Main Menu

Jake Lynch or Mike McMahon - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 17

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 May, 2021, 06:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So into the second half now - the back 16 if you will and Classic Team aren't messin' about. They intend to hit the second half hard. And it doesn't get much better than Classic Tourney semi-finalists Mike McMahon. I mean is there an artist who's produced more iconic Dredd images? And that's before we consider his Slaine?

Poor Ol' Jack Lynch has the unenviable task of facing off against this titan. We shouldn't feel to sorry for him as Jake Lynch is an artist who has forged an incredible style and power to his art. I'll not lie and say I won't be surprised if he makes much of an impression here BUT that is not for lack of talent.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Jake Lynch - more info

OR

Mick McMahon - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Friday 28th May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

Jake 3: Mick 2

Jake's art has improved tremendously over the last few years whereas Mick's had digressed. Mick's best work for me was always his run on Slaine not such a big fan of his Dredd work.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Jake has created some hugely iconic Dredd images. But what a body of work from Mick to be up against - Uncle Ump, Block Mania, Sky Chariots, Howler...

Jake Lynch 1, Mick McMahon 4.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

Unfair!  It had to happen to someone, I'm just sorry it was Lynch, probably the brightest star in the up-and-coming sub-category, an artist whose every page is better than the one before in a terrifying tsunami of quality.

But against McMahon, resistance is futile.

Mick 4 - 1 Jake.

Magnetica

Jake Lynch is one of Tharg's most improved artists; I can see a bit McMahon and a bit of Henry Flint in his work. The highest praise I can give him is I didn't miss Flint at all on the latest series of Proteus Vex.

McMahon is a difficult artist to assess for me. I wasn't really a fan when I started reading 2000AD, but that more because I was more in the Bolland and Ron Smith camps. I came to appreciate his early Dredd later on. It took me a while to get his Slaine; now they are some of my favourite episodes but I still prefer Fabry and Belardinelli.

I don't like the styles he has used for the last 30 odd years. At all. It's just not for me.

But then when I consider the iconic Dredd images, the iconic covers - the Platinum Horde as well as Dredd- then there can only be one winner:

Lynch 1 : 4 McMahon

Tomwe

Jake's a proper solid pair of boots in the current droid lineup but there can only be one original big foot.

Jake Lynch - 1

Mick McMahon - 4

AlexF

Kind of hilarious to have a draw between a past master and one of his most overt disciples. Lynch's work is its own thing now but in the early days he was a solid McMahon/Kennedy enthusiast. Mind, he's very good at it and I do love his elongated figurework. Even after someone on these boards pointed out that he's not much of one for filling in background detail, I find his layouts so pleasing that it doesn't bother me.

Still not quite at the McMahon level though is he...

McMahon 4, Lynch 1

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm going to call this a 3-2 win for McMahon. Slaine and those early Dredds means Mick is unbeatable (unless up against the obvious), but Jake Lynch has developed so much over the years, he has become- along with Flint, D'Israeli, Culbard and Mark Harrison, a top-tier artist of the modern prog. So it was closer than it would have been otherwise. But in the end, yes, Mick.

SBT

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

paddykafka

DrJomster

I'm going with Mick 3, Jake 2.

Mick's early work is super iconic. (Is that a phrase? I think it is... well it is now!)

But Jake's done some very, very solid work too. His Dredd brings the awesome.

So there we go, 3:2.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

rogue69

Rogue Judge

JayzusB.Christ

Jake is an excellent artist.  But man, he's up against McMahon, and McMahon did Sky Chariots and early Block Mania.  Also he clearly inspired Jake Lynch.  Sorry, Jake, you got a raw deal in this draw but...

McMahon 4, Lynch 1.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"