Main Menu

Recent posts

Creative Common / Re: Does my (a.i.)art look big...
Last post by Funt Solo - 13 April, 2024, 03:21:13 PM
Another thought I had was about a person's involvement in a highly-skilled pursuit. The example "knocker-upper", one assumes, would not feel bereft at the invention of alarm clocks. They may feel a loss of income and wonder what other avenues to explore, but the knocking-up (*ahem*) was presumably a bit of a trudge, as employment goes.

On the other hand, when someone is in love with their work to the extent that it is a core aspect of their lives...

Bristol tailor's 'heart crying' as he retires after 54 years
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by moly - 13 April, 2024, 02:51:38 PM
I received mine in a cardboard box so more likely Royal Mail trashed the box
Last post by pauljholden - 13 April, 2024, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 April, 2024, 10:21:54 PM(My colleague's childish attempt to make their first game in the early 90s by typing "a really good boxing game" into a text file and hoping for magic to happen is still, I think, not here. It is closer, though.)

This is unrelated, but when I got my first computer - an Amstrad CPC464 in 1984 our neighbour came round and said and wanting to be impressed by what computers could do, she said "Ask it where my Victor[her husband] is" we all laughed because it was a preposterous, don't be silly. But of course, I am frequently asking my phone where my kids are.

Last post by Tomwe - 13 April, 2024, 01:05:35 PM
Today's Hachette package came in a Royal Mail bag. It has opened again. They have clearly cut back on postage budgets again.
Last post by The Monarch - 13 April, 2024, 12:26:08 PM
the collector story in armoured gideon is the kind of silly nonsense i love so much. Bill savage fights shako. angel is shite. possibly the only appearance of doomlord we'll ever get cause the DDC are cunts. ant wars!
Last post by Le Fink - 13 April, 2024, 11:19:31 AM
Quote from: JohnW on 11 April, 2024, 07:57:09 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 April, 2024, 11:44:06 AMArmoured Gideon
(It's great)
Not wrong, Boots old man.
I've torn off the cellophane and got stuck in.

I've succumbed after the rave reviews and ordered this, despite having little recollection of it from reading it at the time. My copy arrived today, it's quite a tome, especially compared to the Harry 20 volume which arrived in the same delivery. I've read the first B&W story. It's terrific, reads really well, and the art is quite something. I'm not sure why it didn't stick with me first time around. Maybe reading it collected suits it better.

Quote from: JohnW on 11 April, 2024, 07:57:09 PMI'd forgotten how this story really found its mojo after the first series. Both script and art sing once things get coloured.

I'm yet to read the colour stories but I feel I have to stand up for the first story! The B&W splash pages featuring Gideon are very striking. The sheer amount of precision cross-hatching is a wonder to behold. Story's all good too! Looking forward to the next ones.
General / Re: Mega City Book Club - a ne...
Last post by Eamonn Clarke - 13 April, 2024, 11:19:22 AM
Thanks, Richard. And here is the cover image that Stephen chose as his Tintin grail. Anyone got $2m to spare?

Off Topic / Re: Boys Adventure comic blog
Last post by Richard S. - 13 April, 2024, 07:29:11 AM
'Escape' magazine, the early A5 sized years! A great comics magazine from Paul Gravett, I've got issues 5-7 and am on the lookout for issues 1-4

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2024/03/escape-early-years.html
General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by redsquirrel - 13 April, 2024, 06:20:49 AM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 31 March, 2024, 01:39:54 PMJust an ongoing series of Black Beth in the prog would be great.
Another vote for this
Last post by Funt Solo - 13 April, 2024, 04:12:12 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 13 April, 2024, 01:31:04 AMMuch as we might moan, we all have to adapt to this new world.  After all, there are not many jobs nowadays for knocker-uppers, telegram messengers or VCR repairers these days.

I'd like to argue that artistic expression is rather different, in that the intention of the artist seems rather to be a part of the piece (alongside the reaction of the audience).

I'm never going to be able to express this feeling as well as this person: How to Replace the Sky