Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 04:28:26 PMA film doesn't have to have a complex plot with a big pay off at the end to be good. In fact, very few films manage to pull that off, even the Nolan Batman films, which I think are a little bit too pretentious and bloated because of the "need" to be epic.

Why does everyone always talk about the Batman films when discussing Christopher Nolan? I mean, what was that other film he did with a complex plot with a big pay off at the end? Oh yeah, Inception!

Or are we strictly talking about comic book movies?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 November, 2012, 07:16:47 PMYou have to remember that Dredd's uniform is for practical use and not some crappy fashion parade
Quite. This was an action movie, and a bunch of the stuff Dredd had to do wouldn't be possible with the massive shoulder pads (which, note, Stallone ditched as soon as possible). As I've noted on this forum before, I also find it odd anyone would consider the Stallone Dredd closer to the comic design than the newer movie, in terms of the uniform. The new one primarily deviates in adding extra armour, removing the badge chain and toning down the shoulder pads, making them akin to the original Dredds in the 1970s. The Stallone one messes with the helmet, chops off the eagle's body, tail and legs, adds a buckle between the shoulder pads, removes the elbow pads entirely, recolours and blings up the boots/kneepads, makes the main uniform out of lycra, and then adds a massive codpiece. Neither's perfect, but even in context Stallone looked ridiculous—Urban didn't.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 07:00:55 PM
We shall never agree on this. I think movie dredd looks ridiculous; as if an escapee from the blue oyster bar has gone to a fancy dress party as comics' judge dredd. It's the juxtaposition of rufty tufty riot cop (which in itself looks stupidly pretend-macho and camp) and clashing helmet. It reminds me of one of those transformers that has the head of spider-man or batman.

Having seen judge minty the proper comics costume works fine. Absolutely fine. With a bit of work on the leather bodysuit (seams? Ha!) it would look fabulous. If Thor, Spidey, Captain America (and even i spent the avengers waiting for them to point out how stupid-looking cap was) and the green lantern (!) can get screen outings where they look like they should without some twenty-something know it all trying to do better and redesign them, then dredd should be afforded the same decency. But the look of the uniform was, for me, the least of the movie's problems.

Yet you said the film-uniform looked great in the comic prequel.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 September, 2012, 09:08:35 PMWasn't keen on the movie prelude- this is what I mean when I voice my fear of what the strip is to become. That said, it may be time to tinker with the uniform a bit and bring it a little into line with the movie version. If, that is, the film's a success. if not, keep it exactly how it is! The movie uniform looks great in comic form. But to be honest, there's no reason why we can't have some strips drawn like that and others like we know him already- there should never be a "correct" way to draw the judge uniform. That way lies boring boring arguments about links in chains, stripes on respirators and number of pouches on belts. Artists should always be free to experiment, I reckon. Continuity fascists should be locked away where they can do no harm. But no thanks- didn't like that strip at all.

So the comic version looks great on the page and on-screen in Minty but the Dredd film version can't?

Rusty

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 27 November, 2012, 07:31:28 PM
Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 04:28:26 PMA film doesn't have to have a complex plot with a big pay off at the end to be good. In fact, very few films manage to pull that off, even the Nolan Batman films, which I think are a little bit too pretentious and bloated because of the "need" to be epic.

Why does everyone always talk about the Batman films when discussing Christopher Nolan? I mean, what was that other film he did with a complex plot with a big pay off at the end? Oh yeah, Inception!

Inception complex? No.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 07:34:19 PM

Inception complex? No.

Bollocks! But seen as not everyone was impressed with the Dredd then each to his own I geuss.

Rusty

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 07:00:55 PM
We shall never agree on this. I think movie dredd looks ridiculous; as if an escapee from the blue oyster bar has gone to a fancy dress party as comics' judge dredd. It's the juxtaposition of rufty tufty riot cop (which in itself looks stupidly pretend-macho and camp) and clashing helmet. It reminds me of one of those transformers that has the head of spider-man or batman.

Having seen judge minty the proper comics costume works fine. Absolutely fine. With a bit of work on the leather bodysuit (seams? Ha!) it would look fabulous. If Thor, Spidey, Captain America (and even i spent the avengers waiting for them to point out how stupid-looking cap was) and the green lantern (!) can get screen outings where they look like they should without some twenty-something know it all trying to do better and redesign them, then dredd should be afforded the same decency. But the look of the uniform was, for me, the least of the movie's problems.

SBT
The Minty outfits work because they have them set against the backdrop of the more fantastic looking cityscapes seen in the comic. If you were to take those buildings in the comic and actually try to make them real, then they'd fail every health and safety regulation going. They just aren't plausible structures that would stand in the real world. Same goes for the outfit. Dredd's outfit in the film is plausible. Sure it may have some garish design elements to it, but nothing that makes it overly ridiculous. It looks like it actually has a function to it rather than trying to look cool and over the top.

Does that look ridiculous and "Blue Oyster Bar" also? That's a real outfit, but it's not a million miles away from Dredd's.

Rusty

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 27 November, 2012, 07:39:23 PM
Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 07:34:19 PM

Inception complex? No.

Bollocks! But seen as not everyone was impressed with the Dredd then each to his own I geuss.
Inception was not a complex film at all. It was about a man who had trouble dealing with the death of his wife, wrapped around the concept of infiltrating people's dreams in order to plant a seed or an idea. Do you mean it was complex in trying to grasp the levels of the dream within a dream? You'd have to be some kind of idiot to get lost there.

COMMANDO FORCES

That looks more like a riot cop who has to stand his ground against the masses. Dredd is more an assault rig and therefore is much more flexible!

Rusty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 November, 2012, 07:42:36 PM
That looks more like a riot cop who has to stand his ground against the masses. Dredd is more an assault rig and therefore is much more flexible!
True, but I suppose Dredd's uniform would have to conform to both. You can't have chains and big pointy eagle things sticking out. I mean, you could put a citizen's eye out by accident.

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm comparing to the movie and not the comic.

Rusty

Yep, as was I. I was just using the comic's as a reference in the differences.

SmallBlueThing

I think joe, what i said was IF the movie was a success, then perhaps they should alter the uniform to look more like the movie one, and that it looked great on the printed page. No one ended up seeing the film, so the balance is still weighted in favour of more people knowing dredd from the comics, so it doesnt matter. Besides, i was being nice to the prequel strip as i couldnt find much else to say about it that wouldnt seem as if i was just being overly critical for the sake of it.
And again besides, people can change their minds. Just because i express an opinion today it does not follow that i may still hold that opinion next week. Sometimes i feel that gets forgotten when discussing shizzle online.

In the end, none of it matters. It's done now. I share alex wossname's view that the future of live action dredd lies on tv- either that, or as a series of low budget made for netflix/ syfy channel movies. Personally, i'd be happy to see that. I didnt like the movie, but i would absolutely support (cont)

Richmond Clements

QuoteIt was about a man who had trouble dealing with the death of his wife

And that's not complex?
I mean, you could say Hamlet was 'Emo might kill uncle', but is is more complex than that...

COMMANDO FORCES

Goaty