aren't that good, the characters aren't that interesting and yet I still enjoy this film.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for an odd-ball under-dog comedy.

Mardroid

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 13 January, 2021, 11:40:36 AM
Interesting! I think Jason X starts off great, and has some cool ideas (like the holodeck bit) but the middle of it is just... eh. In fairness I've not seen it for almost 20 years but I remember being super let down by it.

I also like the Friday films a lot more than the Halloween or Elm Street series - Freddy just gets up my nose, he's too over the top. Have you seen Behind the Mask?

Jason X was quite entertaining. I got a kick out of the fact the two actresses from Andromeda played main characters, with  human/robot roles  that appeared to be swapped from their Andromeda series. I.e. Lexa Doig played an Android character (and computer) in Andromeda  while Lisa Ryder played a human character. In  Jason X Doig is the human and Ryder an android.

Colin YNWA

The Terminator

I so often drop off the 'The'. This one is fun as ever but its not quite in the 'Endlessly Rewatchable' league. For not its the weaker of its comtempories (which aren't really contempories but fall into the category of films I felt were essential as a kid) so Alien, Predator and Highlander I guess (may be others I'm forgetting). Shows its limited budget and ambition and is very much a good B Movie as opposed to a great movie. Still utterly enjoyable.