Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 20 July, 2014, 08:34:24 AM
James Garner at 86. Rockford Files, Maverick, Disney's Atlantis. He was great.

Great he was. In Talking Pictures, Barry Norman used Garner as his example of why the Hollywood system didn't produce stars like Bogart and Cary Grant anymore. His thesis was that studios had stopped making the number and type of films which allowed charismatic actors to put their personality across and make a personal connection with the audience, and that those kind of actors had migrated to TV. That's even more true today, so I'd add being responsible for showing actors like Matthew McConaughey that the road from TV to film isn't a one way street to Garner's list of accomplishments.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 20 July, 2014, 08:34:24 AM
James Garner at 86.

Rockford Files, Maverick, Disney's Atlantis.

He was great.

If it wasn't for Clint Eastwood, Garner would have been the coolest man in the 70's.  Loved his work....a sad loss.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 20 July, 2014, 02:33:31 PM
Patriot star dead at 21

Jesus, that's an odious piece of writing. Makes the Daily Mail look like Woodward and Bernstein.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 July, 2014, 02:44:45 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 20 July, 2014, 02:33:31 PM
Patriot star dead at 21

Jesus, that's an odious piece of writing. Makes the Daily Mail look like Woodward and Bernstein.
TMZ is the epitamy of bad taste.

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 July, 2014, 11:07:29 PM
One of Garner's late but great roles:

Tastes like a shit and smells like a fart

Barbarians At The Gate

Is that Hank from Breaking Bad in that scene? I'll watch the rest of Barbarians At The Gate after work - never seen it before, despite it being by the great Larry Gelbart. Very topical too.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Albion on 20 July, 2014, 08:46:19 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 20 July, 2014, 12:07:38 AM
Was Tommy the tall one?

Weren't there brothers called Ramone?

Hence the name of the group.

The bands name was inspired by Paul McCartney's use of the pseudonym Paul Ramon during his early days.

I was thinking of the Ramones

I just read about this on Facebook

Last seen him in that western movie based on the television series he was well known for when he was a younger man. He was father of Mel Gibson's character's who was playing his original part.

Frank

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 21 July, 2014, 01:37:44 PM
Quote from: Albion on 20 July, 2014, 08:46:19 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 20 July, 2014, 12:07:38 AM
Was Tommy the tall one? Weren't there brothers called Ramone? Hence the name of the group.

The bands name was inspired by Paul McCartney's use of the pseudonym Paul Ramon during his early days.

I was thinking of the Ramones

ARF! If you're not Graham Linehan workshopping a new comedy character in the mould of Father Dougal McGuire or Moss from the IT Crowd, we should be paying you some kind of subscription for the service you're providing. Cheers, Thryllseekr.

Heath C Ackley

Sad to hear the loss of the great Dick Smith, special effects make-up supremo. I used to read about his techniques in Fangoria back way back when.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

rogue69

Jon "fat" Beast has passed away aged 51
The legendary indie music promoter of the late 80's early 90's &manager of CarterUSM

Trout

Quote from: rogue69 on 01 August, 2014, 12:35:49 AM
Jon "fat" Beast has passed away aged 51
The legendary indie music promoter of the late 80's early 90's &manager of CarterUSM

Rest in peace, you fat bastard.

(Somebody had to say it. It might as well have been me, another fat bastard.)

Sideshow Bob

I was saddened to hear of the death of Rod De'Ath at the early age of 63......
Rod was a fantastic drummer who played with the legendary Rory Gallagher on some of his greatest music in the 70's and 80's.
Check out the drumming on Bullfrog Blues or Going to my Home Town to hear the relentless 'driving beat'..
Great stuff !!
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

CrazyFoxMachine

Damned sad, I read this really interesting bit about him a while back in the ole' Classic Rock mag that I tracked down this morning via the Wayback machine...

Strange story, interesting character - sad loss.

Sideshow Bob

Thanks for that CFM but for some reason that 'link' will not open for me.....
Any chance you could post another,  as I'm always interested in that type of article..
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890