Main Menu

The weekend thread (again)

Started by richerthanyou, 22 January, 2016, 08:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 06 February, 2016, 08:30:33 PM
.....but hey, if it works then all good.

Unfortunately, 2 rounds of maggot therapy hasn't worked as hoped and they are now preparing my dad for surgery on Wednesday to amputate (best case) his big toe and it's neighbour on his left foot or (worst case) his leg below the knee.

Shouldagonefortheleeches!!!!
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Mardroid

sheridan

Accompanied the missus (well, we're not married, but we live together) to a cycle shop where a bike she'd ordered was customised while we waited.  This is the first proper, full-featured bike she's ever ridden (previous one (Gnipper) was an old one on loan from a friend, bit rusty, only had ten gears - one before that (Little Whippet) was a folding bike which made her knees hurt and only had seven gears).  This one has 21 gears and she's found that she can actually ride up hills on it.  This one is called Hasufel, after the horse from Lord of the Rings which Judge Dredd loans to Aragorn.

amines2058

Well I have had a weekend of highs and lows. Started well on Friday night going to watch Wales beat France and having multiple beers and a tidy steak dinner to boot!
Saturday involved me going shopping and buying a lovely bottle of wine, which then proceeded to fall through a very poor quality carrier bag and onto my foot before shattering. I now have purple stained jeans and what I believe is a broken toe, as toe is double size, deep purple and rather painful. I did get a replacement bottle of wine though free of charge!!
I am in work today till 12, then an afternoon of sketching and drawing is planned for a project I am currently working on.  :)

Mardroid

Get that toe checked. Don't do what I did, after a fall couple of years back. Nothing. My injury didn't seem bad at all. A week after hurting my hand, I could lift things, no problem, so I figured it was just bruised. So how come 2 years on my wrist still aches on occasion? Not a bad injury obviously, but there was probably a bit more damage than I thought.

Sheridan, I love that your missus names her bikes.

This weekend, I didn't do much in the morning apart from line up/relocate some model ships in my Star Trek Eaglemoss collection to accommodate the Enterprise B that recently arrived, along with a klingon raptor*

I spent much of the afternoon in Bromley doing a spot of shopping in physical shop (my older sweatshirts are getting a bit tight. Yes I need to lose a bit. Middle age catching up on me.) and online catching some cut price deals at 2000Ad shop.

I then spent hours in Starbucks and later the pub on my laptop paring down a short story I wrote for the Jan/Feb competition on this very forum.  I managed to get it down to around 515 words. I think it loses some foreshadowing and turn of phrase and some comedy elements but the snipping down process was still kinda fun. I have the longer version which  I might put on a blog after the competition, after a bit of editting.

I left pub around 11:30 pm. I only had 2 pints in all that time. My head was in the task at hand for a large portion of that evening. Thinking about it, I must have been in that pub for over four hours! Dear me. Hope the staff don't hate me.

Today, I've done little apart from having a nice breakfast. This afternoon, I have an overdue opticians appointment. Then i will likely meet a friend in a neighbouring district and do a task for him and have a chat/coffee.

*STAR TREK SHIP MODEL COLLECTION WAFFLE ALERT SO SKIP IF YOU'RE UNINTERESTED:

Cool thing is, the Enterprise B model is not just a replica of the Exelsior with the name and  NCC number changed. It is of course very similar being the same class ship but the saucer section is slightly larger and there are other subtle differences. There is some bleeding of the paint on the text on the saucer section, but it's a really nice model.

I am not collecting all the ships by the way. I've decided to confine myself to the main series ships, all the Enterprises (with the possible exception of the future one, (was it NCC-1701-J?) that appeared in an episode of Enterprise where archer has a quick jaunt into the future. That's if it comes out. I probably won't get the ISS Enterprise from the dark parallel universe either, but I might change my mind about that.) and the Klingon and Romulan vessels. So I'm nearly complete. I just need the Enterpise C and E (on order, but currently out of stock) the Defiant and that Romulan warbird that featured in Nemesis. And possibly the larger Abrams film enterprise model. I might skip the small klingon D4 ship. (I wonder why they supervised that one?) It's a lovely model but it doesnt look klingon to me.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 February, 2016, 02:26:14 PM
Sheridan, I love that your missus names her bikes.
I also name mine - current one is Rhaegal, previous one was Ruby, through a convoluted naming process involving the previous owner having taken a red bike and painting it black.

This weekend, I didn't do much in the morning apart from line up/relocate some model ships in my Star Trek Eaglemoss collection to accommodate the Enterprise B that recently arrived, along with a klingon raptor*

*STAR TREK SHIP MODEL COLLECTION WAFFLE ALERT SO SKIP IF YOU'RE UNINTERESTED:

Cool thing is, the Enterprise B model is not just a replica of the Exelsior with the name and  NCC number changed. It is of course very similar being the same class ship but the saucer section is slightly larger and there are other subtle differences. There is some bleeding of the paint on the text on the saucer section, but it's a really nice model.

I am not collecting all the ships by the way. I've decided to confine myself to the main series ships, all the Enterprises (with the possible exception of the future one, (was it NCC-1701-J?) that appeared in an episode of Enterprise where archer has a quick jaunt into the future. That's if it comes out. I probably won't get the ISS Enterprise from the dark parallel universe either, but I might change my mind about that.) and the Klingon and Romulan vessels. So I'm nearly complete. I just need the Enterpise C and E (on order, but currently out of stock) the Defiant and that Romulan warbird that featured in Nemesis. And possibly the larger Abrams film enterprise model. I might skip the small klingon D4 ship. (I wonder why they supervised that one?) It's a lovely model but it doesnt look klingon to me.
No idea whether it's Eaglemoss or not, but a friend of mine was selling Star Trek models recently.  He's due to be at a local BnB that I'll be attending tomorrow, so I'll investigate (there's no way on earth I'm going to remember exactly what it is you're on the lookout for, but if I'm lucky I'll think to remember the name Eaglemoss).  Both friend and BnB are in North London.

Mardroid

Thanks Sheridan. Much appreciated.

If he is selling the Defiant that would be cool. Preferably with the magazine, but if he isn't selling that i'll source that separately elsewhere. (Lots of mags on eBay...)

Dandontdare

I'm off to That London in the morning for a couple of nights.

I'll be doing my usual trek round the big galleries and the British Museum, a few drinks around Camden, and I've got a ticket to a show I've wanted to see since 1979, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds! (Hologram Liam Neeson replaces hologram Richard Burton, David Essex is back and Jimmy Nail takes the preacher role. Oh and there's a Sugarbabe in there too somewhere).

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 March, 2016, 09:11:11 PM...I've got a ticket to a show I've wanted to see since 1979, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds! (Hologram Liam Neeson replaces hologram Richard Burton, David Essex is back and Jimmy Nail takes the preacher role. Oh and there's a Sugarbabe in there too somewhere).

Haven't seen the new one, but the Burton hologram version was a terrific show.  We got Jennifer Ellison when we went, but a Sugababe sounds good (although it doesn't really narrow things down that much). Enjoy!

For myself, work, work and more work, and in the boring bits continue my quest to learn C++.  Right now I'm sozzled on the universal prophylactic of cheap plonk while celebrating finding a 17th C well, so all is good.

Dark Jimbo

Board game weekend! Can't wait.
@jamesfeistdraws

richerthanyou

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Tjm86

ESTYN (Welsh version of OFSTED) in next week so major planning and admin shit weekend.  Especially seeing as we're still in special measures.  Plus the usual running kids around various activities and washing / ironing.

Break at some point to read and savour the tooth. 

Hey ho!

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 11 March, 2016, 11:11:26 PM
Right now I'm sozzled on the universal prophylactic of cheap plonk while celebrating finding a 17th C well, so all is good.
As in a well for drawing water?  I have a friend who is interested in historic wells.  May be misremembering, but I think he's written a book on the subject.

(edit) yep - quick google reveals he's written one book on holy wells and a number of pamphlets on wells by county.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tordelback on 11 March, 2016, 11:11:26 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 March, 2016, 09:11:11 PM...I've got a ticket to a show I've wanted to see since 1979, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds! (Hologram Liam Neeson replaces hologram Richard Burton, David Essex is back and Jimmy Nail takes the preacher role. Oh and there's a Sugarbabe in there too somewhere).

Haven't seen the new one, but the Burton hologram version was a terrific show.  We got Jennifer Ellison when we went, but a Sugababe sounds good (although it doesn't really narrow things down that much). Enjoy!

Well that was a very entertaining show. They'd added a couple of sub-standard songs, mainly to give the stars a chance to get involved beyond their own set-piece numbers. They were cheesy west-end musical type things - one near the beginning was about how lovely everything is (before it all goes to hell) and involved dozens of cute children holding candles.  :sick:

Michael "Robin Hood" Praed was good in the main role, as was Jimmy Nail's parson. Daniel Bedingfield (the artilleryman) could sing and dance but he's a truly awful actor - I was surprised Essex didn't come running across the stage to punch him in the head every time he monotoned through one of his classic lines. Essex himself was playing "the Voice of Humanity" (no, me neither) which means that he got to mime heroically in the crowd scenes and sing Thunderchild.

There were a couple of moments of unintended comedy - When the rubber alien rises slowly from the cylinder, I don't think it was supposed to elicit quite so many giggles; and moments after the Sugarbabe, playing the parson's wife, was killed, she reappeared flying across the stage on wires in ghostly whites to deliver one last "no, Nathaniel..."

I'm sure the band and orchestra are capable of playing all the songs adequately well and in the right order without Jeff "the super-ego" Wayne bouncing around on his little podium waving his arms around. I've never seen a performer milk the final bows so much, and the programme notes make him sounds like he invented modern music.

On the Sunday, I did the National Portrait gallery and the science museum (I did fancy the cosmonauts exhibition, but it cost quite a bit and there's plenty to see in the main exhibition). Followed up by a stuff-yer-face chinese buffet and bit of a Camden pub-crawl.

Hawkmumbler

Sounds like a cracking weekender, DDD. Wayne's WotW is on almost constant repeat at the local dive centre, me and Matt can't listen to it enough but neither of us have ever seen it live though we keep threatening to go.