Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

It was reported recently that Garland has been tapped to write and direct a trilogy(?) of films (adapting a successful series of novels) for Universal, so it's fair to say he's well and truly moved on.

Steve Green

This springs to mind for some reason.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 January, 2015, 01:07:37 PM
Ask Jim Cameron for another Piranha film.

With Kelly Brook!  In 3D!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 13 January, 2015, 02:38:36 PM
It was reported recently that Garland has been tapped to write and direct a trilogy(?) of films (adapting a successful series of novels) for Universal, so it's fair to say he's well and truly moved on.

And 28 Months Later is back on the cards.

IndigoPrime

I hope it's better than 28 Weeks, which wasn't a patch on 28 Days.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 January, 2015, 06:05:13 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 13 January, 2015, 01:07:37 PM
Ask Jim Cameron for another Piranha film.

With Kelly Brook!  In 3D!

In the nip as well. Sadly there's a massive sleaziness to the whole venture that makes it unwatchable.  More than four or five times.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Stan

I kind've enjoyed the first one for what it was but I knew the second would annoy me, regardless of Hasselhoff. Better to leave the memory untainted.

radiator

Apparently Dredd will be disappearing from Netflix US on Feb 23rd - so watch it while you can!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movies-expiring-netflix-february-764699?source=gravity

Jim_Campbell

Alex Garland got through an entire interview about Ex Machina  this afternoon without mentioning Dredd.

Nurse... record the time. :-(

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Zenith 666

It's Not too bad.We finally got the movie we wanted and that Dredd deserved.A movie that did him some long overdue justice.So what if nobody watched in cinema(I did twice)or it's box office was appalling.we got the movie we always wanted and Urban was amazing job done and I'll start paying Mr garland back tomorrow by watching Ex Machina.Then I'll go home and watch Dredd again because it fucking rocks.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 January, 2015, 10:56:31 PM
Alex Garland got through an entire interview about Ex Machina  this afternoon without mentioning Dredd.

I was going to mention that! He was powerfully realist as well - very interesting perspectives. The guy ain't no fool.

radiator

Yep, much like John Wagner, he just comes across as very level-headed and totally devoid of bullshit.

I can't remember exactly what was said when I got to chat him at the Dredd screening*, but I remember that he was very complimentary of the poster I did, and very sincere about it.

Top bloke.

*Annoyingly, he was just about to tell me what it was about my posts regarding the film that meant that I ended up getting a namecheck in it, but then he got cut off mid-sentence by someone else. Always wished I'd heard the end of that sentence.

IndigoPrime

I never thought we'd get another Dredd movie, ever. Stallone's awfulness would forever stain the character. But we got one of the most ambitious British indies you're ever likely to see, with the spirit of the comic on the big screen. The writing was tight; the design was smart; the movie was, amazingly, unsanitised. That it didn't immediately gel, primarily with a US audience, is a pity, but it eventually did. This movie isn't being remembered as a box-office flop, but more a case of "Dredd failed at the box-office, but..." Call it a cult film/finding its audience at home. Whatever, the film has become a success, albeit not financially.

As Garland said, that means in the long-term, another Dredd might even be viable for someone else to take on, because the brand has been destinked. More importantly and immediately, it means Dredd in and of itself is now a more interesting prospect. I've no idea about sales figures and the like, but I'd hope there's been an uptick in Dredd interest (and, through the halo effect, 2000 AD) outside of the UK because of this movie. At the absolute worst, it can't have done any harm.

Also, the team smartly gave us a finite story. Dredd didn't end on a cliffhanger. I'm sure everyone would have liked to have seen more (the result of a good movie), but you didn't have to, in order to get a full story. You get arcs for Anderson and Dredd, insight into MC-1, and some little nuggets of 'blink and you'll miss them' future-shock and satire, all rolled into one.

TordelBack

Spaceghost

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 January, 2015, 09:43:01 AM
I never thought we'd get another Dredd movie, ever. Stallone's awfulness would forever stain the character. But we got one of the most ambitious British indies you're ever likely to see, with the spirit of the comic on the big screen. The writing was tight; the design was smart; the movie was, amazingly, unsanitised. That it didn't immediately gel, primarily with a US audience, is a pity, but it eventually did. This movie isn't being remembered as a box-office flop, but more a case of "Dredd failed at the box-office, but..." Call it a cult film/finding its audience at home. Whatever, the film has become a success, albeit not financially.

As Garland said, that means in the long-term, another Dredd might even be viable for someone else to take on, because the brand has been destinked. More importantly and immediately, it means Dredd in and of itself is now a more interesting prospect. I've no idea about sales figures and the like, but I'd hope there's been an uptick in Dredd interest (and, through the halo effect, 2000 AD) outside of the UK because of this movie. At the absolute worst, it can't have done any harm.

Also, the team smartly gave us a finite story. Dredd didn't end on a cliffhanger. I'm sure everyone would have liked to have seen more (the result of a good movie), but you didn't have to, in order to get a full story. You get arcs for Anderson and Dredd, insight into MC-1, and some little nuggets of 'blink and you'll miss them' future-shock and satire, all rolled into one.

I agree 100% with everything you say. It's just such a shame that we have those insights from Alex Garland about what would have been in any sequels to forever tease the edge of our imagination, and the fact that DREDD seems very much like an introduction to a world and characters that have so much untapped potential.

I hope, a few years down the line, someone else has a crack at making a Dredd film and it takes it's cues from the last one, but I'll always feel slightly cheated out of a continuation of the fantastic interpretation that Garland and Urban gave us.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...