Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 November, 2021, 10:23:34 AM
Only 6 episodes!

A second cloaked asteroid just struck my heart.

Hopefully this will be reflected in the quality on show. Being the final season no need for much character building just getting on with the story arc.
I don't mind short seasons as long as it's quality.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

IndigoPrime

Interesting response on Twitter from James Corey:

QuoteThe question I have for the people worried that #TheExpanse season 6 is "only" 6 episodes is this: Would you rather have six very expensive very high energy non-stop awesome episodes of the show, or zero?

I like the six we got.
Fair enough. Just as long as it doesn't upend the nature of the show, like Game of Thrones.

IndigoPrime

Well, that first episode did the business. I can't believe there are only five more, but I can't wait for the next one. Hey, Chibnall: THIS is how you do it.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

it's all about character, most of all. and then you care. simple.

Tjm86

I know what you mean but let's be honest, it is a little more nuanced than that.  Time and effort has clearly gone into the world building of the Expanse.  In many respects it connects disturbingly closely to our present society which is what good SF does. 

There is balance of action, intrigue and drama that, yes, is both driven and underpinned by believable characterisation.  It also manages to avoid the pitfalls of too many SF series of believing its own hype and crawling up its own posterior or just becoming downright silly (Star Trek, Dr Who ...  I'm looking at you ...).

IndigoPrime

It's interesting also to see scientists talking about the show and being broadly in favour of the concepts used. That shows an element of research and an attempt to make the show feel real rather than just hand-waving everything away.

Trooper McFad

I've been watching this and enjoying it. However it has now slightly spoiled my viewing of other space(flight) based shows. I now expect more from the others out there regarding how they actually travel & live in space.
I feel I need a bit of "realism" in my fantasy based viewing 😂😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Link Prime

Very solid start to the season.

Character commentary:
- I miss Alex.
- Both Filip and Peaches are utterly irredeemable.
- I hope they bring Bull back as pilot of the Rocinante, cause A) Yer man was a great actor & B) I wouldn't trust Holden to pilot a furrowed brow while staring intently at a screen.

broodblik

A very good opening episode. I will miss this series when it is all done and dusted.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Not started watching this yet - and having just bought the kids a Disney Plus and Netflix sub for Xmas I'm not sure when I will - so coming into this thread with great caution and don't know if this has been mentioned. Just in case though I saw this when pottering around the internet this morning

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/24/22851119/the-expanse-season-6-final-amazon-x-ray

apparently some bonus scenes are available on tablet and photo - though not TV - though I'm sure I get X-Ray on my telly we'll see... anyway just wanted to make sure folks knew about this and apologise if its old news.

Link Prime

Last couple of episodes have been great, particularity the Christmas Eve Pella v Rocinante segment.

Two episodes left to tie it all up, and weave in the Laconia sub-plot?
Strewth.

wedgeski

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 January, 2022, 10:33:38 AM
Last couple of episodes have been great, particularity the Christmas Eve Pella v Rocinante segment.

Two episodes left to tie it all up, and weave in the Laconia sub-plot?
Strewth.
Exactly my worry. Good as this series is, it still feels like a casual 12-episode stroll, not the 6-episode sprint I assumed it would be. Perhaps the final episode will be double-length.

IndigoPrime

The last one is supposed to be longer, at around 75 minutes. So we're getting six and a half episodes, I guess.

moly

Really enjoyed the series finale but what was with the dog like aliens

broodblik

For me the last season ends in a satisfactory way the main storyline at least has been completed with some nice possibilities kept open for a spin-off (or two)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.