Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Just wrapping up Link's Awakening, a little disappointed with it tbh.  Found it quite obtuse and frustrating at times. Definitely one of the weaker Zelda games imo.

Greg M.

Quote from: radiator on 15 October, 2019, 06:08:48 PM
Just wrapping up Link's Awakening, a little disappointed with it tbh.  Found it quite obtuse and frustrating at times. Definitely one of the weaker Zelda games imo.

Just about to start with this one. The original is one of my favourite games in the Zelda series (second in my affections only to Link to the Past, for me the unassailable king of all Zelda games) so I'll be interested to see how this version compares.

radiator

I've played almost every Zelda game, and I found it kind of an ordeal. Weirdly, the combat is a breeze - I never lacked for health, never struggled with any enemy, and died maybe twice in the entire game - my problems were almost solely down to navigation and orientation.

For me its still very much a game of its time, in that I found a lot of the 'puzzles' quite obtuse, and I spent an inordinate amount of time just wandering the map trying to figure out where I needed to go next, and though I appreciated the compactness of the world map, I often found it felt very constrictive and mazelike to navigate. And the Eagle Tower dungeon was just painful - I must have spent the same amount of time in that single dungeon than I did the entire rest of the game, and had to resort to a step by step walkthrough to finally finish it. I knew what I had to do and where I had to get to, but for whatever reason found it completely impossible to commit the layout of the dungeon to memory, so simply getting from A to B was a frustrating nightmare, and I almost gave up on the game entirely.

Was surprised they didn't smooth off some of the rougher, more dated aspects of the game to compliment the updated visuals.

radiator

Just started on Luigi's Mansion 3.

I'm not super familiar with the series - I owned Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS but didn't get very far into it as though I enjoyed the core gameplay I really didn't get on with the episodic, piecemeal nature of the game.

This new one is just delightful though. Gameplay seems very unchallenging and gentle so far, but it's the closest I've felt to playing an interactive Pixar type animated movie. it's more exploration based which suits my preferences much more that the mission based structure of the previous game, and it has so many little charming touches.

Zenith 666

Have had to buy a second switch after leaving the old one charging on the window sill were it got rained on and fried 😬.still all ready for Kentucky route zero on the 28th now.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 08 January, 2020, 10:23:40 AM
Have had to buy a second switch after leaving the old one charging on the window sill were it got rained on and fried 😬.still all ready for Kentucky route zero on the 28th now.

If you are looking to sell your old dock, I'd consider buying it. Ours is a bit tempramental.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Zenith 666

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 January, 2020, 10:02:16 PM
Quote from: Zenith 666 on 08 January, 2020, 10:23:40 AM

If you are looking to sell your old dock, I'd consider buying it. Ours is a bit tempramental.

I'm afraid the missus god daughter has snatched it for her bedroom otherwise you could have just had it.Nintendo taking the pxxs pricing spare docks so high.There are third party docks going for £25.not sure how reliable though.

Tiplodocus

Thanks. It can't be any more unreliable than this one. Though I had heard tale of Nintendo bricking Switchez using certain third party connectors. But that may have been clickbait nonsense.

Apestrife

Devil may cry 1 on sale on e shop. Any good? Looks cool.

Tiplodocus

Managed to pick up a second hand official dock for thirty quid and it works just fine.

Darren Stephens

Picked up 'Transistor' yesterday. Fantastic game, with great combat mechanics and wonderful Bladerunner-esque graphics. Also played the Demo of Dragon Quest 11 today, which I enjoyed immensely. I think I'll pick up either that or Octopath Traveller this week, as I've nearly complete Diablo 3 and I'll be needing an RPG fix.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Tiplodocus

SUBSURFACE CIRCULAR  a puzzle game where you are a robotic detective in a train carriage. As recommended by HDE.

And FITNESS BOXING which is good rhythm based fun and may be good for me.

repoman

I ended up lashing my Switch on eBay a few months ago.

I didn't really enjoy the 'big' games.  Mario Kart was ruined by having everything unlocked at the start (and the last gen Sonic racing games were better).  Odyssey was okay but was too easy and felt like a kid's game which I guess it was.  Didn't fancy Zelda at all.

Also, I hated the Joycons but didn't want to use a separate pad because the main thing about the Switch is the 'switchness' of it.  It's like when they made the 2DS and that got rid of the 3D which was the most novel thing about the 3DS.

I liked some of the indie stuff and smaller digital games though.  That's where the value was for me.

In the end it was all about Into the Breach (which is amazing), Donkey Kong arcade and Chime Sharp (great but they messed up the controls when porting it from PS4 and they never fixed it). 

radiator

QuoteOdyssey was okay but was too easy

As with most modern Mario games, the first 80% of the game is fairly easy, to the point of being sedentary, but completing the last 20% gets absolutely brutal. I defy anyone to 100% the game and call the experience anything approaching easy. Same goes for New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Super Mario 3D Land etc etc. My only complaint about them is that I wish the challenge level would ramp up a bit quicker as early on it can be a little humdrum. I think it's a bit reductive to dismiss Nintendo games as 'kids' games - they are all-ages, in the same way Pixar's best movies are, which is not the same thing.

I don't care much for the recent Mario Kart either. It's 'fine' as far as I'm concerned. Call me weird, but I liked the series much more when it was just Mario and a few of his pals larking about in actual go karts racing on simple go kart tracks that were based on Super Mario levels. I find the modern iteration, with its overabundance of characters and tracks from disparate unconnected series, overdesigned tracks that loop upside down, underwater and through the air, various vehicle types (and configurations thereof) a bit exhausting and overwhelming. Its the same with other kinds of driving games - I much preferred them back in the PS1 era where you'd only get a handful of tracks and cars to choose from. Less is sometimes more.

I also ended up selling Smash Bros, having come to the conclusion that it's just not my cup of tea. It's one of the only big Nintendo series that I just cannot fathom the appeal of (the other being Animal Crossing).

Darren Stephens

......speaking of Animal crossing....is anyone else picking it up? We are quite excited in our house. Either way, how about a friend code swap? Mines : SW-4472-3043-1733 :)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^