Started by ukdane, 10 January, 2005, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Brashill's art here is brilliant (apart from

... and spelling Innocenti's name wrong on the data screen - "Innocente"
Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

I've only read the first ever Dante story

Pete - a LOT has happened in between! Make sure you follow the GN collection of the series as they come out.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Krustabi

Dredd - Great script, still don't like Brashill's art, I think it feels a bit too flippant for the murder scenes to me. I love the way that Wagner has added the psi powers element to the strip, adding a further layer of mystery, when he could of just done a standard "aftermath" story.

Cab Inc. - The characters in the strip are some of the greatest ever in 2thou, possibly in all comics. (slightly hyperbolic I know, but I'm in a good mood) I don't think Ravne is as evil as he seems though ... (And yes, I am aware that he was a nazi)

Slaine - After the disappointment of the Third Books of Invasions, I was hoping that Mills would get the story back on track. He hasn't.

2nd City Blues - Much improved when the action starts.

Dante - Good, nothing special. But the final line was pure dross.

House of Usher

I made the cover! That's me, that is, putting words into the mouth of Comics International!
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

I mean, it's only my opinion, and not necessarily that of the publication, but it's still nice to see it quoted even if the attribution is rather grander than when it first saw print.
STRIKE !!!

thrillpowerseeker

Slaine is EXCELLENT....

Why do wishy washy fucking Liberals try to impose their set of values retrospectively on every single story in the comic?..

Slaine is totally in keeping with everything that has gone before it..and long may it continue!..

The Amstor Computer

"Why do wishy washy fucking Liberals try to impose their set of values retrospectively on every single story in the comic?"

Explain, please.

Wils

Oh dear. He's back with a vengeance, is he?

You're wasting your time asking for a well thought out, coherant explanation, DF, 'cos you won't get one.

Telling him to fuck off then killfiling him works nicely, though. :)

thrillpowerseeker

Well, whether you choose to call it the text or the tone of the strip, the fact is that over far too many series authoritative characters have spouted a load of more or less misogynist crap, only for their viewpoint to be borne out by events. Mongo offers a classic example in this prog - he says "You have to humour her. Remember how your father used to humour your mother?" Slaine follows his advice - and it works! That's an authorial stance, not the voice of a character. And quite a few people really dislike paying for this particular writer's version of sexual politics, which he seems intent on ramming home at every possible opportunity.

that is the kind of thing I'm on about...

Carlsborg Expert.

This Slaine thing. With The Earth mother. Although we have heard it oh, a thousand times, it surely is only a device to bring newer reader up to par with Slai & Danus relationship. all it is. Editorial device?;-/

Leigh S

Hands up and may I say I'm really not enjoying Brashills art - I hated his earlier stuff, and to be fair there is some considerable improvement here on his Black and white stuff with his own colouring - its very silky, I'll grant you.  But I the underlying drawing is just plain sloppy - take a piece of tracing paper and follow the lines on that newsreaders face in the first panel - its all over the shop - whats going on with his left eye/eyebrow?

You've got cartoon people drowning children in baths - that just doesnt work for me... McMahon and Gibson are by no means photorealistic, but they sell me a heightened reality - this doesnt convince me it's "real".

Now get Brashill a penciller, and get him to apply that colouring technique over their stuff, and I might join the choir - as it is, I'm just underwhelmed by it.  

Smiley

Some really drab art this week, very ho-hum. Caballistics and Dante are the saving grace.