Main Menu

Megazine 433: Day of Dark Judgement!

Started by Leigh S, 15 June, 2021, 09:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

A mixed bag this month...

Dredd.... oh dear... This is I'm sorry to say, Millar level stuff as far as we are portraying Dredd (and possibly wth the Sino-Cit stuff too).  Dredd beating up citizens for his own amusement!?!  I dont thnk even Millar went that far!

Devlin is a great read by contrast - how to take someone elses strong vision and do a story that fits that vision.

Diamond Dogs and Deliverance I am not really keeping up with - not grabbing me, but the Returners remains interesting and nicely illustrated.

Articles were engaging  - I'm keeping my eye on that Johnson fellow as a potential star of the future (keeping my eye on the otehr Johnson fellow as well, but for different reasons!)

Mechastopheles was a handy reprint as it means I can go back and read the new story having refreshed myself of the previous this morning.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Freddychopper

And the full wraparound stunning Percival cover image. Loved the final episode!

repoman

I've had mixed feelings about Deliverance but I read the whole thing today and it definitely benefits from that rather than reading it every month for nine months.

At first I thought it was pretty average and it certainly isn't up there with The Torture Garden.  I think it just didn't have enough Death in it and Rosco wasn't nearly as interesting this time around.  Last time we saw the horror through her and Pousay's eyes but this time it wasn't nearly as shocking.  I didn't much buy into the death cult story either.

Whisper was pretty interesting though and the ending was good.  I enjoyed it today.

[spoiler]Weirdly spoilerific cover.[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Good Meg.

Dredd I agree with Leigh S about the way Dredd is portrayed as beating on the scientists to remind them they are criminals. That just seemed weird so don't know if that will play into things later. A considerable shame cos otherwise this was an excellent start. Vigourating, thrilling and brilliantly drawn.

Devlin Waugh was superb. Devlin's sentencing of Titty was superb and then WHAM that ending. Fantastic stuff and Mike Dowling's art is finding new ways to excel.

Diamond Dogs found ways to pull me in this time and I really enjoyed this episode - even if the Ron and Ron appearance was a bit weird!

The Returners was trippy fun - simple as that really and glorious art

Deliverance (all the d's this month) well that nailed the landing just fine didn't it. Fantastic conclusion and as much as I love this series I think that will be an excellent place to leave thing and the Dark Judges for good. Another winner and a fantastic ending to a great series.

Text pieces function and floppy, well we've read that recently so that one passed me buy. But the main event where by and large superb so happy with that one.

Leigh S

If the beating up scientists ends up being more relevant and explainable, then its a funny way to include it - Wagner has pulled that kind of trick a few times, but he would show you the beating, and it ould be clear it was out of character, and then the rug pull a few pages/episodes down the line.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 16 June, 2021, 10:03:20 PM
If the beating up scientists ends up being more relevant and explainable, then its a funny way to include it - Wagner has pulled that kind of trick a few times, but he would show you the beating, and it ould be clear it was out of character, and then the rug pull a few pages/episodes down the line.

Yeah I tend to agree but hope springs eternal.

Funt Solo

The Dictators of Zrag strike again with a Double Grex assault on the proof-reading team*:

*A twenty-strong team of dedicated linguistics droids working tirelessly day and night to bring you the Galaxy's Greatest Spin-Off Tent-Pole Publication.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

For some reason I find myself also referencing the current progs as 2300's rather than 2200's

Goosegash

Is it just me that finds Ales Kot's dialogue reads oddly on the page, a bit iike it's been retranslated from another language and some of the flow/sentence structure is lost?

Try as I might, I can't hear Devlin's voice (which I always hear as somewhere between Terry-Thomas and Tim Curry) saying "Because I needed a lot of cum to charge the spell!"

broodblik

This was for me a very in the middle off everything meg. It just feels like the meg has lost some off its punch the last few months.

Dredd – So far it is just a start of a new arc but let us give it time to develop. One thing I find out of place is where Dredd is fighting the squid like creature, and it felt almost like a take-out of the Marvel comics where "bigger is always better". Final point is that I do like Staz art.

Devlin – Well what an ending with a lot of talking and built-up. All these talking heads would have made Abnett quite proud. Like the last page and so action is begging for the next installment.

Diamond Dogs – This has been the best single episode of DD so far. Some interesting events are transpiring now. I just find Pleece art a little bit spartan.

Returners – Well it is difficult to point where this is going but it might be that the story is just losing me. This might have to be re-read as a total package.

Deliverance – Great stuff with a fitting ending to the series. Special mention must go to Nick's wonderful art throughout the series and hopefully he can do more Dredd in the future.

Proudhuff

Dredd I agree with Leigh S, So much of this story is so un-Dredd, feels like a IDW style writing.

Devlin was superb. Who would have thought a demonic dildo would would elicit empathy? and that final punch page, excellent. Still have to check where and when I'm reading this as a double page of talking (knob) heads could frighten the servants and horses.

Diamond Dogs  yes, the Ron and Ron appearance was a bit weird! reading this but not really getting hooked.

The Returners was trippy but again not really getting hooked.

Deliverance fingerscrossed that's the last we see of the Gang of Four... well outstayed their welcome.

The floppy was well timed, enjoyed reading the whole thing in a oner, which I didn't in the prog.
DDT did a job on me

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Meg 433

Not the strongest Meg for me with no clear winner but my top 3 thrills are:

1st - Dredd - First thrill touching on Sino-Cit for me 
2nd - Deliverance - good ending to keep those 4 busy for a while
3rd - Devlin Waugh - good use of different panel types, too wordy though