Main Menu

Wrap It Up

Started by Funt Solo, 29 December, 2023, 07:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 05 May, 2024, 06:37:51 PMAre sound effects always scripted, or done by the artist, or done by the letterer? It's probably a mixture, right?

Honestly, it's anyone's guess. If the writer puts it in the script, then either the artist or the letterer will usually make sure it ends up on the page. However, artists who like doing SFX may well add their own, or completely change the scripted effect.

Letterers will generally just letter the sound effect per the script. Sometimes, I will edit SFX from the scripted version — writers will often script BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM because it takes up a lot of space in the script. I take that to mean that they want a big 'boom'. If I don't have a lot of horizontal space then I can make BOOOM a lot bigger than BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

On top of that, the artist will sometimes draw something other than what's in the script. If I've got a KRAKK in the script from a jaw-breaking punch but the artist has given me someone's fist going right through a person's head, then I'm lettering a SKPLUTCH. :)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 03 May, 2024, 08:29:48 AMJBC, I'm pretty sure I have the 1992 yearbook in a pile of neglected comics here and after your that post about your love and loss of it I'd love to send it to you. If you're interested PM me your address.

Sorry, been away from the board for a couple of days.  But wow. What can I say? That's incredibly kind of you and you're an absolute star.  I'll PM you tomorrow. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 May, 2024, 05:09:15 AMSorry, been away from the board for a couple of days. 
You spend a weekend cavorting with young witches and you forget who your real friends are?
Just remember: that when the ecstatic music dies down, the sun comes up, and the drugs wear off, the pretty young things are going to put their tops back on and forget about you.
But we'll still be here for you – a cohort of middle-aged men with earnest opinions about old comics.
Now be honest: which would you rather?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

I'll level with you - I got food poisoning at the start of the weekend and spent very little time cavorting.  I'll spare you the details but I'm still not feeling right.  Ah well, there's always next May.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Tough break.
Sincerest sympathies sent from somewhere safely upwind.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks.  Really gutted I couldn't enjoy it properly but at least I got to watch the show and play a small part in it. Roll on next May.

Swerty

No need to dismay there's another bank holiday in 3 weeks

JayzusB.Christ

True - and the whole point of the celebration was to usher in the summer, which has now begun.

Back on point, that Brendan McCarthy Brit Cit cover is great.  I'd forgotten he'd invented the look of the Brit Cit judge, but it's lovely to see him throw in Armitage, which for me was the strip that epitomised the look and atmosphere of Brit Cit itself