Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

So, watched it in the cinema again this evening.
By grud, this is a good movie. I'd forgotten how much I liked it.
Blah blah blah, Urban's good etc. But really the bottom line is that it's a great action movie. Not an art house movie. An action movie.
But, things I spotted this time: two Goaties, Grant Block and Tome Frame Block.
Best bit: the guy behind me and to the right almost curling up in a ball as we got to the bit where [spoiler]Mama hits the floor.[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

Goaty

Goaty

Oh my... It's image of my avatar!

JOE SOAP

Goaty

Awesome, thanks Mr Soap.
Can't believe they did it in my avatar!

Michaelvk

Took my dad to see it tonight, probably the last week it's showing, and he couldn't understand why it didn't do well.. Commenting on the good cast, asking about how they did bits etc.. Stayed until our names went by, laughed at the right bits, asking about what MC1 is all about.. Was very cool, and glad he could come (despite my having to practically drag him there..)  :D
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 November, 2012, 12:17:49 AM
Took my dad to see it tonight, probably the last week it's showing, and he couldn't understand why it didn't do well.. Commenting on the good cast, asking about how they did bits etc.. Stayed until our names went by, laughed at the right bits, asking about what MC1 is all about.. Was very cool, and glad he could come (despite my having to practically drag him there..)  :D

Glad you got your Dad to see it.  Mine had a great interest in seeing it, but his eyesight can't cope with 3D, and he couldn't find a 2D showing in Cheltenham. 

It's a shame, 'cos he took a real interest in everything I read as a child, including 2000AD, so almost grew up with Dredd alongside me.  Being a historian of America, he was particularly interested in the 'America of the Future' vibe, and although he considered many stories in 2000AD as frivolous entertainment, he quite liked the 'Democracy Now' stuff and of course 'America'.  I really think he would have enjoyed the film a great deal, and I'm a bit gutted he couldn't get to a 2D showing to see it.

Ah well, I'll be buying him the DVD when it's released anyway.

Spikes

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 November, 2012, 11:19:42 PM
But, things I spotted this time: two Goaties

Wasnt there three in total?

MattJW

Which cinemas in the UK are still showing it then?!

Michaelvk

Quote from: MattJW on 13 November, 2012, 10:40:50 PM
Which cinemas in the UK are still showing it then?!

No idea.. Was in Amsterdam..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

MR. ELIMINATOR

Has anyone been following the new Arnie film "The Last Stand"'s facebook page? Lionsgate are doing the promotion to that too, and the process seems exactly the same to Dredd. It's really strange they seem to think they have this cut and paste formula that they can use on everything, instead of trying different things for different films.

(This is in regards to the recent talk of the promotion btw)

I am currently screening 'Silent Hill: Revelations 3D' at my cinema, and to be honest, I think a lot of people would have seen Dredd as one of those kind of films. Low budget, quick fix action with bad acting. Like the Resident Evil films as well. That's the way it looks to have been sold anyway.

PreacherCain

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-list-of-the-years-biggest-flops-is-here-and-it,88801/

Dredd is the third biggest flop of the year. Ouch.

Funny that after the media free-for-all done on John Carter that it's not even in the top ten. The way some folk went after that film, you'd think there was some personal vendetta against the studio/filmmakers.

By the way that list is calculated by box office relative to budget, as opposed to single biggest loss of money (for obvious reasons!)

radiator

Pretty sure Dredd took more than $28m, but still... Ouch.