Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 May, 2021, 04:31:24 PM
The Wicker Man, for the millionth time.  On May Day this time though, in my neighbour's big and wild garden beside the canal, with a bonfire and beers.  It's not the best film ever made, nor by any means the best film I've ever seen, but it's still my favourite.

It's Nicolas Cage shouting about bees that makes it, of course.

Sounds like a wonderful evening to me!

Over the weekend I've watched:

Something Life (AntiLife?) - New Bruce Willis on Netflix. If only it had embraced it's B movie potential but instead tries to fool us into thinking it's something it's not. Makes not a lick of sense and the acting is so bland it will have you actually rooting against the main cast.

Love and Monsters - Not a dreadful premise and well executed. Not a great movie overall but I wasn't actively offended by it.

Hangover Edition: The Switch - To say this movie is problematic is an understatement but only in the early 2000's could a man trick the woman he loves into having his baby and it all ends happily ever after. What a bizarre idea for a romantic comedy. I'm not sure if this is worse than the one where Kevin Costner beds three generations of women from the same family.

This is where I leave you: The patriarch of the family dies and his dysfunctional family sit shiva to honour his last request. This wasn't dreadful and was touching and funny in equal measure. 

Dinner with Friends: Inoffensive comedy about nothing really.

The Night Clerk:  Not a bad movie but all I could think was 'What has Helen Hunt done to her face?'

Tiplodocus

DOOMSDAY
Neil Marshall's homage to much better post-apocolypse movies. Mean spirited, needlessly gory, badly scripted, poorly choreographed and edited, not even a hint of character in the performances, appalling world building and really cheap looking. I kept waiting for it to kick into gear, it never does.
Doomsday? More like Shitday.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 May, 2021, 11:14:25 PM
Neil Marshall's homage to much better post-apocolypse movies. Mean spirited, needlessly gory, badly scripted, poorly choreographed and edited, not even a hint of character in the performances, appalling world building and really cheap looking. I kept waiting for it to kick into gear, it never does.
Doomsday? More like Shitday.

Well, you described every Neil Marshall movie (including Dog Soldiers).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Rite

There's a decent cast, including Anthony Hopkins, Ciaran Hinds and Rutger Huger, plus an underused Toby Jones. But ultimately this is a po-faced re-tread of the Exorcist with less spinning heads and more university lectures.

It suffers for coming to a natural conclusion about an hour in when [spoiler]its possessed character dies[/spoiler], only to realise it still has another half hour to go and not enough plot left to keep going.

It was... okay. But because it's the obvious thing to say: The Rite? The Shite more like.

Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

Doomsday is a film that represents The Telegraphs idea of an independent Scotland.

Neil Marshall also seems to have this odd love/hate thing with the Scottish.

Barrington Boots

Doomsday is a great crap movie, it's excessive and doesn't make a lick of sense, just jumps from one set piece to another. Cannibals! Trains! Zombies! Knights! Mad Max cars! It's a sandbox of stupidity but one I don't mind watching.

In search of a buddy cop movie and unable to find Lethal Weapon on Netflix, I foolishly watched Red Heat. It sucks. Starts well and Arnie is good but James Belushi is unfunny and annoying and the film drags as soon as it shifts out of Russia. I expected the poor pacing and dialogue and pointless nudity in an 80s action film but I also expected some decent action and there's precious little of that. Total rubbish.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 07 May, 2021, 08:17:09 AM
The Rite? The Shite more like.

You expect us to believe you're not just Googling movies that rhyme with shite at this stage??

As for Neil Marshall - he's had a few duds, but The Descent is a modern horror classic that I have re-watched on more than a few occasions.

The Legendary Shark

Snowpiercer. To combat global warming, a chemical is released into the atmosphere that accidentally freezes the entire planet (I know) and the only survivors live on a great long train (I know) that travels around the world once a year (I know). All the plebs live in filth at the back of the train (I know) and all the fancy folk live in luxury at the front (I know).

Anyway, one day the plebs at the back decide to fight their way to the front (I know). On the way, they fight their way through a greenhouse car (I know), a schoolroom car (I know), and an aquarium car - where our heroes take a moment to sit down at a sushi bar for a while (I know).

It's probably a metaphor (I feckin' know, okay?), but an exceedingly clumsy one. Utter piffle from start to finish. All together, now - Snowpiercer? Shitepiercer, more like.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I have found Snowpiecer to have a wealth to offer.  Always found the disdain it can garner to be odd. 

Maybe it's like Marmite. 

Because Marmite is revolting (geddit?)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pictsy on 08 May, 2021, 10:14:06 PM
Because Marmite is revolting (geddit?)

Hah! Shamefully, I still haven't seen the movie, but I really like the Netflix TV show — it sounds like it embraces the metaphor much like the movie. Yes, it's on the nose, but it goes for it. The second series takes it a step further (interestingly, to me) by introducing a Trump-like figure in Sean Bean's Wilford that swings the balance of power. Subtle, it's not, but it's refreshing to see SF grapple so unapologetically and so directly with stuff that's desperately relevant.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

milstar

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 May, 2021, 08:56:57 PM

Snowpiercer. To combat global warming, a chemical is released into the atmosphere that accidentally freezes the entire planet (I know) and the only survivors live on a great long train (I know) that travels around the world once a year (I know). All the plebs live in filth at the back of the train (I know) and all the fancy folk live in luxury at the front (I know).

Anyway, one day the plebs at the back decide to fight their way to the front (I know). On the way, they fight their way through a greenhouse car (I know), a schoolroom car (I know), and an aquarium car - where our heroes take a moment to sit down at a sushi bar for a while (I know).

It's probably a metaphor (I feckin' know, okay?), but an exceedingly clumsy one. Utter piffle from start to finish. All together, now - Snowpiercer? Shitepiercer, more like.

I must say, I like how they filmed hack n slash scenes in the movie. And Tilda Swinton has really interesting part.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

I think it's the tone of the thing that lacked appeal for me. If it had been a black comedy I might have enjoyed it more but, as it is, I found it childish and simplistic. Even the classy actors involved couldn't save it - Tilda Swinton just looked and spoke like a character out of Wallace and Gromit.

It's like the makers got stoned one night and somebody said, "hey man - ffffffffft - have you ever thought, like, how society's like a really long train? Fffffft."

They've made a tv show out of it? That's... incredible.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

It's an adaptation of an 80's French comic.  Might see if I can track (geddit?) down a copy.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: pictsy on 09 May, 2021, 08:40:17 AM
It's an adaptation of an 80's French comic.  Might see if I can track (geddit?) down a copy.

I'm not going to RAIL against it, and I hope the comic has more salient POINTS to make - I just think this film has ideas above its STATION but I can see how others might be CHUFFED with it.

I'll get me whistle...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.