Main Menu

Prog 2105

Started by IndigoPrime, 27 October, 2018, 02:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Quote from: Proudhuff on 30 October, 2018, 04:27:33 PM
okay, all of you who were whinging about [spoiler]Dirty Frank[/spoiler] please stand up and explain yourself to the rest of the Class?

[spoiler]Well, i would ask why Dirty Frank is carrying out assassinations without one of them fangled invisibility suits? I take it a PSI Judge has also never attempted looking in his head? And why would Smiley even bother using Frank when he has invisible ninja Judges at his disposal? [/spoiler]

Magnetica

Yes that is [spoiler]an interesting point. Also, if Dirty Frank is really working for Smiley, how long has that been going on? What are the implications for what happened in Trifecta? On a related note, when did Smiley start running the stealth Judges - weren't they working for Bachmann in Trifecta? I need to re-read the lead up stories, but at the his point the only reason I knew they were under Smiley's control is because that is what it says in the Nerve Centre.[/spoiler]

Frank

... please write a thousand words on 'Synergy in the Prog' for next week?

I'm not prepared to halve my usual word count.

broodblik

Great prog again.

Juts as Fiends is on a role it stops but it will be back at at least.

The rest of the stories and especially Dredd with a twist on the last panel is running on all cylinders.

Brink is the way to do strip without any action but intriguing to its core.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 30 October, 2018, 06:24:48 PM
okay, all of you who were whinging about [spoiler]Dirty Frank[/spoiler] please stand up and explain yourself to the rest of the Class?

[spoiler]Well, i would ask why Dirty Frank is carrying out assassinations without one of them fangled invisibility suits? I take it a PSI Judge has also never attempted looking in his head? And why would Smiley even bother using Frank when he has invisible ninja Judges at his disposal? [/spoiler]

(Just to note, again, that this thread appears under the 'Spoilers' header, so spoiler tags aren't required.)

Personally, in a story that is very specifically setting out its stall as a twisty-turny kind of affair, I wouldn't assume that anything should be taken at face value. We see security cam footage of Dredd with Kazan Jr, and Frank with Kazan Jr, but who has literally just shown us that they can mess with surveillance video feeds...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Legion Dredd: Like Ichabod Azrael's horse, Sam's another Williams creation who's aware he's a character in a story. Unlike Ichabod's horse, he misunderstands his narrative function.

It'd be interesting if Smiley - a plot device made flesh - was acting upon the same self-awareness, but Im not sure Williams would let his proto-epic spin-off into self-reflexive whimsy.

Legion Brink: The vocabulary of Tharg's Nerve Centre list of exploding, hacking, climaxing Thrills highlights the incongruity of Brink: 'the unease levels are cranked even higher'. Brink's superbly written and drawn, but it must be hard to hype.

Legion Tracer: Is beginning to remind me of the eight weeks Sinister Dexter spent playing a VR flight simulator.

This might as well be a different strip to the one that finished a few weeks ago: nobody's skipped town and Norman isn't trying to trace them. Observation rather than criticism.

Legion Fiends: Turned out to be a prologue. 'Once more we play our dangerous game. We are not so different, you and I. For a thousand years, I have pursued you through human history: tonight, it ends!'  Future books lay spread out before us, like a patient etherized upon a table.

Legion Kingdom: Now he's come to the realisation that all the mainstream parties are only out for themselves, and are trying to shaft him and his people, I worry Gene - an angry, overweight bald bloke who looks like a Staffie and loves a scrap - is going to go all #FreeTommy

Legion 90: Was a comic I saw advertised in Sandman and Hellblazer. It's where Lobo came from, I think. Never bothered.

Proudhuff

Full marks... almost. Marks deducted for trying to be too topical, when a 2000Ad reference would have been more geekish.

Quote from: Frank on 31 October, 2018, 02:22:51 PM
Legion Kingdom: Now he's come to the realisation that all the mainstream parties are only out for themselves, and are trying to shaft him and his people, I worry Gene - an angry, overweight bald bloke who looks like a Staffie and loves a scrap - is going to go all Big Dave

DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 October, 2018, 03:18:17 PM
Quote from: Frank on 31 October, 2018, 02:22:51 PM
#FreeTommy

Big Dave

Despite superficial resemblances, the two square-headed gentlemen have very different opinions of the British armed forces. And, unlike Luton's top Nelson Bunker Kreelman impersonator, even Big Dave hated Nazis.

norton canes

Just before I say how brilliant the prog is once again, I got one tiny complaint.

What's with all this 'Grud' nonsense? 

I know that 'drokk' stands in for 'f**k', and it some point in my 18-year prog hiatus 'stomm' became a synonym for 's**t', and I understand that such profanities remain off-limits, but... surely we're at the point now when we can simply use the word 'God', if that's what's meant? It gets used in plenty of other stories, doesn't it? Or is the implication that there are no longer any monotheistic religion beliefs in Mega City 1?

I can also see that it taps into the humorous lexicography of Dredd's world but, I just think, in a weight speech such as that delivered by Sam this week, it's better to use the word 'God'.

Oh yeah, almost forgot - the prog is brilliant once again.

norton canes

Although, I had a nasty Slaine flashback when that spiky all-caps speech bubble appeared in Skip Tracer (shudders)

CalHab

I no longer notice it, but I wonder if the "Grud" thing acts as an impediment to new readers?

Steve Green

It's all part of the mega-city language.

Why have pedways, zooms, dunks taps and pongos, instead of sidewalks, trains, pickpockets, muggers and confidence tricksters?

Because it's fun, same goes for Jovis, Mavis etc.

and God or Grud comes in all kinds of pronunciations in the real world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

Pyroxian

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 November, 2018, 11:09:05 AM
It's all part of the mega-city language.

Why have pedways, zooms, dunks taps and pongos, instead of sidewalks, trains, pickpockets, muggers and confidence tricksters?

Because it's fun, same goes for Jovis, Mavis etc.

and God or Grud comes in all kinds of pronunciations in the real world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

And let's not forget the sweet baby Jovus.