Main Menu

First single or album bought

Started by 8-Ball, 27 April, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGYNWA

First album I paid for with my own shiny coins was "Pump" by Aerosmith - up until then, from about 83 to 89, my mum (bless her) had helped feed my rock/metal needs....she didn't even baulk at getting my Appetite for Destruction in 87.

First single - that was Bomb the Bass "Don't make me wait" in 1988. TUNE!!!
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

This was my first single

First Album was actually 2 at the same time, being Led Zeppelin II and Nirvana's Nevermind, purchased with my 13th birthday money on a twofer deal in my local Virgin Megastore
You may quote me on that.

Frank

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 29 April, 2014, 02:58:36 PM
First single - that was Bomb the Bass "Don't make me wait" in 1988. TUNE!!!

TUNE!

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: JamesC on 27 April, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
First single I bought was either Ghostbusters, The Frog Chorus (Paul McCartney and Rupert) or Band Aid.

The first album was Southpaw Grammar by Morrissey. I almost bought either the Billy Joel album that has 'We Didn't Start The Fire' on it or the Turtles movie soundtrack but they were both too expensive so I didn't buy either.

I'm guessing we must be roughly the same age because your experience more or less matches my own. I was allowed to choose between The Frog Chorus and Band Aid as a Christmas gift. I went for Macca's finest hour but was more interested in Rupert at the time.

The first single I bought with my own pocket money was M/A/R/R/S's Pump up the Volume, which was ultimately left on the record player by the window and melted in the hot sun.

I actually bought the TMNT soundtrack. It was shite. Even in the context of the above.

von Boom

The first single I ever bought was:

the first Album was:

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

shaolin_monkey

The first album I remember paying cold hard cash for was a second hand copy of Sheer Heart Attack by Queen.  To this day, side one remains one of my favourite sides of any album ever.

8-Ball

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 29 April, 2014, 11:16:26 PM
The first album I remember paying cold hard cash for was a second hand copy of Sheer Heart Attack by Queen.  To this day, side one remains one of my favourite sides of any album ever.

Great choice of album. Stone Cold Crazy flippin' rocks! Not so keen on Killer Queen as I may have heard it blaring from my big sister's bedroom one too many times.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Eightball on 29 April, 2014, 11:23:03 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 29 April, 2014, 11:16:26 PM

Great choice of album. Stone Cold Crazy flippin' rocks! Not so keen on Killer Queen as I may have heard it blaring from my big sister's bedroom one too many times.

Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist are my fave tracks on the album by quite a large margin, though I pretty much love everything on side one.  Only a couple of likes on side two though...

Colin YNWA

Early Queen records are sadly overlooked classics - Queen, Queen II the aforementioned Sheer Heart Act all the say to News of the World really all wonderful records. Gets a bit more patchy after that.

Spaceghost

Since people have been including records bought with money actually earned by working, as a schoolboy, I did 2 weeks of work experience (free slave labour in other words) at Rocks Off, a local independent record shop.

It was the week that License to Ill by the Beastie Boys came out which was the best thing I had ever heard. At the end of the 2 weeks, the manager gave me a copy of the album as a thank you, starting a life-long love affair with the Beastie Boys and hip hop in general.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 29 April, 2014, 05:36:15 PM
TUNE!

Magic - love that song. Going to try to dig up the 'Into the dragon' album that was on - not listened to it in about 20 years I reckon.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Hotshot101

Hi, the first album I ever bought was Nirvana BBC Sessions
Great Band, Great Album :)

8-Ball

Quote from: Hotshot101 on 05 May, 2014, 08:59:22 PM
Hi, the first album I ever bought was Nirvana BBC Sessions
Great Band, Great Album :)

Indeed they are. Some people will tell you different... but don't believe 'em.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Diggerboot

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 27 April, 2014, 07:22:42 PM
Showing my age; my first single was by Bang Bang by BA Robertson.

Yeah ....Right (showing my age   :-[  )
Mine was Stranded by Roxy Music