Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 April, 2013, 06:07:04 PM
And one my son pointed out to me: Dredd couldn't "execute Kay on 99%"... but when Anderson does her mind thing on him in the school room, there can be no doubt of his guilt, so why did they not execute him then?

Why can there be "no doubt of his guilt"? - There's no difference between her vision of him skinning the victim or her vision of the slo-mo factory - It's useful intelligence, but Dredd won't execute on the basis of a vison as there was still that 1% chance she was wrong. He still plans on taking him back for more traditional interrogation.

darnmarr

Also, if Anderson doesn't have the equivalent of a photographic memory (after being in his head just once,)- wont they need him for detailed questioning as a source of further arrests?

Steve Green

Still need to apply existing laws rather than make them up on the hoof based on what Mystic Cass says.

darnmarr

Anybody wonder what the miniguns were used for normally? It's a serious bit of kit to have lying around on the off-chance you might need it rip through a building (almost all the way through it's nuke proof exterior).

radiator

QuoteWhy can there be "no doubt of his guilt"? - There's no difference between her vision of him skinning the victim or her vision of the slo-mo factory - It's useful intelligence, but Dredd won't execute on the basis of a vison as there was still that 1% chance she was wrong. He still plans on taking him back for more traditional interrogation.

Yeah, he'd have detailed information that could bring down not just Mama, but many affiliates, corrupt judges etc. They know they need to take him alive by that point. By the end of the film it's all academic anyway as the Mama Clan has been taken apart.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: darnmarr on 10 April, 2013, 06:19:26 PM
Anybody wonder what the miniguns were used for normally? It's a serious bit of kit to have lying around on the off-chance you might need it rip through a building (almost all the way through it's nuke proof exterior).
Gang crime. She's the top dog in her secter, if anyone will have them, she will.

radiator

QuoteAnybody wonder what the miniguns were used for normally? It's a serious bit of kit to have lying around on the off-chance you might need it rip through a building (almost all the way through it's nuke proof exterior).

They could potentially have had an establishing scene of Mama getting the techie to hack into the guns (some sort of automated defence system linked to the security lockdown perhaps). Maybe something a bit oblique as to not ruin the surprise - as with the "Call 911" line.

The bigger plothole for me was how was Mama going to explain all that death and destruction once the smoke cleared. Guess we just have to assume that no one would have testified against her as she rules the block through fear.

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 10 April, 2013, 06:27:39 PM
as with the "Call 911" line.

That just reminded me - it's the one line in the film that I really disliked, as it makes it sound too contemporary - 'call the judges', or 'call Justice dept' would have worked just as well.

radiator

She could have been being deliberately retro!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: radiator on 10 April, 2013, 06:32:01 PM
She could have been being deliberately retro!
"I don't need the cops, I don't need no miniguns! I'm guuna killa ya!"

darnmarr

If they're part of the block's defences- (like the blast doors are part of the block's defences) then they're a very different type of defence than the blast doors are, I mean, I can imagine all the city blocks having the 4-minute warning shut-down magic shutters, but guns like those are for a whole different attack scenario.
And if they're just some sort of status-weapon for the 'Queen pin' of slo-mo then they're a bit big, a bit mad, and a bit unweildy and a bit impossible-to-hide-and-more-incriminating-than-it's worth for that job too.

COMMANDO FORCES

They don't get many Judges round her block and if she did have a report going in on her I'm sure the corrupt Judges would see her okay, simples!

darnmarr

But if they're never used then that seems like impractical hassle,- and if they are ever used what are they used for?

COMMANDO FORCES

darnmarr

:lol: but there'd be no point in Trident if nobody knows you have it.