Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

This may have been posted...but, looks like you can count Jon Stewart a fan...'my favourite Judge since Dredd...'  http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/jon-stewart-roasts-southerners-clinging-to-their-archaic-symbol-of-racist-insurrection/
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Dandontdare

My Zbox arrived! The Dredd badge alone is worth more than the £19.99 price (the only reason I bought it!), so everything else is just gravy:

So, in addition to the badge (in a nice bag with a groovy little plastic stand for it), it had:

:-* 1894 Thought Police T-shirt (nice!)
:-* Mini-megaphone (save for next demo I go on)
:-* Lego police-bike (cool, I'll be building that)
:-* Robocop keyring (don't use keyrings, but okay)
:-* Candy whistle (cheap confectionery)
:-* Dredd underbelly one-shot comic ;nuff said
:-* Zbox magazine (surprisingly good fun - novelty lists of Top 10 'bad cops'; article about Dredd aging in real time, article on Planet Replicas (including pics of some judges we all know and love)

The box was nice in itself - Dirty Harry graphics and a Hot Fuzz quote.

So all in all, definitely worth it 'cos I was considering paying more than that for the badge, but I wouldn't subscribe because if I wasn't into Dredd, the rest is a bit tat-tastic

Mardroid

Yeah, mine arrived today too. I went for the cheaper one.

It had less items than I hoped..*. but then I opened that velvet pouch... and it was all worthwhile. Such a solid lovely thing. Looks great on the stand (which took me a while to work out).

I liked the badge that came with the Mega Collection but in terms of quality, this is even better.
I'll admit to liking the robocop key ring and gettin a kick out of the lego item although I've yet to open it.

The outer picture shows a guy oh a helicopter, but I understant what's inside might be different... oh go on I'll take a look...

... and a piece fell out somewhere. Grrr. Okay, this one is the copter. Still, that's cool.

* Dear me what an ungrateful sod I come across there. It really is excellent value. Would be if it was just the badge and T-Shirt alone...

Dandontdare

I didn't know there was a cheaper one - damn!

Yeah, the stand took me a few minutes to figure out too!  :lol:

And you're right, it;'s not a bike but some kind of one-man helicopter/sea-plane thingy!

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 June, 2015, 10:38:47 PM
I didn't know there was a cheaper one - damn!

Judging by your haul, you went for the 20 one, same as me. I meant this one, rather than the one with the Dredd Blu ray and badge key-ring.

I did notice that Zavvi sent me a zbox discount code by email, but I'd already bought it for the full price (which is still a good deal).

QuoteAnd you're right, it;'s not a bike but some kind of one-man helicopter/sea-plane thingy!

Just finished putting it together. It was fun... but the larger blades look unfinished to me. That's how it looks on the box, but two more blades would look better, I think.

COMMANDO FORCES

From reading my order confirmation, the people who bought the more expensive one will be waiting on the other parcel with the disc and keyring in it, to arrive at some time in the future!

Goaty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 26 June, 2015, 11:45:10 PM
From reading my order confirmation, the people who bought the more expensive one will be waiting on the other parcel with the disc and keyring in it, to arrive at some time in the future!

Is that you?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 June, 2015, 11:42:24 PM
QuoteAnd you're right, it;'s not a bike but some kind of one-man helicopter/sea-plane thingy!

Just finished putting it together. It was fun... but the larger blades look unfinished to me. That's how it looks on the box, but two more blades would look better, I think.

et voila:

Ive gotta say, putting together a Lego model from step-by-step instructions (a first for me) is infinitely less fun than just building stuff from your imagination + Lego bricks.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yes building lego bombs is always more fun! Your Police Helicopter is brutal.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

PlanetReplicas

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 June, 2015, 10:12:06 PM
My Zbox arrived! The Dredd badge alone is worth more than the £19.99 price (the only reason I bought it!), so everything else is just gravy:

So, in addition to the badge (in a nice bag with a groovy little plastic stand for it), it had:

:-* 1894 Thought Police T-shirt (nice!)
:-* Mini-megaphone (save for next demo I go on)
:-* Lego police-bike (cool, I'll be building that)
:-* Robocop keyring (don't use keyrings, but okay)
:-* Candy whistle (cheap confectionery)
:-* Dredd underbelly one-shot comic ;nuff said
:-* Zbox magazine (surprisingly good fun - novelty lists of Top 10 'bad cops'; article about Dredd aging in real time, article on Planet Replicas (including pics of some judges we all know and love)

The box was nice in itself - Dirty Harry graphics and a Hot Fuzz quote.

So all in all, definitely worth it 'cos I was considering paying more than that for the badge, but I wouldn't subscribe because if I wasn't into Dredd, the rest is a bit tat-tastic

Very chuffed to hear- quoting the whole thread just so people can see !
A quick check on Twitter and its looking like the Dredd badge has gone down a storm, so its looking like a big win for Zavvi, 2000AD an PR ;-)
www.planetreplicas.com

info@planetreplicas.com
www.facebook.com/PlanetReplicas

JOE SOAP

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yeah I think American audiences, reared on a general mistrust of governments would hardly ever take a fascistic Law enforcer to their hearts. That's why Stallone's version opted for the oldie ' framed by evil/corrupt  authority ' trope to try and humanize Dredd's gestapo inclinations. Urban's Dredd also had corruption from the system, the street Judges Ma Ma hired to act as gunslingers when her own anti Judicial  efforts met with unhappy and usually fatal results for Clan members.

Well the article isn't telling us anything we haven't discussed here already but it confirms my suspicions that the very core of Dredds world; the violent Lawman and the brutal Justice Department are an anathema to many Americans. Belief in Liberty is a central part of American culture and perhaps Judge Dredd is just to dark a vision of the USA for widespread popular appeal. 

― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 June, 2015, 01:34:12 PMWell the article isn't telling us anything we haven't discussed here already but it confirms my suspicions that the very core of Dredds world; the violent Lawman and the brutal Justice Department are an anathema to many Americans. Belief in Liberty is a central part of American culture and perhaps Judge Dredd is just to dark a vision of the USA for widespread popular appeal.

On the contrary, the general thrust of article is the opposite of that notion:

But to return to the earlier question: does this mean that the failure of the 1995 Judge Dredd movie was down to the source material, and not the movie itself? Ultimately, no; even if the movie had gone for just one aspect of the comic, it could have been a successful movie (Come on; "merciless lawman of the future" is a great hook for a movie, even without everything else that Dredd is as a comic series). The movie failed because of the quality of the movie, in the end.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I disagree but I always see the worst in things! Though the Hollywood reporter says the 1995 film was pretty flat the general tone of the article proposed that the Dredd Universe was too complicated to be reduced for for easy mass consumption. Judge Dredd has had three decades worth of material and that's a lot of stuff to juggle with. I think at some point there might be another Dredd film but not until there's another leap in the cost of reducing Filmmaking and CGI to more manageable levels. $70-100 million dollars is the average for Action movies these days. No way is any studio going to put up the money for another Dredd Film but perhaps TV might offer a lifeline though not for a while.   

The Punisher Movies were all pretty lame box office wise but  the Punisher character is to return in DareDevil on Netflix. Different Universe etc but if there's a place for a violent, psychotic vigilante on TV surely there might be space for a violent, future Cop as well. I still think that the world of JD is too bleak a view of the future for American consumers and it will always be a niche enterprise. If teaming up with Batman didn't do it for Judge Dredd by introducing him to a bigger market then there's little that will. If people don't wanna buy they don't wanna buy.

― Nikola Tesla

ZenArcade

It has been said before, a ministeries would better explain the Dreddverse. Though the 2012 film wasn't a bad stab. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead