Main Menu

Daredevil fans in the house?

Started by chris_askham, 20 September, 2008, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Wow. Pop-up hell on Marvel's official site. They should be ashamed of themselves...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Strontium Claw

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 May, 2011, 12:01:29 PM
The character has been completely run into the ground in recent years and Waid, Rivera and especially Marcos Martin (one of the most remarkably talented chaps in US comics) might be just what the doctor ordered. No more pointless retreads of stuff Frank Miller did better two-and-a-half decades ago - I like the fact Waid intends to put a different spin on things.

Precisely.

Having read 2 or 3 trades of Bendis and Brubaker's 'acclaimed' DD run, I felt no inclination to read any further. Slow pacing, static photo referenced art and talking heads dialogue,
it's very overrated IMO.
Andy Diggles' run was disappointing, perhaps because I was expecting something as sharp and entertaining as 'The Losers', and what I got was a car crash called Shadowland. I bailed out after 5 issues.

I really like Daredevil as character and hopefully Mark Waid with Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin's Steve Ditko-style art can bring a much needed sense of fun to the comic.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 May, 2011, 01:07:22 PM
Wow. Pop-up hell on Marvel's official site. They should be ashamed of themselves...

They should be more ashamed of their shit output which only serves to advertise the latest Mavel movie.

Colin YNWA

Decided to put this here as its a bit early to put it in the TV + Film section but according to Bleeding Cool some writer from 'Fringe' (I've not watched it so can't comment) has been asked to adapt 'Born Again' for a DD 'reboot'*

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/07/fringe-writer-hired-to-reboot-daredevil-movie-franchise-with-adaptation-of-frank-miller-david-mazzucchellis-born-again/

Now its a fantastic story, one of the very best. It just seems a strange choice to start something off. Its has long relationships so embedded in the fabric of the story its difficult to see how DD can be built up to be torn down in one film. Still we'll see.

*Also is it a reboot of a franchise when there's one film and a dodgy spin-off?

Greg M.

So, anyone picked up #1 of the Daredevil relaunch by Waid, Rivera and Martin? This has to be the most gorgeous-looking Marvel comic currently out there – the artwork is absolutely sublime, and a perfect fit for a story in which Waid gives us a very new take on Daredevil. Some are saying that it's a Daredevil we haven't seen in 30-40 years, but that's not strictly true – all the successive layers of tragedy are still part of Matt Murdock's background, he's just decided to pretend otherwise. The end result seems to be a carefree and yet clearly in-denial version of the character. Brilliant stuff, I'm a big fan of Mark Waid anyway, but this looks like being the best thing Marvel have had on the stands for ages.

Colin YNWA

I'm really looking forward to this and have heard nothing put good things. It would just seem that alas Daredevil would appear to the the title that Marvel are experimenting with DCs model for trade release on. All of which leads me, as Daredevil for various reasons the one title I tread wait on, having a very long wait for this. Shadowlands is still to come out in trade so this is about a year off I figure. Sigh still by the sounds it'll be good when it comes.

Greg M.

Didn't realise they were so far behind on collecting DD. I hope this run gets the commercial success it deserves, it's looking like such a great and sorely-needed take on the character. Have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be a critical darling but won't set the sales charts on fire though.

Colin YNWA

Well finally caught up with Shadowland and the end Andy Diggle's run on Daredevil, including Reborn.

It turned out the hardbacks were pretty cheap, in fact in a couple of cases cheaper than the trades are currently listed so I puckered up and got um... and read um and well they are a bit rubbish I'm afraid.

Well okay that's not fair. 'Shadowland' itself I just didn't enjoy. I suffered from what many core series for big events do and just seemed like the edited highlights. It was a big action romp but lacked any of the depth that DD stories normally do. The Daredevil issues themselves from Daredevil - Shadowland were better, more interesting. Okay there were some jarring gaps and leaps that if you weren't reading the core 'Shadowland' stuff would have been terrible  but on the whole better. Not great by DDs standards but the tone felt more in keeping with the books normal stuff.

Reborn was the best of the bunch by a distance. It was great but it was certainly more interesting, if the themes behind it were well trodden territory for old hornhead, which made things a little predictable. It did however capture that 'Red Rock West' kinda vibe really well and was great fun.

So Andy Diggle's Daredevil I have to say has been very disappointing overall. Its a shame as DD [spoiler]taking over The Hand and slipping down the path to darkness[/spoiler] seemed such a natural and logical conclusion to what goes on in the fella's life and had such potential to be really interesting. Alas instead we got a technicolour explosion and a cope out ending to Shadowland that anybody well versed in DD lore will have seen coming a mile away.

Shame

Greg M.

I largely agree, Colin... Shadowland was, sad to say, pretty poor. In fairness to Diggle, the whole 'get out of that' aspect of the baton-passing from Brubaker pretty much dictated the direction of Diggle's run from the off - maybe there was more that could have been done with [spoiler]DD as head of The Hand,[/spoiler] but it would have been hard to watch the character slipping month by month into irredeemable darkness, so maybe the whole [spoiler]'he was possessed' [/spoiler] angle was the only way to get him out of it, done to death though the idea was. Sad to say, as each issue went by, it descended into a morass of cliches. The one thing I thought was good is that when [spoiler]Daredevil killed Bullseye, he wasn't possessed - Matt knew exactly what he was doing. I really hope they keep him dead[/spoiler]... but of course they won't.

Professor Bear

The last Daredevil story I read was that one where his life was falling apart.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 August, 2011, 03:41:05 PM
...but it would have been hard to watch the character slipping month by month into irredeemable darkness,

What as a Daredevil fan this worried you????!!!!

Seriously I wondered about the whole

[spoiler]Daredevil killed Bullseye, he wasn't possessed - Matt knew exactly what he was doing. [/spoiler]

That was my first reading. I had a nagging doubt and when back to re-read bits and they do however leave themselves enough wiggle room and a reading can be made that while he wasn't [spoiler]fully in the command of the Hand demon fella[/spoiler] and there is a clear moment when ya man clicks in fully he was on the way. The [spoiler]beastie was playing with his old noggin[/spoiler] and twisting his actions. I personally, having looked at it that way, cast that aside and went with my first instinct and yours that Matt did the deed [spoiler]fully in control[/spoiler]. I just worry, as you do quite rightly with [spoiler]Bullseye[/spoiler] coming back whether down they will bottle it and make it clear that Matt wasn't Matt when this happened.

Still who cares the Waid stuff looks great guns so looking forward to that a load.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 August, 2011, 03:55:46 PM
...but it would have been hard to watch the character slipping month by month into irredeemable darkness,

What as a Daredevil fan this worried you????!!!!

It would have been the irredeemability that would have bothered me - if Matt was deemed to remain in control of his faculties, then the logical progression for the story would be that [spoiler]Matt strives valiantly to change the Hand, slips by degrees, and eventually becomes everything that he always hated with no real way back, and, distanced from the humanising support of Foggy and co, finally kills himself. I suppose at least 'a demon did it' allows the character to function.[/spoiler]

If that seems a bit hypocritical of me, given I said I'd like to think [spoiler]he knew what he was doing when he killed Bullseye[/spoiler], I think that's the kind of moral quandry that's more interesting for that particular character than becoming [spoiler]leader of a clan of demon ninjas[/spoiler]. Did he ever really think that was going to work out?

As an aside, one of my favourite Daredevil covers was issue 293: 'A Bullet For The Punisher'. Though I knew it would never happen, I always wished Matt'd just shot and killed Frank. That would have been an amazing moment.

But yeah... the Waid stuff is just remarkable. And painfully gorgeous.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 August, 2011, 04:10:04 PM

As an aside, one of my favourite Daredevil covers was issue 293: 'A Bullet For The Punisher'. Though I knew it would never happen, I always wished Matt'd just shot and killed Frank. That would have been an amazing moment.

That would indeed be great. Arh Lee Weeks one of the (many) great unsung heroes of Daredevil.

Another thing that Shadowland did for me was put the final nail in the coffin of Ninja's ever being cool again. I mean we all know that a one armed 2 year old, having a bad asthma attack and with a really sore scratched knee could take out a Ninja these days. I mean who would hire these goons? Where do they come from? I can only assume that ninja school far from being, like a ten year programme of discipline and rigour conducted in a secret mountain retreat cut off from the rest of the world, can now in fact be complete, to NVQ level 2 at least at Wigan Technical College.

Someone really needs to do a 'Dalek' on the Ninja

Greg M.

Yet more fodder for the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength.

CommanderJobson

I've own Miller's original run on Daredevil + Born Again & The Man Without Fear. I thoroughly enjoyed Bendis' run, but unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to read Brubaker's run. I have been picking up Mark Waid's issues though. Waid's Daredevil & Rucka's Punisher are currently my two favorite ongoing Marvel titles right now.