Main Menu

Mad Max - Fury Road

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 May, 2015, 07:34:50 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 21 May, 2015, 05:58:14 PM
...It very much stressed that it wasn't Joe who was the Big Bad Guy, it was the whole system he sat at the head of.

I know that as viewers our sympathies are supposed to be firmly with Max and Fury... but in the context of that world is Joe not one of the best things that could have happened to it?

He's marshalled together all these hundreds of people who'd long have since have died had they tried going it alone, and centralised the survivors in a place where water and food can be provided for every last one. Every one of these citizens has been given a role to play - right down to the mutated, the maimed, the irradiated. And not only does everyone have a purpose (and, therefore, a reason for living), but in the Valhalla mythology Joe's given everyone back belief - those with the shortest life expectancy (the War Boys) are given the most self-worth of all! And while he's been nothing but inclusive of society's genetic dregs, he's also working on a breeding programme to produce pure bloodlines again. He's single-handedly on the way to making civilisation a viable option once more. Without him what would there be, but a few radioactive stragglers picking a living in the dust, waiting for death?

The Humongous from MM2, by contrast, was an out-and-out baddie - just out for what he could get for him and his gang and anyone weaker than them was considered prey. Immortan Joe is a hero!*

*Shame about the 'blood banks', but nobody's perfect.

Thinking about it, I would think Aunty Entity in Thunderdome fits this profile more than IJ, right? (I know Thunderdome gets no love compared to the others but I have a real soft spot for that one. Sorry.) She's devoted her life to rebuilding civilization. Granted, it all has to be on her terms.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 May, 2015, 01:51:48 AM
If by 'Feminist' they mean 'where women are treated like people with complicated motivations and characterizations instead of being treated as objects or set dress'. Then yes. It's a noticeably 'feminist' movie.
Also, MRA's hate the movie. That by default means it's a good movie.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 May, 2015, 11:49:41 PM
They reminded me of that McMahon Slaine page; Slaine and Ukko riding pigs through a swamp past various stiltwalkers (and a zombie).

Absolutely the first thing I thought of.

(Although I have this vague feeling that there might have been something similar in an episode of The Storyteller, with which McCarthy was strongly involved...)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Also reminiscent of the Wheeler's from Return to Oz

Buttonman

Looks like it was a Dark Crystal and Miyazaki mash up.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/11/dark-crystal-and-miyazaki-combine-in-beautifully-terrifying-stilt-spirit-costume-2679378?lt_source=external,manual

Still think I've seen something similar in an painting but I do imagine things on there pills!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 May, 2015, 01:51:48 AM
If by 'Feminist' they mean 'where women are treated like people with complicated motivations and characterizations instead of being treated as objects or set dress'. Then yes. It's a noticeably 'feminist' movie.

Not so sure about that, but I guess that it may I. I might go through my internet history to find the video I heard about that stuff.

I'm more concerned about the dark side of feminism, just read Slaine - Demon-Killer for what I meant by that personally.

Pyroxian

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 22 May, 2015, 10:46:08 AM
I'm more concerned about the dark side of feminism, just read Slaine - Demon-Killer for what I meant by that personally.

I think you may be confusing Feminism for Misandry - please don't.

Hawkmumbler

Richmond Clements

Hawkmumbler

Mysogyny isn't about hate as much as systemic opression. If Misandry is to be considered an gender reversel of mysog then it simply doesn'y hold up.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 May, 2015, 11:04:57 AM
If Misandry is to be considered an gender reversel of mysog then it simply doesn'y hold up.

I'm not sure you get to use your own definitions of words...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 May, 2015, 11:19:20 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 May, 2015, 11:04:57 AM
If Misandry is to be considered an gender reversel of mysog then it simply doesn'y hold up.

I'm not sure you get to use your own definitions of words...

Cheers

Jim
I don't understand what you are getting at...misandry is a lie perpetrated by MRA's to try and justify their attitudes. Mysogyny is a universal issue and manifests in any number of oppressive measures.

Pyroxian

To clarify - I was using the definition here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misandry (Sorry for derailing the thread!)

Also:

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 May, 2015, 11:23:32 AM
I don't understand what you are getting at...misandry is a lie perpetrated by MRA's to try and justify their attitudes. Mysogyny is a universal issue and manifests in any number of oppressive measures.

Misandry does exist - just more at an individual level, and nowhere near the scale that Mysogyny does. TS seemed confused that Mad Max had a Misandrist agenda, instead of being a slightly feminist movie.

Link Prime

Goodbye Mad Max: Fury Road thread...