Main Menu

FFT - Tales from the Black Museum vs Realm of the Damned - Round 1 Heat 29

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 November, 2021, 06:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just as you all start to get a little sick of voting on some sub-par thrills I'd dare to say week 4 of this Tourney actually has the strongest line-up so far. There's some real corkers to wrap your head around and some tough decisions to make.

One series a mixed bag of one-offs, the other with a very singular and bloody focus

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Tales from the Black Museum - more info

Vs.

Realm of the Damned - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 20th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Haven't read Realm of the Damned but putting a spin on the Future Shocks format to focus on Dredd's world works really well, so Tales from the Black Museum.

Barrington Boots

Given it's format, TotBM can be a bit hit and miss and although Realm of the Damned didn't initially hit it off with me - it's use of swearing seemed puerile rather than edgy, and I wasn't keen on some of it's adaptations of BM tropes - but it really grew on me. Some genuinely interesting ideas, nihilistic and nasty with some stunning artwork and great character designs by Pye Parr. It's a shame the second volume never made it to the Meg. It gets my vote!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

AlexF

Black Museum I think is the most consistnetly fun of all the one-off series types, but it's still a collection of random stories and that's going to have to work hard to beat a full series - especially one as outrageous as Realm of the Damned. Is no one else moved by the very premise of 'what if the stories in Black/Death Metal records were all true?'?

rogue69

Timothy

I loved the art on Realm of the Damned, but metal, particularly death metal, leaves me cold and so the story fell a bit flat for me. For that reason - and for the variety on display within the format - I'm backing Tales from the Black Museum.

Funt Solo

Realm of the Damned isn't perfect, but it was a good read - and something I wanted to read. Despite some good stories in Black Museum, I'm often disappointed to see it because it feels a bit like a chore. (I'm like that with most of the anthology formats, so they'll have to be up against some real stinkers to get my votes.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie is rather partial to a good anthology strip.*

So Tales from the Black Museum it is.

*Except for Dragon Tales. The operative word is good here.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

I, Cosh

Tales of the Black Museum is hobbled by its format before it's even got out the door. As I never tire of bringing up every time Vector 13 gets a look-in, framing comics with a narrator as character is annoying because it distances you from the story being told. The equivalent of all those wordy captions from history. Even the best stories, this month's must be up there, suffer for this.

Realm of the Damned really didn't appeal to me and it's quite interesting to compare with some of the Regened material. Turns out I prefer something that's aimed at actual children to something that's targeted squarely at teenage boys. On the other hand, Pye's art is really, really nice and Worley always makes an effort to create a world for his stories.

Realm of the Damned.
We never really die.

paddykafka