Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teivion

Talked about this last night.
Its probably cheaper to remake the costumes than store them all......

The costumes were used in a massive heatwave in SA, I doubt they survived very well ( stinky)

leather ,as above, doesnt store well anyway.

JOE SOAP

Or just a good way to make some money back.

Richmond Clements

QuoteTalked about this last night.

I was wondering if this was the case.

judda fett

Just saw a trailer for Wreck It Ralph. A line used in the trailer is "Ready rookie?" It seemed a bit Dredd. I have no idea what the film is about or if indeed it was a nod to Dredd but surely this tenuous link if indeed it is a link is proof positive that a sequel has been greenlit.

Frank

Quote from: judda fett on 26 January, 2013, 07:46:12 PM
Just saw a trailer for Wreck It Ralph. A line used in the trailer is "Ready rookie?" It seemed a bit Dredd. I have no idea what the film is about or if indeed it was a nod to Dredd but surely this tenuous link if indeed it is a link is proof positive that a sequel has been greenlit.

Ralph makes clear his loyalty to Ma-Ma too. They must have copied this from The Raid.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 January, 2013, 02:00:04 PM
QuoteTalked about this last night.

I was wondering if this was the case.

Yeah.. Considering the time between movies the originals may not be in the best of condition.. We had some Starship trooper helmets when we did ST3 (yes.. I know.. They can't all be gems..) and they were looking rather dismal from storage. Besides, if they do another, they'll take the opportunity to improve upon the previous design. Make sure it's more user friendly and less prone to breaking.. Personally I'd put a different holster on (one that has retention, as opposed to the NO! We'll use this one! that ultimately ended up on the costume...), but that's just me..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Bubba Zebill

Finally saw it Friday. On the whole, a brilliant thing. Incredibly generous to fans. The key scenes for me were Anderson reading 'Avon Barksdale's' mind in the elevator and elsewhere, some superb stuff there. The Judges gone bad were awesome. Dredd was played perfectly and was surprisingly identical to early progs. My only downer was the death penalty, that was a big fail for me. Dredd is often described as a 'Judge, Jury and Executioner' in the press...though he seems to have that power, it is almost never handed out as a judgement. The same ends could have been met by the perp making a move. Bullying Anderson into shooting a prisoner...that's not the Dredd I read.

As a fan I'd give it a pass...but if I were a judge, this Dredd would be doing 20 on Titan.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

dracula1

It's a film, it doesn't have the time or scope to cover all the nuances of the Dredd character in the comic. The film needs to show him dispensing instant justice and it worked fine in the film (summing up Dredds loyality to the Law to the letter).

Bat King

And there certainly jabbed been death penalties handed out by Dredd over the years. Minor foul, play on.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

thelawgiver

Logically without reading too much on here or on t'internet I would have assumed that they were selling alot of props and such from the film in order to compensate for lower takings in sales of tickets and DVDs. Therefore adding to the pot for a potential sequel.
I'm more likely to believe the above than the theory that they are selling everything off because the film was a 'failure'.

I believe Dredd has perfectly set the tone for a sequel to be made. It had potential for a better film, you wanted to learn more about the expanded universe, the designs for the judges outfits weapons and mega city FX were spot on.

I'd say the closest comparison I would make if I was in charge of selling a sequel would be with the mad Max franchise - a massively popular cult franchise with a sequel in the can - the first film made on a shoe string budget and the sequels not direct sequels - with aspects reimagined - but sequels none the less. I'd say a sequel to Dredd would be a reimagining in a way in the fact it would hopefully have a bigger budget. Aspects of the cityscape would be further explored in CGI and we could be shown an expanded Law centre of Mega City 1 and Hall of Justice. The lawmaster would be reimagined to fit the comics more - this would perfectly fit The Cursed Earth arc as they were given new bikes that the judge department had just made fresh off of the production line so they could be more successful in their mercy mission across the Cursed Earth. Some have said the Judge outfits were too bulky - I have to say I thought for a filmic treatment they were perfect - I would make the eagle more pronounced though, maybe more gold.

Basically - there may not be a sequel. But there should be! If I win the lottery I'm investing a million or so haha 
Twitter = @snarlsbukowski

Bat King

The comic version of the Lawmaster would  be better suited to the Cursed Earth than street patrol.

If I had my way comic style uniform would be ceremonial uniform in a sequel.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Rusty

Quote from: Bat King on 27 January, 2013, 02:49:53 PM

If I had my way comic style uniform would be ceremonial uniform in a sequel.
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe even just the head judges. Would be a nice little nod to the comic.

PreacherCain

Quote from: thelawgiver on 27 January, 2013, 02:36:46 PM
I'd say the closest comparison I would make if I was in charge of selling a sequel would be with the mad Max franchise - a massively popular cult franchise with a sequel in the can - the first film made on a shoe string budget and the sequels not direct sequels - with aspects reimagined - but sequels none the less.

Yeah but the first Mad Max made money. It was a box office success, relative to its budget.

Bat King

Following some of the odd things I have read about Slo-mo - really, it would make you a better driver???

http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/what-is-slo-mo-light-dredd-spoilers/
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Fisticuffs

Slo-mo wouldn't slow time literally, it'd speed up your brain functions so that you percieved time as slower. There must be some inhibiting part of it's concoction that screws with your brain at the same time as it speeds it up, as otherwise Slo-mo would be an incredible thing, allowing super-fast thinking compared to those around you. Far from being a hindrance, a Slo-mo user would actually have an advantage in a firefight.

Lucky Ma-ma didn't manage to refine the mix I guess, otherwise the Justice Department would be proper screwed. :D