Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Prince Philip, husband to the Queen of England
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Tjm86

Well, there'll be sod all on telly this weekend now ...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 09 April, 2021, 12:09:35 PM
Prince Philip, husband to the Queen of England

Would be wonderful to believe this was one step closer to the final death of the British monarchy as an institution and an idea but that seems unlikely.
We never really die.

Tjm86

Well, Newsthump is reporting in their characteristic style:

https://newsthump.com/2021/04/09/prince-charles-in-foul-mood-after-wrong-parent-dies/

TBH I'm watching myself really carefully when I visit that sight.  Dropping in after a brief perusal of the Mail and the Express, it actually took me a few minutes to realise that the article about pre-reporting Yodel assignments as 'undelivered' was a spoof.  My satire detector is now well and truly shot!   :-\

Barrington Boots

Someone must have found his phylactery.

Apparently Fox News already linking it to Harry and Meghan...
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tjm86

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 April, 2021, 12:26:50 PM
Well, there'll be sod all on telly this weekend now ...

Radio 6 Music even stopped playing music... I mean come on the clue is in your name!

Hawkmumbler

Oh man, I rather liked him as Davros in the revived era.

Tjm86

... and of course there's this one from the Rochdale Herald.  Few years back but still ....

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2017/05/04/prince-philip-deemed-fit-to-work-after-atos-work-capability-assessment/

... or if you want a real chuckle, the Express is frothing at the bit over Corbyn's tweet about elections in South America and the fact that Channel 4 is doing exactly the same as they did when Diana carked it .... absolutely adamus cum flabello dulci ...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I've heard Channel 4 has a policy of not including celeb tabloid fodder and gossip in their news coverage, and unofficially, the royals fall into that category.

Not trying to be morbid, but Liz may not last much longer now. It'll be weird not having her around.

Now, if I was trying to be morbid I would suggest Aul' Phil kicked it a while ago, they just put off announcing it until new evidence about his sweatless creep of a son needed to be buried.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Assuming you all in alternate universe:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Woolly

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 April, 2021, 05:21:39 PM
Now, if I was trying to be morbid I would suggest Aul' Phil kicked it a while ago, they just put off announcing it until new evidence about his sweatless creep of a son needed to be buried.

Don't forget that George V was euthanized to make sure his death made the morning papers, as opposed to the evening press...

Whilst I admit I'm not going to miss him, him and Liz were married for over 70 years - this must be horrible for her. I genuinely hope she's ok.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Woolly on 10 April, 2021, 03:54:12 PM

Whilst I admit I'm not going to miss him, him and Liz were married for over 70 years - this must be horrible for her. I genuinely hope she's ok.

That's basically how I feel about it.  I personally would like to see the concept of monarchy consigned to the dustbin of history, she seems quite a decent sort, that queen of yours, and it's sad to see someone lose a spouse.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Woolly

Yeah, stuff the monarchy and all that. She's still human, and right now my heart goes out to her.

Tjm86

It feels at times like she and Philip did try to make an effort to bring some humility to what is so anachronistic.  At the end of the day you're absolutely right about a degree of respect.