Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 29 June, 2017, 10:18:50 AM
Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 28 June, 2017, 08:18:48 AM
Ah, aboard the last launch to transfer off the HMS Hood before it was destroyed was a young Navy intelligence officer, Lieutenant Jon Pertwee, who later went on to present a prototype (and even more annoying) version of the Green Gross Code...

https://youtu.be/_r1UiNZ3G4Y

Stop pavement look is near keep, that's easy to remember...

Well I've found where Conrad's been hiding.

The Green Cross Code is slightly improved by Mr. Pertwee, but reminds me a lot of Look Around You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaI6kBVyu00

As a child once, I don't recall ever needing instruction on the hazards of getting smashed by a car. We had our fair share in the US that were crammed in between the precious cartoons. I'm trying to watch Skeleton Warriors, stop bothering me Crash Test Dummies!

May be the parts of California that I visited, but every corner had Walk-Don't-Walk lights.  You wouldn't get far in the UK if you only crossed roads where there was a specified crossing.

Tiplodocus

Listening to the first five episodes of this while decorating.

Hugely enjoyable stuff and the enthusiasm for INVASION has me laughing along.  It really makes me want to go back and read INVASION and HARLEM HEROES in full again.  MACH 1, less so.

But looking forward to more.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Vanilllahubby on 29 June, 2017, 11:40:38 AM
Never leave the doghouse without your electronux and at night keep yourself seen
with a electroflare (warning may cause blindness). Just a quick question fox&Conrad,
how far in front are you with the podcast? Into 1981 yet?

Our current posting schedule is super aggressive so we are pretty far ahead, that way we can provide a consistent product to you guys while allowing us the ability to get reasonable amounts of sleep! It's a balancing act though, because being ahead means that it takes a while for us to react to things, even important corrects like me mis-pronouncing Gerry Finley-Day's name! Since you asked, right now we have shows recorded until the middle of Q3 1980, but we're trying to get further ahead.

Also, for the record I remain legitimately exasperated by Fox's anti-Green Cross Code stance.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 June, 2017, 02:04:21 PM

Hugely enjoyable stuff and the enthusiasm for INVASION has me laughing along.  It really makes me want to go back and read INVASION and HARLEM HEROES in full again.  MACH 1, less so.

Thanks! We're having a ton of fun making the show and it means a lot to hear people enjoying it!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling forty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1979. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1979 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we'll give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode, and what your favorite 2000AD memories of 1979 were! Also if you have any suggestions for new Spinny categories, or things to discuss for the end of 1980, we'd love to hear them!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 June, 2017, 10:42:01 AM
We should have had some 2000 AD themed safety films.

Don't throw motor-cycles at people unless you're a MACH man.

While taking a bath in Volgan-occupied Britain, always remember your yellow ducky and shotgun.

Dinosaur awareness week.

And Dan Dare's please remember to blow up this planet before you leave the system.

If you're going to befriend Bill Savage or Dan Dare, remember this simple acronym: PYW. Prepare Your Will!

Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2017, 12:54:54 PM
May be the parts of California that I visited, but every corner had Walk-Don't-Walk lights.  You wouldn't get far in the UK if you only crossed roads where there was a specified crossing.

There are, but if I know my Californian's, those are very optional. Besides, it's robot slavery and I'm taking a stand. Er, walk.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 June, 2017, 02:04:21 PM

I seriously miss Harlem Heroes. I was very surprised by how taken I became with a sports comic. I'm going into this very blind, but Conrad has explained to me that I shouldn't be too excited for anything after Inferno in that regard.

Space Spinner 2000 Rules, OK!?

Dandontdare

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 29 June, 2017, 02:40:13 PM

There are, but if I know my Californian's, those are very optional. Besides, it's robot slavery and I'm taking a stand. Er, walk.

I knew a guy who is technically a wanted man in California - he got a ticket for jay-walking across an empty street in Hollywood at 3am, and by the time the ever-increasing fines and court demands had been redirected to him via several address changes, there was a warrant for his arrest out.
How long do those things last? This was 1987, but he claimed he'd never be able to go back to California again!

And if Darth Vader or Dr Who can't persuade you to be safe, how about creepy 70s pop heart-throb Alvin Stardust?

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 June, 2017, 03:00:42 PM
Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 29 June, 2017, 02:40:13 PM

I knew a guy who is technically a wanted man in California - he got a ticket for jay-walking across an empty street in Hollywood at 3am, and by the time the ever-increasing fines and court demands had been redirected to him via several address changes, there was a warrant for his arrest out.
How long do those things last? This was 1987, but he claimed he'd never be able to go back to California again!

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect three years.
And if Darth Vader or Dr Who can't persuade you to be safe, how about creepy 70s pop heart-throb Alvin Stardust?

We thought of him as a cheap Gary Glitter knock-off - I know which one I'd want as an entertainer at a party now...

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling forty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 146-149 of 2000 AD, covering January of 1980. It's a huge Judge Dredd month, as Judge Minty leaves Mega City One just as Judge Death arrives! Also Conrad tries to explain what Top of the Pops is, and fails miserably!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

SpaceSpinner2000

We sort of expose the business this episode, as you can really figure out when we're taping vs  when the episodes come out based on our Judge Minty Fan Film discussion. As Steve McManus will tell you, stockpiling is important to having a smooth release schedule!  :D

Steve Green

I'd completely forgotten that Timequake made an appearance in the prog.

Thanks for the shout-out on Minty - yeah, The Stainless Steel Rat is great - the rebellion trade collects the three strips.

I wish they'd adapted more.

Lobo Baggins

In space, no one can hear you Pew! Pew! Pew!, as there aren't any sound effects in The VCs space battles.

Not yet, anyway, as it gets forgotten later on... but it's a nice touch which took me years to notice.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Whoa that's an awesome point! I didn't notice that either! Luckily the VCs themselves are there to provide sound effects themselves by shouting "VAPE" all the time!

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 03 July, 2017, 06:03:18 PM
Whoa that's an awesome point! I didn't notice that either! Luckily the VCs themselves are there to provide sound effects themselves by shouting "VAPE" all the time!

Ahem, after a quick look, I now notice that spaceship explosions sometimes make noises (and Geeks go Geee! a lot) but it's otherwise silent.  The battle on Pluto actually becomes extremely eerie when I realised that.

Lobo Baggins

Incidentally, some of the characters under the bridge in Captain Klep include -

Standing behind Klep in the first panel is our old pal, Rick Random.

The long haired guy using the football as a pillow is Roy Race from Roy of the Rovers, a football comic.

The guy under the comics asking about Plumduff is Jet-Ace Logan, his sidekick went by the name of Plumduff Chateris.

Spaceman First Class Albert Fitzwilliam Digby, batman to Dan Dare from The Eagle.

The disembodied metal hand is Louis Crandell, The Steel Claw (he's invisible).

The guy talking about the all-powerful eye is Tim Kelly from Kelly's Eye.

The squaddy looking for his guv'nor is Maggots Malone, batman to Captain Hurricane.

The bloke with the cigar and the hat is Major Eazy, an extremely laid back Carlos Ezquerra character from Battle.

Captain Hurricane was a British Commando and homicidal maniac originally from Valiant, but he was the Tharg-style editor of Battle at the time of this strip.

The robot with ARC on its chest is Robot Archie, you may remember him from the first Tharg's Future Shock (he was originally from Lion).

I don't know who the stripy thing in front of Rick Random is, or the bloke in the second to last panel who's 'finally going to die' is though.

Steve Green

The stripey character is Tiger Tim.

The other guy - D-Day Dawson possibly? Shot by a Nazi bullet, lodged near his heart?