Main Menu

Meg 450: Skeleton Crew

Started by Tomwe, 14 November, 2022, 12:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: M.I.K. on 25 November, 2022, 12:13:02 PM
Fish once really pissed off my mum by taking far too long in front of her in Haddington Post Office.
Kayleigh, it's too late to say I'm sorry.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Proudhuff

Quote from: M.I.K. on 25 November, 2022, 12:13:02 PM
Fish once really pissed off my mum by taking far too long in front of her in Haddington Post Office.

He's known for that. JK Rowling once got the last couple of pieces of salmon out the fishmongers when in front of me... it must be a fish thing.
DDT did a job on me

nxylas

Quote from: JWare on 25 November, 2022, 11:41:44 AM
You mean like Dredd quoting Hollies lyrics to establish 2000AD's punk credentials?
To be fair, i would have been a bit weird if Dredd had carried Rico saying "God save the Queen, the fascist regime."
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JohnW

Quote from: nxylas on 25 November, 2022, 03:13:14 PM
To be fair, i would have been a bit weird if Dredd had carried Rico saying "God save the Queen, the fascist regime."
To be fair, you have a point.
How about we split the difference between the Hollies and the Pistols and go for, I dunno – early Bowie or something?
Joe shoots Rico and delivers the searing line, 'The papers want to know whose shirts you wear'.
(This could refer back to Rico's criminal activities and leave things open for a a follow-up story that would answer the question.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

Quote from: AlexF on 25 November, 2022, 09:34:16 AM
Anyone else getting Pat Mills vibes off David Hine's scripting - espeically the sequence where 'Fish' loudly attempts to prove his metal bonafides? It's a bold writer who's angling to take that mantle on!

Just read the interview with David Hine where he says death metal is 'parodic' and he doesn't seem to know anything about it, which explains why his death metal characters are such shitty, goofy stereotypes.
I mean, I don't expect anything beyond broad strokes and piss-take in a comic about interdimensional murdering ghosts but this has been really poor stuff.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

The 'parodic' line feels lazy. Good parody requires a knowledge of what it is you're taking the piss out of, otherwise you're into generic stereotyping and punching down.

Barrington Boots

Agreed IP. Metal is ridiculous, and has a fine tradition of taking the piss out of itself, but there's a difference to being on the inside laughing at yourself to being on the outside laughing at.

Tbh I don't really care. A lot of other stuff I like has been mocked in 2000ad that didn't annoy me, but here I just got briefly wound up by what felt like a Daily Mail-esque treatment of something I'm passionate about.
You're a dark horse, Boots.