Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: blackmocco on 06 July, 2012, 03:56:52 PM
General movie-going public has no idea who PKD is, Booda ....Arnie's version was fun. This just looks leaden and pointless.

...I guess that's true, so no Valis anytime soon then. Arnie's version was fun, but I feel the Mars city interiors were very dated quickly. I'm not sure how that's avoided but.

Who am I kidding?... It just comes down to numbers as Joe Soap said.

First ten minutes of JD was good, the cityscape in daylight was a welcome relief ...the wall, I too liked Hammerstien and Mean....ok, confession time.
I feel, deep down, terribly guilty, that I somehow 'manifested' that film at a pals birthday in 82, we watched First-Blood and when Stallone escapes the police station, I said 'he'd make a good Dredd'.
I know, boo-hoo, sob, it was all my fault..been bandaging the stigmata since 95.

Mea culpa....But you know, no big fan of Stallone, but if he'd played it more of a punk-ass and less the erect codpiece it might have been very much better. But that story was terrible.

It's funny to me how many think Clancy Brown would be right. I thought that after Shawshank Redemption, had to look him up and had no idea he was in Highlander. He'd play a particular kind of Dredd very well.
But for the young Whitey era Dredd, Urban is a perfect cast.

The way KU underplays 'I am the law' is superb...what a wise choice as an actor.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Bubba Zebill

..oh and Ian Dury, great that he was there!...'hit me with your day stick'...too bad that didn't get said.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 07 July, 2012, 04:06:14 AM
Quote from: Goaty on 06 July, 2012, 10:17:37 PM
I got to say, I like the opening of 1995 Judge Dredd but hate the film!

The first twenty minutes (up until the end of the Block War sequence) was magnificent; epic and action-packed... after that, it fell off the cliff straight into the abyss, and it was bye bye from there on in...

Really? I thought it fell straight into the abyss right from Stallones immortal opening line "I em... the Ler!", a rendition which is mercilessly mocked and lambasted throughout all of internetland - and rightly so.

The irony is that Stallone insisted on taking the helmet off in order to be recognised, when in fact this was completely unnecessary. It was obviously Stallone in the Dredd costume right from the first few seconds of his appearance, and couldn't possibly have been mistaken for anyone else. Even before he took the helmet off he was projecting his persona (not Dredd's) right through it in any case.

Now I have nothing against Stallone, after all most of the roles he plays in other movies are not preexisting characters from other media, so he's able to define these characters with his performances. Dredd, on the other hand, was already defined as a comic book character. This rather cheapened Stallone's performance in this case because he was not able to define Dredd. The best he could manage was to do a bad impression of him. In my opinion, a really bad impression.

Steve DGenerate

Best movie Stallone has ever been in is "Copland" (with possibly "Deathrace 2000" as runner up?).

JamesC

Nah, the Rocky films and Tango & Cash are all better than Copland!

Beaky Smoochies

Copland: The Director's Cut ?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

shaolin_monkey

I've always wondered the best way to type Stallone's utterance.  I usually go with 'Uh Um Du Loh!'

HunterZolomon

Quote from: pops1983 on 06 July, 2012, 10:16:26 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 July, 2012, 10:07:58 PM
Quote from: HunterZolomon on 06 July, 2012, 10:02:24 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 July, 2012, 08:19:09 PM
There is a god

No there isn't!  :'(

Total Recall 1990
Budget   $60 Million
Box office   $261 Million

Judge Dredd 1995
Budget   $90 million
Box office   $113 million

I'm happy with those figure, you must like Stallone.
You say that like it's a bad thing, there's nothing wrong with Stallone, apart from his barely intelligible voice and his dodgy acting, but regardless, the man has made some pretty good Big Dumb Action Movies. Dredd was not one of them, unfortunately.

Do I? Or are you just interpreting my post in the least favorable light? I merely wished to point out how much I wished those numbers had been switched, that the 95 Dredd had been good.

Some of Arnie's old films are still spectacular, the first Terminator especially. Total Recall however is not one of them.

HunterZolomon

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 07 July, 2012, 07:25:48 AM

Really? I thought it fell straight into the abyss right from Stallones immortal opening line "I em... the Ler!", a rendition which is mercilessly mocked and lambasted throughout all of internetland - and rightly so.

The thing that I first objected to is his self-satisfied smirk as he gets off the Lawmaster in the very first shot of his face. It's like he says "Hey, it's me! Don't I look awesome in this costume."

JOE SOAP

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 07 July, 2012, 11:15:17 AM

Do I? Or are you just interpreting my post in the least favorable light? I merely wished to point out how much I wished those numbers had been switched, that the 95 Dredd had been good.

You're not thinking about the consequences of that wish. If Stallone issue #'95 had been successful we'd have been subjected to yet more bad Stallone films posing as Dredd simply because their way of doing it would be proven as correct in their minds and we wouldn't be getting the more genuine and authentic Dredd we're getting now, so yes, it's a good thing Stallone issue #'95 was a flop.

Danbo

Is that Q+A panel at that London Comic con with Urban and co today?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

karlurbaninternational

@Danbo: Yup.
Saturday: 5.00pm-5.45pm (UK time)
Sunday: 5.00pm-5.45pm (UK time)

Danbo

Cool,might get some goss.
Anyone going?

Danbo

argh edit button please....

Anyone going.Would love for someone to ask about merchandise, if we will get any deluxe collectibles.

karlurbaninternational

Not going ... :( but every words and pics and details are appreciated :)