Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

I honestly think that Dredd is going to turn out to be a sleeper hit and Judging by most of the comments I'm seeing elsewhere, people are saying things like ' I guess I like the trailer but I still don't know what to think'.
I translate this as:

'Holy F*ck! that trailer was the shit! (meaning good), I just thought I'd come hear to make a stupid comment about Stallone's the only real Dredd and LAAAAAAAWWW, and this new Remake will suck monkey Balls, But that trailer was so damn good it has me scared and confused. This  isn't The Dark Knight or the Avengers so  I'm afraid of what my fellow Nolan Wheden disciples will say if I do anything but pretend I don't like it.'

Btw, I've seen The Raid and loved it, but its definitely not the Alpha and Omega of all Action movies out there, and in my opinion, to use my adopted phrase of the day, Dredd will SHIT ALL OVER IT!

JOE SOAP

Most people opting for Dredd at the cinema will never have seen the Raid.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 21 June, 2012, 09:10:08 PM
Just had a brilliant laugh. Two Mormons came to the door and I had an interesting chat with them for over 10 minutes about God and the world. At the end, to their amazement I invited them in but to watch the trailer  :lol:

Spread the word folks, God is now on our side  ;)

That's Hilarious!

'You've shown me your god, Now meet mine'

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 June, 2012, 01:59:01 AM
But some will at least have heard of it:
There's a reason for the adaptation (rebootage/ rehash-ige/prequel/sequel) obsession of today's celluliod output (in comparison to other eras) and it is nothing to do with a lack of originality on behalf of film-makers and has everything to do with a lack of adventurousness on behalf of audiences.

The classic pitch of any new idea has always been to put it in terms of something that's come before "It's like Jaws-meets-starwars " e.t.c.

The 'echo'of something being known,or heard of,  tends to trump the truly raw new thing:'Raid' comparisons may be no bad thing at all.

Dash Decent

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 21 June, 2012, 05:33:23 PM

And, Skateboarding still exists.... :o

Is that big yellow robot face painted on the ramp (extreme right) meant to be Hammerstein?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Syne

Quote from: darnmarr on 22 June, 2012, 02:21:10 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 June, 2012, 01:59:01 AM
But some will at least have heard of it:
There's a reason for the adaptation (rebootage/ rehash-ige/prequel/sequel) obsession of today's celluliod output (in comparison to other eras) and it is nothing to do with a lack of originality on behalf of film-makers and has everything to do with a lack of adventurousness on behalf of audiences.

The classic pitch of any new idea has always been to put it in terms of something that's come before "It's like Jaws-meets-starwars " e.t.c.

The 'echo'of something being known,or heard of,  tends to trump the truly raw new thing:'Raid' comparisons may be no bad thing at all.

Interesting point. Also reassuring, thanks!

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 21 June, 2012, 09:10:08 PM
Just had a brilliant laugh. Two Mormons came to the door and I had an interesting chat with them for over 10 minutes about God and the world. At the end, to their amazement I invited them in but to watch the trailer  :lol:
Spread the word folks, God is now on our side  ;)

Any of 'em called Mitt, perchance :D?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

COMMANDO FORCES

One was Romanian who sounded American. He learnt English through American teachers and the other was Egyptian but he never said much. I do love a polite debate and I was very polite!

The ending of the fun for me went like this.

CF Hang on a sec lads, its 20:45, I have to get ready for work but let me show you what I believe in.
Mormons Thank you.
CF Just watch this trailer, its the World Premier today of Dredd. Have you heard of Judge Dredd?
Mormons No!
CF Well watch this then!
STUNNED SILENCE
CF  :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that is how the Law of the world should be implemented. Death to all law breakers. I'm sure God would agree with that ;)

I then shuffled them out with a massive grin on my face and a look of bemusement on theirs.
A few pleasantries followed and we said goodbye.

I closed the door and the missus was stood in the kitchen shaking her head and then she said "what are you like!"

JOB DONE  :D

Beaky Smoochies

"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Frank

Quote from: Syne on 22 June, 2012, 01:56:21 AM
I'd bet money that a lot of the people making The Raid comparisons haven't actually seen The Raid: they've seen a trailer, maybe, or read a plot synopsis, or just seen someone else making the same comparison. Hater's gotta hate, but they need ammunition sometimes.

I hope you're right about it proving to be an advantage. This is the first time I've ever followed a trailer's release so closely, so I have no idea how such negativity translates into box office returns.

Me too. Films are magic and they just appear at the pictures, as far as I'm concerned. Following the development of this film has been an eye-opener for me- not least because it's taken me into places like Aint it Cool; places I'd never before visited, and- after September- will never ever go near again.

It's scary how those little fucks live this pish, and seem to enjoy this incredibly dull process more than actually watching the (mostly dull) films they're all obsessing over.

Diminished Responsibility

Good Morning!

So are people shocked at the amount of trolls that turned up yesterday?

I am pretty shocked at the the dozens of rebuttals to obviously snarky comments in places like imdb though. Trolls can't argue with themselves ;)

Also got to remember that many will be too young to see this movie, I think that could be a factor too.

On a plus note, the trailer has 3000 odd likes and 200 odd dislikes, not as unpopular as the haters would have you believe.
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

Syne

Quote from: Diminished Responsibility on 22 June, 2012, 07:33:54 AM

I am pretty shocked at the the dozens of rebuttals to obviously snarky comments in places like imdb though. Trolls can't argue with themselves ;)

Most of my responses (none on imdb, btw) were more for the benefit of any third party who happened to be reading than for the original poster. 

The Adventurer

Quote from: Syne on 22 June, 2012, 01:56:21 AM
I'd bet money that a lot of the people making The Raid comparisons haven't actually seen The Raid: they've seen a trailer, maybe, or read a plot synopsis, or just seen someone else making the same comparison. Hater's gotta hate, but they need ammunition sometimes.

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 22 June, 2012, 01:56:40 AM
I honestly think that Dredd is going to turn out to be a sleeper hit and Judging by most of the comments I'm seeing elsewhere, people are saying things like ' I guess I like the trailer but I still don't know what to think'.
I translate this as:

'Holy F*ck! that trailer was the shit! (meaning good), I just thought I'd come hear to make a stupid comment about Stallone's the only real Dredd and LAAAAAAAWWW, and this new Remake will suck monkey Balls, But that trailer was so damn good it has me scared and confused. This  isn't The Dark Knight or the Avengers so  I'm afraid of what my fellow Nolan Wheden disciples will say if I do anything but pretend I don't like it.'

Btw, I've seen The Raid and loved it, but its definitely not the Alpha and Omega of all Action movies out there, and in my opinion, to use my adopted phrase of the day, Dredd will SHIT ALL OVER IT!

Dismissing your critics as morons/liars/sheep isn't a good way of proving your point of view. In fact it just makes you look like an irrational fan who refuses to see any argument but their own as valid.

The Raid got good buzz, and was a bit of a sleeper hit in the sort of circles that are going to be watching Dredd in cinemas. I would NOT be dismissing their observations just because it annoys you. And I ESPECIALLY would not assume they are excited about this Trailer as most of us are and are just hidding their excited me due to some kind of herd mentality.

That's a completely mental assumption with no basis on anything real.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

radiator

Hopefully all those who complained about the lack of marketing this far will eat their words now. Lionsgate have found a slow movie news week in a VERY busy summer for genre movies and got far more attention for an underdog, low budget movie than I would have thought possible.

The trailer seems to have been broadly quite well recieved, and I'm delighted to hear extremely positive buzz from the test screening the other night.

There seems a tangible possibility that Dredd could be a modest sleeper hit we've all been hoping for...

Syne

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 June, 2012, 08:31:33 AM
Dismissing your critics as morons/liars/sheep isn't a good way of proving your point of view. In fact it just makes you look like an irrational fan who refuses to see any argument but their own as valid.

I agree with this as a general principle, but this:

The Raid got good buzz, and was a bit of a sleeper hit in the sort of circles that are going to be watching Dredd in cinemas. I would NOT be dismissing their observations just because it annoys you.

misses the point in that the 'observation' that "Dredd is a ripoff of The Raid" is at best facile (it has coincidental similarities. so what?) and at worst malicious (it's clearly not plagarism). Try and make them see the error of their ways, sure, but lets not pretend they're offering some kind of profound critical insight.

And I ESPECIALLY would not assume they are excited about this Trailer as most of us are and are just hidding their excited me due to some kind of herd mentality.

That's a completely mental assumption with no basis on anything real.

Tend to agree with you there.