Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

How about the Anderson angle bringing in Satan? Maybe with an army of Dune Sharks?  :lol:

Also chuckling at the thought of Jason Statham as Mean Machine  :D

Seriously though, can't see the apparent tone of the film lending itself too well to any of the more fantastical characters/stories. America though, or any of the more recent serious-tone Wagner, yes. Block Mania/Apocalypse War maybe, but that might seem a tad ambitious. 
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 10:55:10 PM
Quote from: darnmarr on 15 February, 2012, 10:05:56 PM
Imagination and understanding are indeed magical properties but sometimes things are so bound in their original medium that even with the best will in the world they cannot translate.

Stating things like that is more or less saying that excellent 'unfilmable book' adaptations like L.A. Confidential, Lord of the Rings and many others don't exist and that more good cinematic adaptations can't. It's not true.

Sorry Joe: I wasn't saying anything more or less of the kind. I just happen to think that the strength of some (not all) stories lies in the context of how they are imparted and America in particular happens to be one such story:  removing the narrative twist from that story would be like doing a version of the Usual Suspects where you never find out the identity of Keyser Söze... you could in theory tell the exact same series of events, but without the twist-in-the-tale, it does kind of lose the point a tad. No?

JOE SOAP

But you wouldn't need to remove the narrative twist.

darnmarr

Well I'm personally buggered if I can think of a way one might include it: what do you suggest?

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 11:53:48 PM
I missed out from that list cloning and teleportation. Every fantasy trope is in "City of the Damned". It's an enjoyable read don't get me wrong Andersonshame. You'd be hard put to find a story with all those different elements in it.

Quote from: Grimmyx22 on 15 February, 2012, 11:13:45 PM
Feel a prick starting a page like that. How about- "Why the judges exist anyway?" and how this relates to a Judge Dredd movie? Surely this is the crux of the matter to an uninitiated (paying) moviegoer?

I think this is the premise of the new film grimmy. It demonstrates the need for iron justice in a predatory dangerous city. As far as I know! Roll on September. When are we going to see some more pictures/film clips?

What are you on about. I did not once say that I would like to see City of the Damned up there on the big screen. I did say that would be overkill. My point is that if Dark judges or any one element from the comics that could be deemed out of the ordinary had to be done, it could be done in a way that would work believably. E.g the above mentioned unfilmable works of fiction. If you want to see all the crap from City of the Damned be my guest.

JOE SOAP

Well if it were to be played as is, structurally, and for simplicity's sake let's say it will be and dealing with just the basics: it starts with present-day Mega-City One, we see America getting ready to sing her song therefore we know she's alive in the present -this does not need to be stated with a voice-over- and the impetus to flash-back can be constructed dramatically with cues visually and/or using dialogue within the set-up scenes of the story. The story can still flash-back to tell the tale as per source with the characters growing-up, splitting apart etc. and at the end we discover she's actually dead and it's Beeny in her body so the question is: why can it not be told? They're both visual story mediums.

Grimmyx22

I for one dont think city of the damned would work on screen, or any of the prog-centric stories for that matter, i think the central idea of why the world needs judges in the first place would be the place to visit, and has always been the most engaging element of Dredd for myself. Dredd needs to be justified if he is to be presented as anything other than just another anti-hero. That has always been the strength of the comic, and right or wrong this is where the heart of the entire concept lies. "In a world... " just dont cut it for me. Lets have a proper exploration of why Dredd exists. Because he does, metaphorically and literally he represents something, lets try to find out what that is and if it means anything to us. Much more satifying than Judge Death dont yo think?

IndigoPrime

Here's my hope for a second Dredd film storyline, if the first is successful: a new, original script not heavily based on anything from the comic, yet retaining the general feel of Dredd. That's it.

darnmarr

Joe I apologise for harping on, it's probably just a personal strait-jacketed way of thinking: but that story, to me, is all about the voice that tells it, anyhoo: Goodnight folks and here's to new footage or pics or something on the morrow.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 16 February, 2012, 01:02:18 AM
Joe I apologise for harping on, it's probably just a personal strait-jacketed way of thinking: but that story, to me, is all about the voice that tells it

To me that story is not just the voice and that's why it can be done differently yet still retain that story.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 February, 2012, 12:58:23 AM
Here's my hope for a second Dredd film storyline, if the first is successful: a new, original script not heavily based on anything from the comic, yet retaining the general feel of Dredd. That's it.

Tell Alex Garland: No Death.

Grimmyx22

To Alex Garland- no anything, get your thinking cap on.
Thoroughly approve of whats revealed so far.
Long live the new Dredd.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: darnmarr on 15 February, 2012, 09:53:51 AM
Beaky Smoooch you'll find it here:  http://ecbt2000ad.libsyn.com/webpage/page/3   
It's Podcast number 51 and it's about 2 hrs long.

Cheers dude :thumbsup:...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 February, 2012, 12:58:23 AM

I wholeheartedly second that motion your hon'r, but didn't Andrew McDonald, one of Dredd's producers, say that Alex Garland already has a couple of ideas for potential sequels, and considering Anderson's inclusion in the new adaptation, plus the fact a character in the online leaked script draft (if it's still in the final film) [spoiler]has a Judge Death tattoo[/spoiler], thereby possibly setting up an appearance in a later instalment, not to mention Alex Garland's original concept of Dredd being a face-off with Mr D'eath esq, I think the chances are good that ol' boney face will take on ol' stoney face in a Dredd sequel (whether we would rather it not so or otherwise)... if we get one, that is, fingers crossed!

Oh, just one last thought before I go, when deciding upon a storyline for a Dredd movie adaptation, you have to boil the whole JD saga down to it's essential elements, what is Judge Dredd exactly?  For my part, Judge Dredd is Dirty Harry in Fritz Lang's Metropolis, once you have that foundation laid down, you can use it as a springboard for possible storylines; an uncompromising law enforcer in a vast, sprawling, and insanely crime-plagued futuristic megalopolis, take it away guys!

Quote from: Grimmyx22 on 16 February, 2012, 01:15:00 AM
To Alex Garland- no anything, get your thinking cap on.
Thoroughly approve of whats revealed so far.
Long live the new Dredd.

Amen to that and goodnight gracie :wave:.
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Danbo

Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2012, 05:20:32 PM
QuoteThey would have to commit 100% and not wimp out,play it straight,dark,full on horror with the dimension hopping.

I don't agree. Look at Ras Al Ghul in the Batman comics vs Batman Begins. In the comics he's very camp-looking and immortal - in the film a suave and effective villain, and is done without a hint of the supernatural.

Shows that a character can very successfully be toned down to suit a grittier, more realistic tone.
Thats what I meant by playing him straight....as if real.
  Would still prefer Fink though.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.