Main Menu

New and upcoming partworks

Started by rogue69, 17 January, 2018, 03:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 17 November, 2019, 09:28:38 AM
Why are they re-translating Asterix? What's wrong with the existing versions?

I'm guessing the original translations are copyright of the original UK publisher. Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge created whole new jokes and most of the character names*

* That one's a clincher - does anyone want to read a version of Asterix where Dogmatix isn't Dogmatix, Vitalstatistix isn't Vitalstaistix, and Getafix isn't Getafix? Maybe the translations could be licenced too, but that would cost more money. UK readers love those translations as much as they love the art and stories, so if this decision is about saving money, it's a false economy.

I, Cosh

Quote from: rs_jr on 17 November, 2019, 07:35:11 AM
Realistically could machete release english version of previously released french collections like the lucky luke, blueberry, smurfs and Thorgal?
I assume the cost of translation and re-lettering would be a big problem.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Depends on where and how it's done, I suppose. Compare, say, Rebellion's work on Halo Jones and/or the relettering Jim's done with IDW's disasterous 'remastering' the entire Marvel US Transformers run using what looked like an automated process that obliterated line work and introduced a shit-ton of typos and mashed letterforms.

rs_jr

Papercutz will use the original names and it is suppose to be targeted at the us market.

there is less paper count in the asterix ultimate collection per volume compared to the dredd and the 2000 ad ultimate collection, so aim hoping they can make the books larger format like the french editions

Tomwe

I would imagine a Hachette collection will use the existing translations. The Papercutz books are for the American Market after all. The Pipeline Comicbook Podcast covered the new US editions in detail last week.

rs_jr

where i can i buy the released issues of asterix the ultimate collection ?

thanks

Tomwe

Hachette sale now on - half price on those four issue trials of xmen and aliens/predator.

rogue69

sheridan

Quote from: rogue69 on 08 January, 2020, 08:36:19 PM
New Warhammer game/ figure partwork out now 80 issues @£7.99 issue 1 £2.99

https://www.warhammermortalrealms.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAmNbwBRBOEiwAqcwwpYbaxRgX9RD1oAo6-etGb6kVEQ6FpkbFmOdDRMc_He4aB3FRvfuwJhoCWrQQAvD_BwE

Tempting to get that for some of the painting supplies given away with the early issues - considering all the Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd miniatures I've got lately?

TordelBack

I picked up the first issue because the ghosties seemed good value and a good fit for my Dragon Warriors game. Beyond some of the undead, I've no interest in the Sigmar aesthetic, and the paint haul isn't as good as it has been in the WH40K equivalent. Goodies seem heavily skewed towards the 'premium sub' level.

NapalmKev

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2020, 11:22:18 PM
I picked up the first issue because the ghosties seemed good value and a good fit for my Dragon Warriors game.

The first issue does contain some nice mini's but like yourself I'll be using them for something else; namely, Heroquest. I may even entertain painting the 3 human mini's as Stone or bronze Golums as the designs look like a good fit.

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2020, 11:22:18 PM
...and the paint haul isn't as good as it has been in the WH40K equivalent. Goodies seem heavily skewed towards the 'premium sub' level.

I went all-in with the 40k version which is pretty good value on the whole, although I would suggest that there are too many issues containing scenery. This new collection will be cherry picking only!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

Golems is a good idea! And I've just remembered that I need some heroic-age statues for a future puzzle room.

I basic-subbed for the 40K one, and aside from a ridiculous quantity of that basing paste which I don't use, I've been really happy with it - pressure of work and family (and a cold dark workspace) has me very behind in painting since the autumn, but I'll get back to it. I've done a surprising amount of the modelling (for me) and it's really helped my so-called skills.

Oddly the scenery has been my favourite part - I try to paint it as setting-agnostic as possible for use in SW, SD and Dredd. Although two of those big skull-faced reactors think may have been too much, I'm looking forward to the gantries. Other than a few shipping delays, I've really no complaints.

I'm now studiously ignoring Mortal Realms, but the first was absolutely stuffed with things, and as I'm short on Corax White the second issue is tempting...

karlos

Interesting news on some Marvel UK-centric entries in the Marvel partworks collection, via the great Downthetubes:

https://downthetubes.net/?p=114167

Check out the final paragraph - Deaths Head!  Dragons Claws!

TordelBack

In a not-supposed-to-be-idle moment I assembled the Banshees that came free with my pot of Corax White in Issue 2 of Mortal Realms.  Bloody hell, those are incredible models- GW is doing astonishingly delicate stuff with multi-part single-pose sculpts these days.

Tomwe

Just in case anyone is interested in DC Superheroes, Hachette are now launching their own partwork of DC graphic novels (the Eaglemoss one is now up to #144)

https://dccollection.hachettepartworks.com

The first four books are Batman, Harley, Superman & Wonderwoman (specifics can be found through the link)