Main Menu

Gamesradar slaps down Colin YNWA (or: Another Dredd Top 10)

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 15 June, 2021, 03:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Poor Colin. All that work on the best Dredds, and then Gamesradar drop this:

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-judge-dredd-comics/

Nice to see some recognition of Dredd, but all that hard work ignored. What kind of hack couldn't be bothered to just lift our list?

And Return of Rico at #4? Helter Skelter at #10?

No City of the Damned?
Lock up your spoons!

BPP

What a load of old toot.

#oz
#Cityofthedammed
#theapoclaypsewar
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 15 June, 2021, 03:14:01 PM
No City of the Damned?

*faints*

---

There are so many stories better than The Return of Rico. I mean, even The Return of Rico (950-952) is better than The Return of Rico (31).

- The Starborn Thing
- Cry of the Werewolf
- The Taxidermist
- Eldster Ninja Mud-Wrestling Vigilantes [that's enough - ed.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Corinthian

Rico is an understandable inclusion, because it's historically important. Helter Skelter is the baffling one.

DrJomster

I think Helter Skelter must be there so they can name drop some famous comics people who used to work for Tharg.... If not, then yep, totally baffling.

As seems to have been noticed, there are a few obvious potential omissions on this list...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

Saw that 2000ad themselves linked to this and even though commented there was at least one controversal choice. All it does is show that any one individuals list will look curious to us unwashed masses.

Still fun write up.

sheridan

Quote from: DrJomster on 16 June, 2021, 03:55:34 AM
I think Helter Skelter must be there so they can name drop some famous comics people who used to work for Tharg.... If not, then yep, totally baffling.

As seems to have been noticed, there are a few obvious potential omissions on this list...

No Crusade or Judgement Day, for a start ;) ;)

Always funny how different people will pick some unexpected choices (if they were just going for big names then surely they'd have rotated out Helter Skelter for Emerald Isle?  They'd have got the creative team for Hellblazer and Preacher then).

I noticed there was also a link to an article on (the boardgame) Block Mania too: 80s Judge Dredd board game Block Mania returns.

CalHab

Quote from: DrJomster on 16 June, 2021, 03:55:34 AM

That's exactly it. We should just be thankful they didn't include any Mark Millar.

AlexF

Hey, who doesn't love an idiosyncratic list of top Dredd stories?
I've got a lot of time for this suggested list, Helter Skelter and all, for me the big 'missing' thing is that if he's talking about ANY Dredd story, one has to bung in, say, Case Files 6 or 9 to showcase a selection of shorter, typically funny but sometimes moving/thrilling tales.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I think when you talk any story you are placing yourself on wobbly ground as unless you have a smacking memory you are much more likely to forget some of the brilliant short stories than you are the longer form and epic ones.

So where is 'Buried my heart' or 'Letter from a Democrat' that's before you get to personal favs like 'The Man who knew too much', 'The Big Sleep' and '300 seconds'... your on a hiding to nothing... well even more so... when you include everything.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 June, 2021, 11:46:45 AM
Yeah I think when you talk any story you are placing yourself on wobbly ground as unless you have a smacking memory you are much more likely to forget some of the brilliant short stories than you are the longer form and epic ones.

So where is 'Buried my heart' or 'Letter from a Democrat' that's before you get to personal favs like 'The Man who knew too much', 'The Big Sleep' and '300 seconds'... your on a hiding to nothing... well even more so... when you include everything.

Or, y'know, City of the Damned
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

Oh totally. Beyond the Wall is terrific - as good as Garth ennis sequel was bad. But then Wagner conjured up Banzai Batallion so it's all good in the end.