Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Orphan and the Five Beasts #1. This is a few months old, but I picked it up at the weekend so it's "new" to me at least! It's a James Stokoe martial arts series heavily influenced by Manga. It pretty closely follows genre conventions and adopts a lot of storytelling techniques from Manga. There's a fair amount of humour in there too, often gory as you'd expect from Stokoe. I could happily stare at Stokoe's art all day, so this appeals to me.

The unfortunate thing is that appears like it'll be a pain/expensive to get the rest of this miniseries. I might just wait for it to be collected.

Link Prime

A whiff of dissatisfaction this week, unfortunately:

Batman: Reptilian 1. Stellar art from Sharp, but the script left me cold blooded. Ennis did a cool version of Batman, once, in a few panels of Hitman, a lifetime ago. Here it falls flat. I have read very little of this kinda stuff in recent years, and have to give it to SGM for setting a new gold standard with 'White Knight', against which this is outmatched by leagues. I'm out for the remainder of the series, but will keep an eye on reviews over the next few months - if word of mouth picks up I will get the collection at some stage.

Grendel: Devils Odyssey 7. A Grendel comic I didn't enjoy? Say it ain't so, ma. This was clearly written a year or two ago when such acidulous Trump Derangement Syndrome would have been rewarded with a chuckle, but now - in July 2021 - it elicits no more than a minor shudder of cringe. Bit of a waste of an issue, but faultless artwork, as per the Wagnerian standard.

BRZRKR 3. Alright I suppose, but I seemed to blast through it in about 4 minutes, and it was a little bit of a let down compared to the previous two instalments. I will round up with the now cliched "nice artwork, though" comment.

I'm starving for a decent read this weekend, but I note that Barry Windsor Smith's Monsters has reached the top of the pile. Face it Tiger - you might have just hit the jackpot.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 July, 2021, 09:20:06 PM

Grendel: Devils Odyssey 7. A Grendel comic I didn't enjoy? Say it ain't so, ma.

It ain't so...

CalHab

Crossover #7. An interlude between the end of the first storyline and the start of the new one gives an opportunity for some guest creators. The ridiculously prolific Chip Zdarsky is on script and the great Phil Hester is on art with Dee Cuniffe, Andy Parks and with John Hill lettering. In Crossover comic characters have come to life and are bleeding into the real world. Zdarsky has spotted the consequence of including a bit of Morrison-esque post-modernism in one of his issues of Sex Criminals, and this drives the plot. I was already on board with Crossover but this issue has one of the funniest sequences I've read in a long time. Highly recommended.

It also includes a guest appearance by some other creators' characters, as in previous issues.

CalHab

Orphan and the Five Beasts #2. After complaining about the difficulty of finding issue 2, of course it turned up on the shelf in my local comic shop a few days later. Lucky, because this is great fun and has some wonderfully kinetic and gruesome artwork. In typical James Stokoe fashion, issue 3 was supposed to be out in May but doesn't seem to be on the shelves yet.

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 June, 2021, 09:45:28 PM
First up Gamma Flight 1 - which kinda covers both. This one spins off from Immortal Hulk andf it has some nice introductions to characters from there... but I'm not sure why it exists yet, its not actually told me what its about, whay will drive this as a tale. Still only issue one and four to go but a slow start out the blocks for this one.

Yeah, I'm struggling to understand this one but I am quite glad to see them removed from Immortal Hulk. They slowed the storyline down a lot and I'm not nearly as interested in the bickering of Z-list superheroes as Al Ewing seems to be (see also Guardians of the Galaxy and much of his other Marvel work). Anyway, the first issue did absolutely nothing that hadn't already been covered to death in previous Immortal Hulk issues.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 06 July, 2021, 09:13:12 AM
... I'm not nearly as interested in the bickering of Z-list superheroes as Al Ewing seems to be (see also Guardians of the Galaxy and much of his other Marvel work)....

Yeah this was why I ended up dropping this one. The characters where fine, the action okay, I just didn't need to learnt more about them and what drives them.

Colin YNWA

Quite a small haul this time and a couple are in problems - well one is gone.

Way of X 4 - I should love this Nightcrawler and Spurrioso but it just leaves me cold so its gone.

We Only Find Them When They're Dead 7 - I need to re-read this now as its leaving me a little baffled as to what I'm reading. i suspect a re-read - if and when I get to it will shake it back into place.

Immortal Hulk 48 was a quiet character moment between Betty (Harpy) and Hulk, before what I assume with be the storm of the ending - and it missed to be honest.

The rest are all utter successes

Out of Body 2 is just Milligan at his best as our comatozed protangonist starts to learn both his options and the limits he has to use them. The villains become more defined and its just fantastic.

As is Usagi Yojimbo - Dragon Bellow Conspiracy 1 I have increasing mis-giving about this being in colour AND I didn't even read it in Black and White yet but this is the way I've decided to enter the world of Yojimbo so I need to move that aside and just enjoy some wonderful comics.

That Texas Blood 7 swings in for its second arc and this one is a memory of terrors past - its a very bright start.

Book of the haul is a bit of a cheap as it could have been any of the above three but instead I'm going with Kane and Able the 72 ogn (does this count as an ogn?) by Shaky Kane and Krent Able (who I don't know). Kane's stuff roams around Bulletproof Coffin territory and is astonishing. Able's stuff is a look more traditionally comix (if that makes any sense) but is still wonderful. This is a beautiful over-sized package and a delight. Get it if you can and like Shaky.

Link Prime

Only two for pick-up this week:

Black Beth and The Devils of Al-Kadesh - I quite enjoyed that. The throwback style of the main story clicked, and Dani's artwork seemed a bit more polished than other recent work (Low Low Woods), yet retained the same evolved style. A successful offering from the house of Tharg, only niggle was the steep-ish €7 price tag.

Red Room 2 - How do you follow-up on a 5 star first issue? With a 5 star second issue, naturally. There was something clawing at the back of my mind when looking at Piskor's art in this issue - to my eye it's very similar in visceral style to Jim McCarthy / Brett Ewins. I will now commence the online campaign hounding TMO to release one more 6 page 'Bad Company: Finale' by Milligan & Piskor, detailing how everything since The Krool Heart was the fever dream of a nascent Demigod.

Colin YNWA

Quite the haul this one. Been longer than I thought so quite a big un...missus...

Ahem...

Strange Adventures 11 was kinda infuriating. The arguement seemed to be entirely at odds with what we'd learnt of Adam and Alanna. It was as if Tom King has decided that basing an issue around a fierce and passionate slanging match was an interesting idea and to hell with anything else ... so why am I buying into Tom King's next title Human Target. Well cos annoying as it might be there is always something interesting in there an I suspect it will be better read as one and damn it looked good.

Gamma Flight 2 Punch, smack, wack, body horror, smash... meh...

Immortal Hulk 49 while over at the main title the comic has one of it good issues, a satisfying illustrated text story... with body horror of course.

Couple of very good, very different debutes. Not all Robots 1, I mean its SOOOOOoooo Mark Russell, but then damn Mark Russell is so good. So I got over the familarity quickly. Bermuda 1 was a simple high adventure tale with monsters and a bit of mystery. Damn it looks good too. A LOT of fun.

As is 6 Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton 2 it was only when flicking through after reading I notices how many panels Chris Schweizer gets on a page so effortlessly. Its testament to Kyle Starks writing that it all remains such brisk fun. Great comic.

Time Before Time 3 is likewise a great comic. Grimmy hard bitten time travel has never been so entertaininglyl down at heel.

Haha 6 is heart breaking on two fronts. The story of a clown at the end and the sadness and depression they represent. Secondly that so many folks seem to be buying this comic for speculation not to read it. Its bloody brilliant... oh and three out of two, its over.

More Mark Russell in another very Mark Russell comic in the almost as good as the above Second Coming 2.

Couple of Black Hammer titles. Black Hammer Reborn 2 is setting up a very interesting third main arc. Feeling a little detached from the first two, but that's no bad thing as they tell felt told. Still an excellent comic. Surprisingly the one shot by not Jeff Lemire is the star though with Black Hammer Visions 6 and a tale of Cthu-Lou (father of Cthu-Louise), yes, yes they did do that and if you've not read it you really should it works so well is one of the funniest comics I've read in a good long time.

That Texas Blood 8 up next, another visual treat, another wonderful mystery another down to Earth wonder.

Usagi Yojimbo - Dragon Bellow Conspiracy 2 comics are rarely so good without an sense of trying. Its an easy delightful read.

Book of the Haul though, well Grendel Devil's odyssey 8 of course. A fascinating way to end Prime's quest and the reason it book of the haul - well the fact it ends so well and at the same time beckons in more to come with the next series of 3, 4 issues minis announced. And damn does it look like a fantastic premise to build into.

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 August, 2021, 09:04:41 PM
Immortal Hulk 49 while over at the main title the comic has one of it good issues, a satisfying illustrated text story... with body horror of course.

I liked this one too. I'm glad to see Ewing pull it together for the finale next issue.

Colin YNWA

Pretty damned fine haul this time all things considered. Barely a bum note... well maybe 2.

Gamma Flight 3 - why am I getting this... well we know why its part of the Ewing Immortal Hulk run and I get that - even if it has become very hit and miss. But this, this just washes over me and I get it purely as there's little point cancelling 5 issue mini-series that might... just might have something to say to add to the overall narrative when I get around to reading the whole bloody thing again (the Ewing Immortal Hulk run that is)... or to put it another way I'm a bloody idiot that's why.

Okay so I get what Fantastic Four - Life Story is going for, I'm just not sure why it needs to. So even though Fantastic Four Life Story 3 is written (as they all are of course but needed to get the issue number in there) Mark Russell, and that's the only reason I get this comic, I wonder just what this series will mean when its all done. Will it add anything to the FF's tale or will it be just another way to drag tales out when there's not real tale to be told?

From then on its all good stuff, so in no particular order (until we get to the end);

Out of Body 3 - what Peter Milligan does best a fantastic series with lovely art from Inaki Miranda.We'll have more on him in a FCBD special coming very soon.

That Texas Blood 9 and Lazarus 6 both take the art of decompressed storytelling to the very, very limit of acceptable but when they do it this well it okay. Very few would get away with it especially with Lazarus' very spotty release schedule - 9 or so month since the last one and even though this is a shiny bumper package (they all are now) you gotta wonder how satisfying this will read when all done. I mean it will be excellent as the series is BUT when we get to then end and read it I wonder if I will just sit there, month slightly open and say wow how did that take 10 years to produce ( and I'm being very optimistic about the future scheduling) will it have enough to it to really make this all worth it... mind I love the individual issues when they do land so maybe...

Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters 5 and Bermuda 2 are at the opposite end of the spectrum, brisk, engaging bouncey all ages fun and a delight.

Now we have a new title the visually sumptous and turned on its side for all sorts of visual impact Echolands 1 by JH Willams III and W Haden Blackman. Great opener we just need to be sure there will be enough under the visuals to sustain this one.

Time Before Time 4 continues to do the impressive trick of being all timey whimey but allowing you to follow it issue to issue pretty easy. A comic done very well.

ooooohhh 6 Sidekicks of Trigger Nation 3 is soooo close to book of the haul. Funny, sharp and a heap of fun. Its no wonder Kyle Starks ranks alongside Mark Russell as a creator I pretty much by anything I see by.

In the end though book of the Haul goes to another Black Hammer comic. Damn Jeff Lemire is doing stunning things with his universe. It might have been spin off comic Black Hammer Visions 7 that got it by Cecil Castelluci and Melissa Duffy (who they???) which plays really well in the GMozz limbo from Animal Man turf, but in the end it has to go to The Unblievable Unteens 1. Another blinding opener to another spin off series - that again in some ways plays in GMozz turf with a creator of a comic book discovering they might have more to do with the series than just being the person who writes and draws it. Just fantastic.

So yeah spot on haul... the big question is will my 'Modify' save... I think I've been to long...

Colin YNWA

FCBD Special

Got a few comics from FCBD events. A bunch for the boy child - the girl child has become a bit resistant to comics at the moment so I'm not pushing it - and a few for myself. So a quick mini haul review.

My nerd shop tooked a few comics away for me thinking I wasn't going to make it (including allowing me a spare of the JD one). This included the 'big' Marvel number Avengers 'also featuring' Hulk... it was ... well I don't read many Marvel comics these days and these strike me as comics driven by concept not character - from the snipets I got. So nothing to see here for me*.

World of Zorro seriously why did the designer think that crossing through 'World of' wouldn't make it look like it was crossed out? I mean minor point but...ANYWAY more importantly at what point do you think the way to make new Zorro stories is to throw in some demon types. Bloody rubbish. If you can find a tale to tell woth Zorro for all the rich social commentry his setting, status and history open up you just ain't trying... and they ain't they're throwing in zombie type things. Rubbish!

Red Room by the brilliant Ed Piskor was an ugly comic. Its meant to be exploring the Dark Web and the hidden horrors there in. The trouble is its still an ugly read and didn't give me enough to want to read more.

We Live - The Last Days by The Miranda Brothers on the other hand really did. Great concept of kids scrabbling to find one of 5000 bracelets mysteriously scattered across the global - with a promise to saw the 5000 kids who get them from a dying world. Inaki - who has drawn for Tharg does a stunning job on art again.

The big surprise of the mini-haul was 'The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Comics'. I mean its that - a cheeky way to 'advise' on how to collect comics as a commodity while unsubtly selling the classic pricing tome. The thing is it was really rather a fun way to do it and I couldn't help being charmed by this utterly pointless comic. Loved it!

*On a side note the news today that Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is coming back gave me reason to remember that even as I move away, even the big two have the power to surprise, delight and excite me!

CalHab

Kang the Conqueror #1. I picked this up on a whim, I don't think I've read anything else by the creators. This is surprisingly fun, fairly daft of course, but hangs together well and tells a good story in a single issue (I think this is a miniseries). I think I'll hang around to see how this one goes.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 August, 2021, 09:04:41 PM

Book of the Haul though, well Grendel Devil's odyssey 8 of course. A fascinating way to end Prime's quest and the reason it book of the haul - well the fact it ends so well and at the same time beckons in more to come with the next series of 3, 4 issues minis announced. And damn does it look like a fantastic premise to build into.

The finale was a bit of a let down for me.
Did I miss the comment / explanation that the 'Federation' emissaries appeared to be human?

Only new comic I read in the past few weeks was King Spawn 1, which left zero impression on me.

Seeing tumbleweeds on my ComicHub app at the moment.