Main Menu

Black Beth and the Devils of Al-Kadesh

Started by broodblik, 24 June, 2021, 05:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

This has been a very enjoyable read and the whole setup and environment reminds me of the world of Conan and Red Sonja.

The special is divided into 3 stories whereas the first takes off from the previous stories published in the Scream specials.  Alec Worley continues to deliver the script for all the stories.

Art for the first story is again provided by Dani and is also the one that takes up the bulk of the special.  This story basically wraps-up what happened in the previous specials and is written in such away that you do not have to read the previous stories. A lot of action and the story rockets at a Bolt-like pace but still feels does not feels rushed.

The second story is a quick 3 pager and is more of a filler.

The third story continues the story of the Death Man and visuals are provided by Vincenzo Riccardi and script by Doug Graves. The story is not to bad but not the most dynamic and is adequate.

Overall, I liked the special and I can see potential for a series of Black Beth in the prog or even in the meg.  So hopefully we will see more off the characters on display here.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Michael Knight

Really looking forward to picking this up!

broodblik

Colin YNWA

Good special - to be fair much to add to what broodblik says.

I was a little surprised that this was american format but its still a very nice product. Chuck full.

The main story is very entertaining, a classic Conan style fantasy romp full of betray, magic and violence. DaNi's art is lush, but at times loses a little on the storytelling but its stylistically very striking and overall carries the story very, very well.

The backups are slight but just about edge above just being filler. There are some striking posters, a lovely cover, nice brief intro that covers a lot of ground... you know this just works as a product and I hope it finds a audience.

Barrington Boots

This special completely ruled. The main story captures the feel of Howard / Fritz Leiber nicely and Dani's art is just wonderful and so well suited to it. I know we've had a little gut of sword and sorcery stuff lately with Feral & Foe, Kingmaker etc but I'd love to see this in the Prog or even the Meg, and if not I hope it returns. Loved it. The backups are kinda slight, but the pinups are lovely and all in all it's a great little comic.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

HeidTheBaw

I don't think I read the same book as you guys.

Whilst I thought the script was very good, the art wasn't acceptable for a £5 book.

Extremely confusing in places and a general feeling of looking at someone's doodle book.

Dani is a good artist, I've seen great work from her elsewhere, but this was clearly very rushed. Why design a monster or do backgrounds when you can just do a bunch of scribbles instead.

It very much took me out of the story.

dweezil2

Not much to add to the other positive assessments, except to say that this was a most welcome addition to the Rebellion portfolio of comics and I hope we see more soon.
Loved DaNi's art, the colour really brought the art to life. Great work from all the other contributers too.
The U.S comic book size irked me initially, but if this format means that it finds its way into more comic book readers, then it's a sacrifice worth making.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Esteban Maroto, was my initial thought on opening this. And since I'm a huge fan of Maroto, I very much liked this. Yes, I admit, it did feel somewhat 'seventies', if only because it seemed like a strip transplanted from Savage Sword of Conan in its heyday- but that'll do me. Great stuff.

SBT

JimmyNailz

I bought this partly to support Rebellions output and because I like Dani's artwork, but mainly picked it up for a friends daughter (I think she's 10 or 11ish) who has shown an interest in comics and for whom I hoped it would be appropiate. On an initial flick through I saw the word "shit" being uttered in one of the back-up strips so immediately put all thoughts of gifting it to a young lass to one side.

I then started reading for my own entertainment but just couldn't get into it.

Overall, just not sure who this was aimed at.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 14 July, 2021, 11:46:31 AMI saw the word "shit" being uttered in one of the back-up strips so immediately put all thoughts of gifting it to a young lass to one side.
Sigh. That's it out as even a potential option for mini-IP, then, even if it was otherwise suitable. Such an easy thing to have replaced as well.

repoman

I should probably add this to my Scream site, but it's such a vague connection to the real Scream stories.

IndigoPrime

Finally read it. The lead story was fun. It felt old-school in a good way and I liked the art. It'd be interesting to see this character develop with the same team in 2000 AD as a replacement for Slaine.

The first back-up, though, was slight, and I've no idea what the editorial team was thinking with Death Man. I can only assume it was a Vigilant link, given the ad. But it was so far out of whack stylistically and thematically that it made the comic as a whole give me whiplash. Not a good ending.

Sean SD

just read this Black Beth special on the iPad.

Have enjoyed the Scream/Misty specials of the past few years so thought I would pick this one up as well.

Had a quick re-read of previous Black Beth stories from the aforementioned specials but didn't need to as this story stands up on its own.

Enjoyed this Black Beth story and art and would like to see more whether it be prog/meg or in specials such as this.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 July, 2021, 09:47:54 PM
It'd be interesting to see this character develop with the same team in 2000 AD as a replacement for Slaine.

Agreed, always good to have some sword and scorcery in the prog so would be a great sub for Slaine.

The short story was ok but the last one didn't really fit the tone of the previous Beth stories.

The first poster was a cracker, overall more Black Beth pls

Richard S.

I've been notified that pages from this will go on sale tonight at 7pm (UK time) - more details https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2021/08/black-beth-art-by-dani.html
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf