Main Menu

What is the proper rank structure in the MC 1 Justice Dept.

Started by The dude, 05 March, 2017, 10:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Just to muddy things in the Emerald Isle/Murphyville system they do have more obvious ranks, as Joyce was a Judge-Sergeant.

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 05 March, 2017, 10:19:57 AM
The reference (the dude) mentioned was in Mechanismo: Body Count and it was senior judge grade 1 ... The anomaly Frank points out is easily explained. In the Apocalypse War, Dredd says "the possibility of invasion was never envisaged." So they didn't need or have an army, because they just relied on their nuclear deterrent. After the war they learned their lesson, so by Day of Chaos there was a standing army

... but not by the time of Judgement Day, Inferno, or Doomsday; all no-shows for the boys in kakhi. Quarter of a century seems like a long time to act on a lesson; it's not as if Chief Judges are constrained by a lot of red tape.

Gulag (1382, March 2004) is the first appearance of the weakly named 'Defence Div', in the person of the better named Votten. It's not a Wagner story, which brings into play the totally unofficial rule that's so incredibly disrespectful we're not even allowed to allude to it, as I just did.

But Wagner teamed Dredd with 'defence ... troopers', who wear chest shields, have one eye replaced with an eagle shield - like Ennis & MacNeil's Space Corp - and call each other 'boys' in a way street judges just don't, during Day Of Chaos (1761), so all the dots join up.

Top work locating that reference to Dredd as Grade 1, by the way.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe the first judge on the scene of a crime is senior judge in that particular case, (which may be why rookies get to lead) unless a) they don't have the particular skill set to properly carry out the investigation (eg., psi, tek or med specialities), b) the case connects to an earlier one already under investigation, c) politics or circumstances dictate a more experienced judge take charge, d) the investigating judge cocks it up or gets incapacitated, e) Dredd turns up and takes over because he can...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

There's a scene somewhere (I forget in which story but it's by Wagner and Ezquerra) where Dredd turns up and starts giving orders, and another judge says something like "er, sorry sir, but technically I'm the case judge here," and Dredd says "sorry, force of habit, no offence" and the first judge says "quite understandable." (Probably The Pit or Sector House but I can't check now because I'm out.) So they don't automatically pull rank in each other.

I had assumed that rookies were allowed to take over cases because the point is to evaluate how they do, and they've got their assessing judge's authority to back them up.

The Legendary Shark

Hmm, so maybe when a judge attains a certain level of seniority, like Dredd, the majority of cases they're assigned (apart from the run-of-the-mill "I'm in the area, Control, I'll take it," cases) are because the first judge on-scene needs help or back-up or realises it's part of another case with a senior investigator already assigned. That would indicate that if Dredd turns up at a crime scene already under investigation, as you describe, he's used to being sent there to take charge due to his skills and experience - it would be a waste to assign a judge like Dredd to a case/scene just to guard the perimeter or carry out routine door to door questioning (though probably not unheard of; might be interesting to see what would happen if a rookie control judge sent Dredd to stand behind the 'CRIME SCENE - KEEP OUT' tape!).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The dude

This was when Dredd was helping his admirer Demaro the asextor Chief.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I always understood there were Judges and, after a set length of time on the street, they became "senior" Judges - basically guys or gals with more experience.

All are autonomous. They answer to their Sector Chief or the Head of their Division, who in turn answer to the Council of Five, who in turn answer to the Chief Judge.

How can this be? Who decides what is needed and what is right? The Judges to, each of them themself, knowing The Law and what is best for the city. Dredd exemplifies this.

And if you cross the line then the SJS come for you.
Lock up your spoons!

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 March, 2017, 08:34:38 PM
I always understood there were Judges and, after a set length of time on the street, they became "senior" Judges - basically guys or gals with more experience.

All are autonomous. They answer to their Sector Chief or the Head of their Division, who in turn answer to the Council of Five, who in turn answer to the Chief Judge.

How can this be? Who decides what is needed and what is right? The Judges do, each of them knowing The Law and what is best for the city. Dredd exemplifies this.

And if you cross the line then the SJS come for you.

Absolutely all of that, although you never really get the impression Dredd answers to a sector chief or even the head of Street Division. His relationship is always with the Chief Judge.

Rogue Judge

THE PROPER RANK STRUCTURE IN THE MC 1 JUSTICE DEPT.:

Judge Dredd (he is the law)
                                                                       l
                                                              Everybody Else

A cheeky response, but Dredd is top dog and seems to have authority outside of the established hierarchy. Where I am currently reading (just finished CF#20) it appears that whatever actions Dredd takes is the law and everyone else comes second. He constantly tells off Chief Judge Mcgruder (especially over Mechanismo etc.) and she takes it because he is Dredd (with all his authority and experiences). I'm not sure if he has had this relationship with Chief Judges since. He occasionally tells off the SJS and overthrew Judge Cal (justifiably). Regardless of the established structure Dredd is the law...

The dude

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 05 March, 2017, 09:50:40 PM
                                THE PROPER RANK STRUCTURE IN THE MC 1 JUSTICE DEPT.:

Judge Dredd (he is the law)
                                                                       l
                                                              Everybody Else

A cheeky response, but Dredd is top dog and seems to have authority outside of the established hierarchy. Where I am currently reading (just finished CF#20) it appears that whatever actions Dredd takes is the law and everyone else comes second. He constantly tells off Chief Judge Mcgruder (especially over Mechanismo etc.) and she takes it because he is Dredd (with all his authority and experiences). I'm not sure if he has had this relationship with Chief Judges since. He occasionally tells off the SJS and overthrew Judge Cal (justifiably). Regardless of the established structure Dredd is the law...

I strongly disagree. He calls them on not following the law.
Lock up your spoons!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 March, 2017, 11:40:11 PM
I strongly disagree. He calls them on not following the law.

Disagree with which? As said, I was being a little cheeky; Dredd does not act outside the established law but seems to act outside the established hierarchy (as demonstrated, when necessary).

When challenging Chief Judge Mcgruder (who is in authority over him) about Mechanismo, he was calling her out for the potential dangers and ethics of a robot judge, not necessarily the legality of the issue.

Richard

Rogue has a point.

Besides, even if he didn't have a point he'd just be living up to his name.