Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

Is there any kind of definitive list saying which non-UK territories the film will be distributed to, specifically countries that tend to dub imported movies? I know you can find this stuff on IMDB but as the rumour goes it's edited by 14-year-olds.

Bubba Zebill

As I said elsewhere...here's a classic image of Dredd and a white van (below). The white van, the cheapness....It's nothing to worry about, as long as the essence of the thing is respected. It's when they shit all over it, that's when it stinks. Somebody believed in it in '95...but somewhere on the way to market they destroyed any point in making a film. Bad or good, nothing can undermine or change the best of these pages. There is a default idea that all media moves toward film, it's rubbish. Film is not on a higher plateau. I'm content knowing my favourite books cannot be filmed.

And there's a reason so many comics are filmed now, many of the people who make comics care in the way that small film-makers care, writers care. They are not industries, they are artists. So we live in a time where comics have emerged as (often times) intellectually superior to film (many, not all). Hollywood is mining that now for all it can. So get the popcorn and watch their pantomime and hope it's entertaining, I'm sure it will be...but it can't detract from those great set-ups in the source material. Never.

Kurt Vonnegut has a scene in Galapagos that he says, as he is describing it, Hollywood could never film, in one line...he slays mainstream films ability to tell an unusual story, as he tells that story.
Wise man that KV.

WHITE VAN DREDD
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=147455&gsub=18998
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

darnmarr

Quote from: BOODA on 29 May, 2012, 11:36:17 AM
... There is a default idea that all media moves toward film, it's rubbish...
*Stands up and applauds*

IndigoPrime

Quote from: BOODA on 29 May, 2012, 11:36:17 AMas long as the essence of the thing is respected
Quite. It just needs to feel like Dredd for the movie to work. It doesn't have to be a Sin City-style slavish recreation. Still, I guess we'll all see it soon enough.

Michaelvk

...It just occurred to me that by Christmas next year it'll be in the bargain bins at asda..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

blackmocco

Y'know, you bump into random people and then suddenly you're discussing the Dredd trailer. Funny how the world works.

Can't say anything other than the trailer's coming soon. It's being worked on very carefully and they're actually testing it before they release it out to the world.

There's a huge effort to balance it between Dredd fans and a general public who neither know nor care what kind of history Dredd has. The general mood seems to be it simply HAS to appeal to a wider audience if it's going to do well. A big concern about it being compared to the previous movie.

Can't say anymore except the chap has seen the finished movie and really liked it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

dracula1

Quote from: Michaelvk on 29 May, 2012, 06:26:29 PM
...It just occurred to me that by Christmas next year it'll be in the bargain bins at asda..

If they don't bloody pull their finger out that well maybe the case. At least us die hards get a second look at a reasonable price ££  ::)

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Michaelvk on 29 May, 2012, 06:26:29 PM

South Africa has Asda?
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 May, 2012, 01:54:24 PM
It doesn't have to be a Sin City-style slavish recreation. Still, I guess we'll all see it soon enough.

I hope it's nothing like Sin City. The visuals completely took over and distracted - I think there was a stripper and a man in a car. With a hat.
Quote from: blackmocco on 29 May, 2012, 06:40:52 PM
Y'know, you bump into random people and then suddenly you're discussing the Dredd trailer. Funny how the world works.

Can't say anything other than the trailer's coming soon.......
Can't say anymore except the chap has seen the finished movie and really liked it.

How do you know this random person is legit? There are some mean, mean, meanies out there that pretend to be in the know and just wind you up.

If legit though - coming soon coming soon coming soon - yay! :)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BOODA on 29 May, 2012, 11:36:17 AM
Hollywood is mining that now for all it can. So get the popcorn and watch their pantomime and hope it's entertaining, I'm sure it will be...but it can't detract from those great set-ups in the source material. Never.

Both Wanted and Kick-Ass were better as films than they were as comics.

I don't see comics or films to be mutually exclusive; comics always took inspiration from film & TV and vice versa. The early years of Action & 2000AD saw plenty TV & film characters repurposed for a young audience.

I think Marvel characters really only live through their movies now since their respective comics have been prostituted and rebooted to death. If anything I'd say there's a proportionally equal amount of shite in both comics & films, with the smarter, more substantial stuff polpulating the margins of both crafts.

blackmocco

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 29 May, 2012, 07:02:22 PM

How do you know this random person is legit? There are some mean, mean, meanies out there that pretend to be in the know and just wind you up.

If legit though - coming soon coming soon coming soon - yay! :)

It's legit. Can't say how I know. Don't want to get anyone into trouble.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

radiator

QuoteIf they don't bloody pull their finger out that well maybe the case. At least us die hards get a second look at a reasonable price ££

Hey, pretty much all films end up in the bargain bin about a year after release these days, don't they?

dracula1

Thats the truth, ... but whatever the result of this film as a fan i'm backing it all the way. This will equal at least two sittings at ur local IMAX and the bluray directors cut! :-)

Goaty

Quote from: dracula1 on 29 May, 2012, 07:37:31 PM
Thats the truth, ... but whatever the result of this film as a fan i'm backing it all the way. This will equal at least two sittings at ur local IMAX and the bluray directors cut! :-)

Can't bloody wait :-)

Also District 9 is on C4 this Sunday :-)

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: dracula1 on 29 May, 2012, 07:37:31 PM

Solidarity Grudbrother! With our all the way.  I may even invest in a 3D Tv just so I can watch any 3D Blu-Ray release!

Michaelvk

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 29 May, 2012, 07:02:22 PM
South Africa has Asda?

No.. But there's a few dotted around Cardiff..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..