Main Menu

Kevin O'Neill 1953 - 2022

Started by sheridan, 07 November, 2022, 03:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

It's difficult to put into words just how good an artist Kevin O'Neill was. Truly one of a kind.
Metalzoic pun aside, I think his artwork could literally rewire your brain.

RIP Brother O'Neill, and thank you for 40+ years of fantastic entertainment.

ming

Such sad news; reeling a bit over this one.  Decades-worth of memories tied up with Kev's insanely wonderful artwork and pretty much my first and defining comics memory is tied up with him, when I picked up an issue of Star Lord (with the Midpoint crash); from that moment I was hooked and he never, ever disappointed.  A huge loss, deeply felt.

Dash Decent

Gutted.

The man who co-wrote, and entirely illustrated, "Dash Decent". And such was his talent, he did other stuff as well.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP Mr O'Neill, and thanks.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

nxylas

AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

karlos

A lovely tribute.  All this outpouring of love and respect is very moving.

blackmocco

Quote from: karlos on 08 November, 2022, 03:08:05 PM
A lovely tribute.  All this outpouring of love and respect is very moving.

I just think his style opened people's eyes (particularly budding artist-type's eyes!) to a notion that comic art and illustration didn't have to fall into this uniform, accurate style. I obviously loved Bolland's and Gibbons' artwork in 2000AD or John Byrne drawing X-Men but I sure as fuck couldn't draw like them. Their skills were beyond compare, but because of that I found their art was also quite intimidating as a result. O'Neill's artwork was like a thumbs-up for everyone who felt the same way as me - that there were no rules to follow or even better: that you could just make your own and ignore everyone else's. That's a pretty important lesson to learn and all the better if you start learning it early. It's no exaggeration to say I wouldn't have a career as an artist (that as it may be) without discovering his art. I'm going to take a wild guess I'm not alone with that.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

karlos

Very heartening words, Blackmocco.

I've always thought the same thing about his art - it was singular and pure punk.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Devastating news. I can remember moving from Spiderman comics to 2000ad and his work on Nemesis, and it blowing my perception of what comic art could be to bits. It was the same intoxicating feeling as when I first heard heavy metal music: a giddy thrill of finding a whole new world, a more exciting, edgy one where the rules of bland normality didn't apply.
Later his work on Marshall Law was so influential for me in my teenage years. It was like discovering him all over again.

Some lovely tributes. Can only echo everyone else saying: Thank you Kevin, for everything.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Magnetica

As well being pretty much the definition of a 2000AD artist, he also made, what was for me, the best observation on the Future Shock documentary.

Which was that as a 2000AD fan, you might think you want it to have mainstream success, but really you don't as that would mean it would lose the qualities that attracted you to it in the first place.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Art

Richmond Clements