Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningChimera

R.I.P Rik. Thanks for all the happy memories.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Shocked to hear he's gone. We've lost a very talented actor and comedian. Those Young Ones episodes were part of my youth and still make me chuckle no matter how often I see them. Not a good day today.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IronGraham

The world is a sadder place one of my earliest comedy hero is gone, you'll be missed thanks for the memories
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

I, Cosh

I guess he's finally caught the last freedom moped out of nowhere city. I doff my manky leather cap to him.
We never really die.

Buttonman

Can't remember being saddened more by the death of someone I've never met. It's a common theme but I idolised Rik growing up and watched my VHS copies of The Young Ones and the Comic Strip until they broke. Genuinely brought a smile just by appearing on screen and I'm sure a whole generation feels a big loss tonight.

Trout

My friends and I used to pretend to be the Young Ones in playground games at primary school. I never got to be Rik, but one one memorable occasion "Rik" farted on my head. I shall fart in his memory whenever I can.

He was a true talent, in a really greasy, weird, violent way, and he's a great loss to us all.

- Trout

Prodigal2

Quote from: Trout on 10 June, 2014, 01:51:49 AM
My friends and I used to pretend to be the Young Ones in playground games at primary school. I never got to be Rik, but one one memorable occasion "Rik" farted on my head. I shall fart in his memory whenever I can.

He was a true talent, in a really greasy, weird, violent way, and he's a great loss to us all.

- Trout

The wonderful memories of childhood..........

RIP Rik.

James

Unusually sad about this. I really feel that he and Ade's comedy formed a part of my personality. I've always hoped for a return to Bottom but in a way I'm glad it is what it is-perfectly formed anarchic comedy at its best.

I'm pretty confident I could recite the whole of Mr Jolly lives next door.

"Never ever ever bloody anything, ever-I've lived my life by that rule".

"Nicholas...let's play a game..."
"Not Fatty's game!?"
"No no no,not Fatty's game, you're all right with us, Nicholas".

Tiplodocus

Well, we rewatched BLACKADDER II: BELLS last night in tribute. I think I got as much enjoyment from seeing my 14 year old pissing himself laughing when Flashheart arrives as I did from the thing itself.

I'd forgotten that he's only in the episode for about two minutes but he stomps all over it and indelibly imprints the character on your brain - I was quoting it for years after - and I was a grown up.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: James on 10 June, 2014, 11:38:05 AM
I really feel that he and Ade's comedy formed a part of my personality.

Same here - my sense of humour is what it is as a result of those 2, with Python added in for good measure.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

shaolin_monkey

This is the Blackadder I always quote:

Lord Flasheart: All right men, let's do-oo-oo it! The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite like you treat your woman!
Lieutenant George: How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?
Lord Flasheart: No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.

Dandontdare

"Punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, "but why are the kids crying?" and the kids will say "haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The people's poet is dead!" And then one particularly articulate teenager will say, "why kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?"

Very sad news. I was looking forward to a few more decades of him playing increasingly elderly hilarious bastards, culminating around 2045 with the definitive Dirty Old Man that would forever put Albert Steptoe in the shade.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 June, 2014, 12:14:36 PM
This is the Blackadder I always quote:

Lord Flasheart: All right men, let's do-oo-oo it! The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite like you treat your woman!
Lieutenant George: How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?
Lord Flasheart: No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.

Easily one of the few instances where an utterly mysogynistic and otherwise pulp character is somehow one of the most impressionable and charismatic and FUNNY in the entire show. And it was all down to Rik's amazing grasp on the role, dominating the scene at all times and fireing off quotable line after quotable line.

And that head butt.

TordelBack

"Bridesmaid- like the beard!  Gives me something to hang on to!"

This was something I heard a lot when I first grew a patchy fungus on my chin in an effort to eke a few minutes more sleep out the morning.  Never got old.