Main Menu

List of series in 2000ad and Megazine

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 October, 2021, 06:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Was Metalzoic a reprint? I thought it was published at the same time as the US version, or did I imagine that?

Colin YNWA

Cos I'm lazy I've used Wikipedia as my source, but to be fair this is also my understanding of things

QuoteMetalzoic is a graphic novel (ISBN 0-930289-10-2) written by Pat Mills and drawn by Kevin O'Neill which was first published by DC Comics in 1986 as the sixth of the DC Graphic Novel line. Later in the same year it was reprinted in serial form in 2000 AD, issues 483-492.

GordonR

Quote from: Richard on 12 October, 2021, 01:40:24 PM
Was Metalzoic a reprint? I thought it was published at the same time as the US version, or did I imagine that?

DC still own it, and apparently have no interest in re-releasing it or selling the rights on.

Which is a pity, since it's a great piece of work.

sheridan

Quote from: GordonR on 12 October, 2021, 02:17:00 PM
Quote from: Richard on 12 October, 2021, 01:40:24 PM

DC still own it, and apparently have no interest in re-releasing it or selling the rights on.

Which is a pity, since it's a great piece of work.

And both Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill would like to see it reprinted.  Personally if I was in charge of DC, the deluxe reprint would contain both the colour and black and white versions.  Doesn't seem that difficult to get the original printings at the moment (if ebay search is to be believed).  Though all the copies seem to be in the USA at the moment, so even if they're offering free postage, HMRC may have different ideas.  Still, the corresponding progs are around the £1 mark each.

Colin YNWA

On a side note I missed Tank Girl off my list of included thrills.

Okay so next question before we get into the fiddly details of does this series count as that series really or stand on its own.

Subsidiary* Dredd. So there are a number of 'other' Dredd strips that reside outside the main series Judge Dredd and these I reflect on as follows - as a starting point. As ever I'm weak and will be easily swayed... Just to note 'Judge Dredd' the series will NOT appear in the tourney on the same basis that he's been excluded from others as it removes any questions of who will win!

Cadet Dredd - clearly a different series and will be included in the same way Cadet Anderson, Young Middenface, Young Death, will all stand on their own.

Dredd (Movie) - as opposed to Judge Dredd, strips based on the 2012 movie I think are significently different to be included on their own and won't dominate the way Judge Dredd might.

The Dead Man - This is were this will get really controversial I think. I'm going with not including on the basis that its narrative is basically a continuation of the main strips story and the name change was included to sustain a surprise / twist. This will give you a clear indication of how I'm leaning with other such stories...

America - EVEN MORE CONTROVERSIAL. I'm going NO. I accept its not officially a Judge Dredd story. I acknowledge its not built into the narrative of the ongoing series. HOWEVER its is generally considered the greatest Dredd strip by many. Was included in the Tourney about Judge Dredd epics and in fact did very well. I guess the big question here is whether its fair to lump this in with Judge Dredd (series) based on my own perspections which frankly do go against reality!

*I use subsidiary advisedly as it has no sense of quality, rather importance and as such all strips are subsidiary to Judge Dredd surely...

AlexF

Thumbs up on all counts, from me! America and The Dead Man are the two best Dredd stories,
(https://dreddepicsranked.blogspot.com/2020/12/epics-3-1-bitter-end.html)
although not, perhaps, the two best stories ever to appear in the 2000AD-azine. Perhaps.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 October, 2021, 09:48:54 AM
America - I accept its not officially a Judge Dredd story.

I saw someone else say that recently as well. I don't get it - right there on the first page of the strip it's got the "Judge Dredd' banner, with him standing on the US flag and the narrative box says "Where do I stand? I'll tell you where I stand." Then, on the next page, it has the America subtitle.

---

But Dead Eyes should count as standalone, right?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 October, 2021, 03:07:55 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 October, 2021, 09:48:54 AM
America - I accept its not officially a Judge Dredd story.

I saw someone else say that recently as well. I don't get it - right there on the first page of the strip it's got the "Judge Dredd' banner, with him standing on the US flag and the narrative box says "Where do I stand? I'll tell you where I stand." Then, on the next page, it has the America subtitle.

Hey its not me ya have to ask - who am I to doubt the might of the wonderful Barney

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=AMERICA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 October, 2021, 03:07:55 PM
But Dead Eyes should count as standalone, right?

errrr.... wellllll.... errrr .... maybe you don't ....ermmmm... want to ... ya know... look at this thread for a couple of days... I mean nothing is likely to happen... or like... anything... ya know...

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Okay last few questions - then I'll have a list and I can start prep in earnst. So I fear the next calls I make will not be popular but here we go. I'm looking at series that kinda cross over into other series, or more to the point carry on the narrative of other series under a different title. So here are my calls there:

Malone + Downlode Tales: Won't run on their own and should be considered as part of Sinister Dexter. I do this they carry on the central narrative of the main series Sinister Dexter. In the case of Malone (which I love) this is done primarily to empower a fantastic twist.

The Vort: Same as above - and specifically Malone, but for Lobster Random and so on that basis will be counted in Lobster Random.

Dead Eyes - Now this one is trickier but I'm not counting. Again it disguises itself at least in part to hide its connection and allow for a twist. It really starts the new Indigo Prime and I think if I include this as seperate I should go Indigo Prime - Classic; Dead Eyes; Indigo Prime - Modern and that's creating articifial divides that I'm not happy with doing - I'm  not with Strontium Dog for example as there is a narrative thread through it all.

The Scarlet Apocrypha - Now I would have lumped this in with Durham Red BUT there seems to be almost universal acceptance that this is seperate and well I've not read the stories in the Meg so I'm going with this being seperate unless I hear otherwise.

Megatropolis - On the official site this gets lumped in with a series I've not read in the Megs called Mega City Noir BUT that seems to be the Simping Detective stuff. On that basis I don't see a real connection and Megatropolis carries on it own easy. I suppose my question should be does Mega-City Noir get wrapped into Simping Detective?

Torquemada the God - Now I've always considered this a spin of mini-series rather than part of Nemesis, in the same way Deadlock is. Same, world, closely related but seperate. So I was going to run it seperate BUT I'm not convinced anyone thinks that other than me! So I'll wrap it into Nemesis unless folks stand up for it to be seperated.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 October, 2021, 08:14:33 AM
Torquemada the God - Now I've always considered this a spin of mini-series rather than part of Nemesis, in the same way Deadlock is. Same, world, closely related but seperate. So I was going to run it seperate BUT I'm not convinced anyone thinks that other than me! So I'll wrap it into Nemesis unless folks stand up for it to be seperated.

Torque the God is definitely a defacto book of Nemesis - continuity-wise there's no other join between Torquemurder to The Two Torques.  I always consider that Deadlock story to be Nem book XI as well, showing what happened in Termight after Nem and Torque left.  Though I suppose that Wizards and Warlocks story would also have to be included by the same token, but that's alright as it's not like anybody's going to vote that as their fave book of Nem!*

* I remember being hugely disappointed by it at the time - not only because it was a significant drop in quality for my favourite 2000AD series, but also because I'd liked Crithlow's artwork since Thrud in White Dwarf.  I don't think I've seen any painted artwork from Carl I especially like, but I like the 21st century linework, as seen in the Thrud mini-series and that IDW 2000AD series.

Dark Jimbo

Mega-City Noir was an abortive anthology series set in Mega-City One, proposed by Si Spurrier. The first episode was Jack Point's first adventure; he immediately became more interesting to Spurrier, and continued on into his own series (The Simping Detective) . Mega-City Noir eventually managed a single further (forgettable) outing, then was quietly axed. Megatropolis has nothing to do with it at all, especially being an 'Elseworlds' series.

So you've got three distinct, separate series there - whether you should even bother with Mega-City Noir is up to you!
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Thanks Dark Jimbo, by my estimation then Mega City Noir is a one off aside from The Simping Detective story, which is wrapped into Simping D and so its out

AND

Therefore based on the decisions folks have helped me with here that 341 series from Prog and Meg. SO format will be

Round 1 will have 85 randomly selected ties (I've actually quickly whipped through the list and give 89 thrills a by in the Round 1 draw based in them being 'Premiere League / Championship' Thrills - I'll not bother to debate this as we'd never get to a concenus - just like in the FA cup they will join in Round 2.

So 85 ties = 170 thrills and 83 getting a bye. That will leave Round 2 with 256 thrills and its straight draw, straight knock out from there... phew... know to the easy part and doing the draw and starting to prep the threads opening posts...

Colin YNWA

Christ that was exhausting* I've done the draw for Round 1 (no spoilers) and found 3 or 4 mistakes while sorting things and doing the draw SO in the end.

Round 1 is 85 ties
Straight into the 2nd Round = 90 thrills
Byes due to the draw = 81

Which will put 256 thrills into 2nd Round...

*Well yes that is meladrama!

Colin YNWA

OH BLOODY HELL!!!!

Okay so when doing a final check I remember two stories that weren't present - off the top of my head which is a worry! Anyway added them and that changes the figures as follows:

Round 1 is 87 ties
Straight into the 2nd Round = 90 thrills
Byes due to the draw = 79

Which will put 256 thrills into 2nd Round...

Anymore and I'm just going to say they got arrested at the airport and aren't allowed to compete!