Main Menu

Mad Max - Fury Road

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Witness Me!!!

Loved the film as saw it tonight with subtitled.

ming

Simon Beigh

Just finished reading the first of four comics to be published by Vertigo detailing the back stories of the main characters. The first one tells the tale of Nux [spoiler](he's the bald groupie that makes Max his blood bank and joins the road trip)[/spoiler] and Immortan Joe. Miller wrote the story, and one of the concept artists did some of the art (Sexton).

It's pretty good. The Nux story is quite short, which is fine, as there's plenty of room to tell Joe's tale. I'd highly recommend it. Seems to be sold out pretty much everywhere, though, with it going for over a tenner on eBay if you can find one. Or you could wait for the TPB which will be released after the comics. I think the comics are being released one a month...

Jim_Campbell

Taking the missus tomorrow. Be curious to see what she makes of it...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

My missus didn't like it at all. Makes going a second time problematic unless I nip out of work early. Hmmmm...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: von Boom on 28 May, 2015, 06:50:18 PM
My missus didn't like it at all. Makes going a second time problematic unless I nip out of work early. Hmmmm...

Get a new wife.

Cheers!

Jim

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: von Boom on 28 May, 2015, 06:50:18 PM
Think I know a good wife repair line....

Colin YNWA

Well finally got around to this, popping to see it after work tonight. Have to say I was a little worried, having heard nothing but good things could it possibly live up to expectations. Well of course it bloody could. Its everything people have said it is. Its frankly an astonishing bit of storytelling and utterly thrilling.

As people have alliuded to a little nervous as to how Mad Max 2 will compare now and I've always adored that film, but can it possibly hold up... well if nothing else a damned good excuse to see it again to find out.

Jim_Campbell

Wife enjoyed it, which is a relief because it means I don't have to replace her.

Still fucking awesome. I hadn't registered how little people speak on the first viewing, but as soon as more than two lines were exchanged this time, I became acutely aware that no one had really said anything for ten minutes.

Still involuntarily exhaled and realised I'd been gripping the arm of my seat at the end of the sandstorm.

This film is a fucking symphony.

Cheers

Jim

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 May, 2015, 11:45:39 PM
Still involuntarily exhaled and realised I'd been gripping the arm of my seat at the end of the sandstorm.

That freakishly huge sandstorm reminded of the hyperspace sequence used in Elite Dangerous and when small part of the convoy got caught up in and was blown away while been ripped to scrap metal and the flesh and bone within.

I thought about what might happen if space-ships from that game didn't Mass-Lock when trying to jump in close proximity to each other or a station.

I think of this as a safety measure to stop ships been torn in half if that was possible and not sure anybody else who play or is otherwise connected with that game does.

Anyway, that's where my mind wandered when I saw something like that in film and you really need to excuse my comparison of this part of a road movie to pseudo-real space/time physics found in a computer game.   

Dandontdare

I hadn't registered how little people speak on the first viewing, but as soon as more than two lines were exchanged this time, I became acutely aware that no one had really said anything for ten minutes.

And yet we still learn so much about the people and their world -at first, I was one of those "it's just the chase scene out of MM2" idiots, but I've come to realise just how much compressed storytelling there was - they've managed to subliminally cram in more plot than you could shake a mutated dingo at.

radiator

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 May, 2015, 12:42:44 AM
I hadn't registered how little people speak on the first viewing, but as soon as more than two lines were exchanged this time, I became acutely aware that no one had really said anything for ten minutes.

And yet we still learn so much about the people and their world -at first, I was one of those "it's just the chase scene out of MM2" idiots, but I've come to realise just how much compressed storytelling there was - they've managed to subliminally cram in more plot than you could shake a mutated dingo at.

I saw someone I admire today on Twitter unfavourably compare Fury Road to the Peter Griffin vs Chicken Suit running gag in Family Guy - ie that it is just all action and has no plot. Can't please 'em all I suppose!

inkymonkey

Quote from: radiator on 30 May, 2015, 01:15:53 AM

I saw someone I admire today on Twitter unfavourably compare Fury Road to the Peter Griffin vs Chicken Suit running gag in Family Guy - ie that it is just all action and has no plot. Can't please 'em all I suppose!

Ehhhh... I always find it interesting (and depressing) how some people don't understand the difference between plot and story... and how both do NOT rely on the characters SPEAKING to each other.

But to each their own..!

Colin YNWA

Yeah that was what impressed me most. There was almost a Wagnerian (it is a term, I looked it up) use of dialogue which pushed plot and character forward a wonderful amount. It did leave the film with a minor problem (very, very minor) it made Max's narrators voice over feel a bit silly and laboured, but ya know that was so easy to get over.

A brilliantly realised and full story.

blackmocco

Quote from: radiator on 30 May, 2015, 01:15:53 AM

To me, the most disappointing thing about a comparison like that is that the viewer missed the nuances (and the point!) of the storytelling. Action blockbusters traditionally spoonfeed you the exposition like you're a fucking five year old and yet when a movie like this comes along, asking you to pay attention and dig a little, people are disappointed they weren't spoonfed. I would make the argument the movie needs to be seen at least twice simply because the first viewing is so visually overloaded. I saw it a sixth time yesterday (yes, it sounds obsessive at this point, but there is so much to see in the movie. So much beauty and attention to detail in the background that the movie calls no attention to but deserves to be seen) and my enthusiasm for it hasn't waned one bit.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com