Main Menu

FIRST LAWMASTER PIC FROM DREDD!

Started by Michaelvk, 21 January, 2011, 03:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

I can't believe anyone's sticking up for that.  It looks cheap.  It also looks like one of those bikes you'd see at a downmarket custom type show.  Dredd's bike should look expensive, BIG and he should look like he's sitting on a whacking great chopper with his hands further up in the air on higher handlebars.  He shouldn't look like he's riding a flippin scooter. 

First of all the uniform looks cheap and not much like the comics (apart from the helmet) and now this cheap looking bike.

I'm losing faith in this production fast. 

heisthelaw

It doesn't look too good compared to the Judge Minty version (seen on the left):

I'm sure it will look better within the context of a finished scene with the fast cut editing, lighting, CGI backdrop, music  but there's no doubt it has a bit of a slapdash look to it. Not sure how the Judge Minty production crew with limited budget can get it spot-on but a 45 million dollar budget film can't.   :-*

ABCwarBOT

Let's not make excuses for it......it looks rubbish.  Looks like they've got a fairly ordinary looking bike and stuck a big piece of painted wood on the front plus a gun or two.  That Minty one looks a million times better.  Are these film makers smoking crack or something?

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: heisthelaw on 22 January, 2011, 01:19:19 AM
It doesn't look too good compared to the Judge Minty version (seen on the left):

I'm sure it will look better within the context of a finished scene with the fast cut editing, lighting, CGI backdrop, music  but there's no doubt it has a bit of a slapdash look to it. Not sure how the Judge Minty production crew with limited budget can get it spot-on but a 45 million dollar budget film can't.   :-*

It is amazing isn't it.  Minty gets most things spot on (from what we've seen anyway) and yet a bunch of film makers with 45 million churn that out.  Pathetic!  I don't think any amount of cgi backdrops will make that look any better.  Both Dredd and the bike look like they should be in an amateur production.

minus

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 January, 2011, 01:22:15 AM
Let's not make excuses for it......it looks rubbish.  Looks like they've got a fairly ordinary looking bike and stuck a big piece of painted wood on the front plus a gun or two.  That Minty one looks a million times better.  Are these film makers smoking crack or something?
:lol: That made me laugh!! Yeah, anyone who knew nothing about Dredd would have a hard job guessing which one was the fan film comparing what we have seen of Minty with what we have seen of this. And I'm talking about the design decisions and the quality of the props etc. The more we see of this, the more the yaysayers will drop off.

JOE SOAP

One's a real bike the other isn't.

wadew1

Hey guys who worked on JUDGE MINTY that are constantly mentioning JUDGE MINTY in the DREDD movie thread: go post in the JUDGE MINTY thread about JUDGE MINTY.

Now I think I'm done typing the words JUDGE MINTY for the rest of my life.

lawgiver

I think some people involved with 'Dredd' should be held to account for coming up with stuff that is less faithful than a fan film!  ::) Just think how good 'Dredd' could look if the people involved with the Judge Minty fan film designed the lawmaster, uniform and other vehicles. It's sad to see the potential of Dredd - even if it's just the visual look of Dredd - being compromised. I don't think the lawmaster looks terrible but it's obvious it's a bike with some box stuck on the front. Not much thought has gone into the design which is a pity.

On the potential plus side, the film is set in a block, the lawmaster hardly features in the storyline so in the grand scheme of things it's not a deal-breaker. But getting things right from the start would help.  :D

"One's a real bike the other isn't."

The guy working on the Judge Minty film is adamant they created a real bike that is identical to the comic version. He mentions this on Comicmovie site:

"for idiots that may think the picture i posted was of a cgi bike... WRONG... the bike is as real as it gets and was driven during the film too."

ABCwarBOT

I can't believe what I'm seeing.  To me it looks like they have a miniscule budget.  Next thing we'll see is Mega City made of toilet roll cardboard and sticky back plastic. 

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: minus on 22 January, 2011, 01:32:28 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 January, 2011, 01:22:15 AM
:lol: That made me laugh!! Yeah, anyone who knew nothing about Dredd would have a hard job guessing which one was the fan film comparing what we have seen of Minty with what we have seen of this. And I'm talking about the design decisions and the quality of the props etc. The more we see of this, the more the yaysayers will drop off.

Definitely!  There's no getting around it from those 2 pics side by side.  2 Dredd productions and the expensive one is with the guy wearing the biking boots (which were bought in the local bike shop) riding a Lambretta.

lawgiver

Quote"I can't believe what I'm seeing.  To me it looks like they have a miniscule budget.  Next thing we'll see is Mega City made of toilet roll cardboard and sticky back plastic. "

Well maybe this is why there's been no official photos. Cos they look so crappy!  :lol:

The leaked screenplay features loads of interior action. There's hardly any outside on the streets action. If the interior stuff is good the film can work. You only need a few establishing shots of the city to sell the scale of the city to the audience. Once inside Peach Trees Block it's much smaller scale. Of course Mega-City 1 blocks are meant to be huge so we may have to lower our expectations a tad.  Perhaps Peach Tree Block will look a tad smaller inside. Sort of a few small rooms and a measly corridor. That sort of 'epic' scale.  :lol:

minus

You wont even know they are toilet rolls once the CGI has been applied to them and it's in 3D!

lawgiver

I doubt this will be in 3D. Due to budget constRaints it's now being filmed in 2.5D.

:P

ABCwarBOT

The way this film is going it won't even be in 1D.  It'll either be straight to dvd or shown in about 2 arthouse cinema's.   

ABCwarBOT

And is it just me but look how dangerous it would be to ride that bike.  Those handlebars look like they're from a childs tricycle. 

The hands are so close together one false turn and that fat looking Dredd would be eating gravel.