Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well it informed me. That the Jenners haven't vanished up their collective arses after all.

Theblazeuk

Still yet to see anything other than heads firmly in sand whenever this is brought up:

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Woolly on 09 February, 2017, 05:51:53 PM
Maybe the rest of the world should club together and build a wall around America?

As my uncle said: Mexico should pay for their wall, Canada should pay for one along the northern border, and then the rest of the world can chip in for a roof.

Also, a four day stag do bender ended with a big drunken sweary outburst here that resulted in a week ban. I'm fed up having to apologise for my drunk alter-ego
You may quote me on that.

GordonR

Quote from: Old Tankie on 13 February, 2017, 01:11:07 PM
Office for National Statistics.

God forbid you ever working out how to provide a link to back up your characteristically pithy statements...

Old Tankie

It's all on their website, all you have to do is look.

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm sure you all listened to the radio this morning and heard about how terribly our economy will do up to 2050. If not, here's one of those links that you all love and there are even links from this link, so just follow them and enjoy the doom for Britain. This bits from an opinion piece with the facts included, because if I linked up even the Guardian, now people don't believe it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/02/07/uk-to-be-fastest-growing-rich-economy-for-next-30-years-says-pwc/#2b8947ef7ceb

Obviously you can look for the bit about Brussels doing a U-Turn over our economy as well, 50% higher from their stats. Also the IMF and the Bank of England have a positive outlook on the economy. I won't bother with loads of links, just search for them yourselves, as you love the politics, so you must've seen this news.

Professor Bear

A 30 year forecast?  Sounds cast-iron legit to me.

M.I.K.

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 14 February, 2017, 07:03:01 PM
I'm sure you all listened to the radio this morning and heard about how terribly our economy will do up to 2050. If not, here's one of those links that you all love and there are even links from this link, so just follow them and enjoy the doom for Britain. This bits from an opinion piece with the facts included, because if I linked up even the Guardian, now people don't believe it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/02/07/uk-to-be-fastest-growing-rich-economy-for-next-30-years-says-pwc/#2b8947ef7ceb

Obviously you can look for the bit about Brussels doing a U-Turn over our economy as well, 50% higher from their stats. Also the IMF and the Bank of England have a positive outlook on the economy. I won't bother with loads of links, just search for them yourselves, as you love the politics, so you must've seen this news.

Strange that this is only being reported now, because if you click through to the report itself, you'll see that it's two years old.

M.I.K.

Ah... No it isn't. Forbes has posted a link to the wrong report.

Theblazeuk

I refer to my previous post.

Professor Bear

Quote from: M.I.K. on 14 February, 2017, 11:15:37 PMStrange that this is only being reported now, because if you click through to the report itself, you'll see that it's two years old.

That still means that it has 28 years of validity left in the tank.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't the scientists that make these economic forecasts do something about the 2008 crash since they had 30 years' notice about it happening?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 15 February, 2017, 10:36:00 AM
I refer to my previous post.
"The value of the pound cant possibley get any worse!"

Wanna bet?

TordelBack

I think we may be confusing economists with Hari Seldon, when in fact they are closer to Harry Styles, i.e. I've no idea why anyone listens to them voluntarily.

CalHab

Quote from: Old Tankie on 14 February, 2017, 06:48:29 PM
It's all on their website, all you have to do is look.

I don't see it.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/bulletins/grossdomesticproductpreliminaryestimate/octtodec2016

Quote from: ONSUK gross domestic product (GDP) was estimated to have increased by 0.6% during Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2016, the same rate of growth as in the previous 2 quarters.
Growth during Quarter 4 was dominated by services, with a strong contribution from consumer-focused industries such as retail sales and travel agency services.
Following falls in Quarter 3 (July to Sept) 2016, construction and production provided negligible positive contributions to GDP growth in Quarter 4 2016.
UK GDP was estimated to have increased by 2.0% during 2016, slowing slightly from 2.2% in 2015 and from 3.1% in 2014.
GDP per head was estimated to have increased by 0.4% during Quarter 4 2016 and by 1.3% during 2016.

That doesn't suggest an increase in the rate of growth. Which statistics are you referring to?

In any case, I would say it's far too early for the result of Brexit to be apparent in ONS statistics.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 February, 2017, 11:59:08 AM
I think we may be confusing economists with Hari Seldon, when in fact they are closer to Harry Styles, i.e. I've no idea why anyone listens to them voluntarily.

Although, of course, not quite as perfect for the role of Sláine.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"