Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

yes i adore this and mega city bookclub its like the two podcasts i drop everything to listen to plus this podcast gave me that idea i did for the advent calender where i got my poor american friend to deal with 2000ad

WhizzBang

Quote from: Andy B on 20 April, 2018, 12:14:30 AM
And also getting close to the Best Prog Ever... I'm excited to see what you guys make of late 1983!
Which prog is this?

Andy B

Quote from: WhizzBang on 20 April, 2018, 06:10:13 AM
And also getting close to the Best Prog Ever... I'm excited to see what you guys make of late 1983!
Which prog is this?

335. Just my opinion, obviously! I'm sure there's a thread on that somewhere...

SpaceSpinner2000

I'm pretty stoked about that one too: the return of Nemesis and Strontium Dog, The Graveyard Shift, Venus Bluegenes, and McMahon starting on Slaine. Just from the table contents it's a very strong prog!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: Andy B on 20 April, 2018, 12:41:39 PM
Which prog is this?

That was the first one where I became a regular reader (can't remember why, but I must have had problems buying the prog where I lived, because it wasn't until 350 until I started getting absolutely every week).

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 20 April, 2018, 03:04:15 PM
Which prog is this?

That was the first one where I became a regular reader (can't remember why, but I must have had problems buying the prog where I lived, because it wasn't until 350 until I started getting absolutely every week).

p.s. I doubt that I'd still be reading comics if it wasn't for Nemesis Book III - the fact that Sláine was also running didn't harm matters.

Lobo Baggins

Which prog is this?

Statistically speaking, the prog that had the highest rating on Barney (back when Barney still had ratings!) was prog 324...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling ninety-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 305-308 of 2000AD, covering February and March of 1983. Join us as Judge Dredd takes on the Trapper Hag, Rogue Trooper takes on Napoleon, Harry 20 takes on the world, and Skizz takes on Gravity! Also some truly high quality time twisters!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

Oh boy!  I hope Fox was prepared for the Authorised Retaliation to a correctly performed First of the Month Ritual!

'A slap and a kick, for being so quick!' supersedes the 'no returns!' clause...

Also, Fox's vision of the next Royal Wedding left me laughing so much that I missed the whole of the Harry 20 review and had to rewind it.

Skizz is my absolute favourite of Alan Moore's 2000AD work, even though it's probably the most 'bafflingly British' things you're likely to see. And pay very close attention, as nearly everything you see (including tiny background details) is Important Later.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 23 April, 2018, 03:56:02 PM
Oh boy!  I hope Fox was prepared for the Authorised Retaliation to a correctly performed First of the Month Ritual!

'A slap and a kick, for being so quick!' supersedes the 'no returns!' clause...

Also, Fox's vision of the next Royal Wedding left me laughing so much that I missed the whole of the Harry 20 review and had to rewind it.

Skizz is my absolute favourite of Alan Moore's 2000AD work, even though it's probably the most 'bafflingly British' things you're likely to see. And pay very close attention, as nearly everything you see (including tiny background details) is Important Later.

I forgot to get a report of Fox's experiences with it at the start of April, gotta check in!

Angela Merkel, Meghan Markle, same person basically!

I really like Skizz as well! I've been waiting to get to it almost since the show started, so I'm incredibly excited that we're finally talking about it, and that Fox is enjoying it :D

Steve Green

Jim Calladroid is James Callaghan, Labour PM before Thatcher.

Known as 'Sunny Jim'

Hard to see what the others are The Great something?

Colin YNWA

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I always think 'Skizz' owes as much to Alan Bleasdale's seminal TV drama 'Boys from the Black Stuff' as it does to 'ET'. In so far as it really helps identify key social differences between the backdrops of both stories. This has been fairly well covered in commentry of 'Skizz' in various places so you are very possibly well on with this, but worth mentioning just in case.

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 23 April, 2018, 06:02:22 PM
Jim Calladroid is James Callaghan, Labour PM before Thatcher.

Known as 'Sunny Jim'

Hard to see what the others are The Great something?

Did Oswald Mosley get mentioned anywhere?  Inspiration for Iron Aggie's usurper, obviously, but I also think he's the inspiration for one of Torquemada's incarnations...

SpaceSpinner2000

I think it was right when he first appeared, but I definitely did call it out!

Steve Green

Yeah, I was wondering whether you would pick up on it - when I read it as a kid, I didn't know who he was.

British Fascists weren't covered in English History when I was at school...

I also re-read the story when you were covering it, I'd forgotten how long it went on!