Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: BOODA on 19 February, 2013, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: Teivion on 19 February, 2013, 07:23:38 PM
Feel daft that its taken me this long to realise - those early external shots we all saw online were the inside set of Peach Trees.... :-[

I always thought the internal shots of Dredd and Anderson in the lower floor atrium were shot on the Green Screen set used for the various levels

...but no they were all shot outside at an external location.
Doh !

...so even more kudos for the photography, lighting and genius of the film crew.

It's one of the scenes I really liked, as they first enter PT. Shooting by day...then a night shot for the 'interior'. YT has a bunch of stuff on how the brilliant fx team built up the inside of PT, I didn't post it as it seems to be from the DVD...and has no doubt been posted here loads already.

Yeah... that fooled me as well. 

I thought the Peach Trees interior/plaza/atrium/whatever was shot on a massive soundstage/set, and looked a bit 'unreal', so when Alex Garland challenged me to find a fault with the film (because up to that point I had been incredibly positive) I said that was the only flaw I could see.  He corrected me, by pointing out it was shot at a very specific real location in SA, as you say, both by day and by night.  D'oh! 

So my only critiscism was shot down in flames, and also exploded my mind about what I perceive and what actual IS.

Goaty

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 February, 2013, 10:44:50 AM
Feel daft that its taken me this long to realise - those early external shots we all saw online were the inside set of Peach Trees.... :-[

I always thought the internal shots of Dredd and Anderson in the lower floor atrium were shot on the Green Screen set used for the various levels

Doh !

...so even more kudos for the photography, lighting and genius of the film crew.

It's one of the scenes I really liked, as they first enter PT. Shooting by day...then a night shot for the 'interior'. YT has a bunch of stuff on how the brilliant fx team built up the inside of PT, I didn't post it as it seems to be from the DVD...and has no doubt been posted here loads already.

I thought the Peach Trees interior/plaza/atrium/whatever was shot on a massive soundstage/set, and looked a bit 'unreal', so when Alex Garland challenged me to find a fault with the film (because up to that point I had been incredibly positive) I said that was the only flaw I could see.  He corrected me, by pointing out it was shot at a very specific real location in SA, as you say, both by day and by night.  D'oh! 

So my only critiscism was shot down in flames, and also exploded my mind about what I perceive and what actual IS.

Did MichealVK post the photo of that few months ago??

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 February, 2013, 10:44:50 AM

Doh !

I could be wrong but it looked to me like the interior ground floor of PT was also the ext of PT as he walks out, but in daylight and redressed. Same with the exterior front of THOJ. Liked they walked in to the very space each time we see them moving 'between' those spaces. If I'm right they walk in and out of the very same square, only in each case it is redressed, in daylight, and or with matte and animation added. Think of the economy of that!...and it looked great. BTW...Dredd's non-reaction to  the tramp being squashed by the blast doors was, for me, hilarious. A key moment for me.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BOODA on 20 February, 2013, 12:00:18 PM
I could be wrong but it looked to me like the interior ground floor of PT was also the ext of PT as he walks out, but in daylight and redressed.

It was.

Same with the exterior front of THOJ.

They were the gates of Cape Town Stadium.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 February, 2013, 02:28:15 PM

I could be wrong but it looked to me like the interior ground floor of PT was also the ext of PT as he walks out, but in daylight and redressed.

It was.

Same with the exterior front of THOJ.

They were the gates of Cape Town Stadium.

Cool, thanks...hmm. That's odd, I had a slight interest in sport there for a second. Gone now.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Stan

It seems Judge Dredd is on 5 USA next Tuesday. Hoozah!

Apestrife

Quote from: Emp on 09 February, 2013, 01:52:14 AM
Being drunk and bored i decided to trawl through Youtube for reviews of Dredd and generally all are good apat from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEg4SsHVkE , now everyone is entitled to an opinion but a least one of these people has know idea of the idea of Dredd.......that sais i am interested in the idea of "the big lie".....instead of the DJ'S is any future movie going to be based on "a question of judgement"?

The guy in the middle with glasses... Every office has one of those. Just talking crap. For example saying that the "hero" never gets hit...

Love the talk the other guy and lady have. They really seem to get it. Her saying that Dredd doesn't need a character arc, since that's more interesting for the side characters, is spot on what I think.

junox

just found a cool  dredd3d database online guns etc  DREDD 3d WIKI
--------
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Dredd_%282012%29

mididoctors

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 February, 2013, 08:02:11 AM
Quote from: Emp on 09 February, 2013, 01:52:14 AM
Being drunk and bored i decided to trawl through Youtube for reviews of Dredd and generally all are good apat from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEg4SsHVkE , now everyone is entitled to an opinion but a least one of these people has know idea of the idea of Dredd.......that sais i am interested in the idea of "the big lie".....instead of the DJ'S is any future movie going to be based on "a question of judgement"?

The guy in the middle with glasses... Every office has one of those. Just talking crap. For example saying that the "hero" never gets hit...

Love the talk the other guy and lady have. They really seem to get it. Her saying that Dredd doesn't need a character arc, since that's more interesting for the side characters, is spot on what I think.

I think DREDDS character development in the comic only makes sense in how he deviates slowly from the stern lawman. 2000ad spent yrs refining him as a plot anchor as opposed to a character...most comic characters are fixed, DREDD in particular. everything happens around him

what made a question of judgement so good was the sudden change in his character was played against the investigation of the formative forces for his original character. In that short story were the essential elements of origins and democracy story arcs...we saw back and forwards in time.

As far as the movie was concerned the inability for viewers not versed in DREDD lore to "not get it" could be labeled as a flaw but most of us see it as a good thing..2000ad fanbois(gals) are not the majority but then who was the film made for? People will get DREDD in time

the ending is fantastic..I laughed when he said "drug bust" and the CJ didn't seem overly bothered either. It was brilliantly played. As a new viewer this may have seemed an odd coda but really if the reviewers can't put the pieces together?

Effectively the whole drama has the rug pulled out from underneath at the end  as thou "it ain't no thing". There was little room for character development in DREDD (maybe a little in relation to how he saw anderson) because the whole day out for him was as banal as brushing his teeth. The conversation between the CJ and DREDD explains what DREDD is about. His character and meaning to the mega city verse is revealed at the end... as is Anderson's bewildered and admiring gaze at DREDD as he tends her wound in the elevator... Its as thou she looks at him thinking a million thoughts including  "you do this shit everyday!"

Where as this was Anderson's baptism of fire and she does change and as does DREDD'S opinion of her. I thought they told this story well with numerous little touches. Besides the obvious "you don't look ready" changing to "you look ready" the moment that stands out to me is when the pair are advancing in Ma Ma's den at the end in a leapfrog overwatch fashion and DREDD taps anderson on the shoulder in a way that conveys a sense of comradeship and trust beyond its use as a tactical signal.....

Beadle68

Just been thinking about the not getting a sequel thing again(I know, I here you all groaning) but it seems to me that the film has definitely changed peoples perception of Dredd especially now the blu ray has come out and has sold well.I have been seeing on various web site's, mags and even friends who was not interested in the slightest about it now wanting a sequel and wished they had got there arses into the cinema to see it in all its 3D glory(one such tit who shall remain nameless even went so far as to tell people not to waste there money on the dvd only to watch it under duress from his partner and is now actively campaigning on web sites for others to see it.he thinks its the best action movie he's seen in years.TWAT). It must be close to recouping its budget back and with all the rave reviews and better awareness , surely a sequel is not too much of a gamble now as I'm sure more people would actually go to see one.Any thoughts or figures as to what its actually made anyone ?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: mididoctors on 21 February, 2013, 01:36:35 PM
As far as the movie was concerned the inability for viewers not versed in DREDD lore to "not get it" could be labeled as a flaw but most of us see it as a good thing..2000ad fanbois(gals) are not the majority but then who was the film made for? People will get DREDD in time.

I think this is a bit of a myth, to be honest, and generally comes across as fan-snobbishness towards the public at large.

If you read the written reviews on international Amazon sites, those where the film is available, the majority of the hundreds of reviews, which is a very high count for a film that flopped, are 4 stars and over, plus a 78%/765% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.1 on IMDB and total universal acclaim from audience/viewers on Metacritic.

By the looks of it, the average audience didn't have a hard time understanding the character at all, just like they'd no problem with Snake Plisken, Dirty Harry, the Man with No Name and RoboCop. The problem was getting them to bother to watch the film in the first place to see if they'd like it.

darnmarr

Apropo of nothing:
Dredd gets shot through a wall, with an armour-piercing round, in the back; his magic-healing fleshy-foamy stuff with the staples is only applied to his exit-wound, so shouldn't he have another, nastier wound in his back with bits of tile and plaster-dust in it?

Apologies if this has been brought up before.

(also, while I was typing this Joe Soap made a comment that I 100% agree with).

JOE SOAP

The exit-wound is where most of the damage is done. Also time-saving editing cut round him sealing up the hole in his back with his tube of riot-foam. He did it during the close-up on his face, honest.

blackmocco

Quote from: Beadle68 on 22 February, 2013, 12:10:26 AM
Just been thinking about the not getting a sequel thing again(I know, I here you all groaning) but it seems to me that the film has definitely changed peoples perception of Dredd especially now the blu ray has come out and has sold well.I have been seeing on various web site's, mags and even friends who was not interested in the slightest about it now wanting a sequel and wished they had got there arses into the cinema to see it in all its 3D glory(one such tit who shall remain nameless even went so far as to tell people not to waste there money on the dvd only to watch it under duress from his partner and is now actively campaigning on web sites for others to see it.he thinks its the best action movie he's seen in years.TWAT). It must be close to recouping its budget back and with all the rave reviews and better awareness , surely a sequel is not too much of a gamble now as I'm sure more people would actually go to see one.Any thoughts or figures as to what its actually made anyone ?

It was pretty maddening to read aintitcool's most recent Dredd related forum where almost everyone in there offered regret for not going to see it. One poster said buying the Blu-Ray was the best blind buy he'd ever done. Such a fucking shame.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Stan

Yeah, it's not always best for the bullet to leave its new home but I did wonder about all the crap that must've lodged in the entry wound. He should probably get that seen to at some point.

And seeing as he was pretty spritely for a man who'd just taken a bullet through two sheets of armour he could probably walk back to the Hall of Justice himself.