General Chat > Film & TV

Last movie watched...

<< < (2/3301) > >>

JOE SOAP:
Watched Carnal Knowledge (1971) last night with Jack Nicholson and Art Garfunkel. Quite a poignant drama of two men who can't or refuse to form lasting relationships with women that aren't just about sex. A very confident and measured film, the type of which you rarely see these days about such a subject without going into actor histrionics of some sort. Also confirms to me Nicholson was the best on-screen actor in the 70's. He had quite a range of different performances unlike his often more touted peers. His best work was done back then:

Five Easy Pieces

Carnal Knowledge

The King of Marvin Gardens

The Last Detail

Chinatown

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Six brilliant yet different and unique performances in the space of five years. After the Shining I think the personality of Jack took over and he became a bit of a parody.

JOE SOAP:

--- Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM ---I must also sing the praises of the ape makeups at the start- i know they are men in suits, but even i was questioning that at times.
--- End quote ---

There is the oft repeated story of how in the same year, Planet of the Apes (1968) was given a Special Honorary Oscar for John Chambers' outstanding, convincing makeup (there was no Best Makeup category until 1981) - the Academy members presumably didn't realize the superior, too-believable makeup in the opening scenes of 2001 that included both human actors with life-like masks and infant chimpanzees.

We can ramble about the greatness and ingenuity of 2001 for days but I have to say it's still the most ambitious film in both ideas and execution Seeing it one Saturday afternoon on BBC 2 in the mid 80's, around the age of 12, it's the film that got me interested in how films are made and in Kubrick and what having a style meant. That one cut between the falling bone to the satellite- between that cut lies the evolution of mankind, the ability to dream and the ingenuity to reshape the environment from those dreams, a sequence of one cut; that a huge and powerful idea could be encapsulated in a single edit made me become an editor.

Satanist:
I watched "I Saw the Devil" the other night. It reminded me of a poor mans "Oldboy".

At 2.5 hrs its half an hour too long but overall was alright. Some really strange and pervy up skirt shots mind, I don't know if that's a recommendation or not?

Albion:
I finally got round to seeing Toy Story 3 recently and was very pleased to find it really is as good as everyone had told me.

Radbacker:
i believe my last movie was Nude Nuns with Big Guns, um title says it all really it did not dissapoint on the Nude Nuns however I expected the guns to be bigger.

CU Radbacker

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version